From exhausting helpers the 1st couple days to worrying about their hours the next...

• Thread starter selfcancelsignal
  • Start date

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
We had a helper this week that crapped his pants and worked like that for hours. Driver smelled something but didn't want to be rude. After he dropped the helper of he checked the seat and it had poop all over it. They had to clean the truck and remove the seat and treat it as a biohazard. The driver called off the next day.

Just when you think you've seen it all something else comes along.
Pity the mechanic who has to remove it.

9.5 everyday

Those numbers work out to an average of 300 stops and 500 packages. I'm not calling you a liar but I seriously doubt that these numbers are accurate.
You're pretty good at math. That's exactly what they work out to. In tight suburbs with all DR stops, it's really not that hard. They hold my 7 and 8000 sections and I fill back up at 3:00.

9.5 everyday

You're pretty good at math. That's exactly what they work out to. In tight suburbs with all DR stops, it's really not that hard. They hold my 7 and 8000 sections and I fill back up at 3:00.
And on Friday we did 170 stops in 4 hours. Literally every street has 5-10 stops. Multiple stretches where 3 and 4 homes in a row had something. And if you do the math UPState, that's 42.5 stops an hour. #justsayin'

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And on Friday we did 170 stops in 4 hours. Literally every street has 5-10 stops. Multiple stretches where 3 and 4 homes in a row had something. And if you do the math UPState, that's 42.5 stops an hour. #justsayin'

There was a Peak 10 years ago or so where one of the on cars was my helper. We did 75 stops in a tight residential section in 45 minutes.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
If I do the math correctly, that's about 75 stops in 45 minutes. I'm not calling you a liar, but I seriously doubt that.
Only if they were stopping the car and each of them were able to make 5 or 6 deliveries from the same park spot... If they had 15 or 20 streets no way... Or if they had a couple of retirement homes thAt each had 10 or 15 stops each.... I guarantee the stup was running and even if he was upstate wouldn't admit it

Coldworld

60 months and counting
On some routes helpers are a waste but UPS will still insist you have one and load you up with a ton more stops. Some routes a helper makes a big difference but other routes they end up slowing you down but UPS will try to pretend all routes are equal.
That's why the allowances are bs... You have 20 drivers doing a business stop and you will have many minutes difference between them all dealing with different issues but they all get about the same time... Scam

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Sometimes you have to tell them the consequences of their actions.
One call saying that you are dropping off your helper at the scheduled time, AND BY THE WAY I will need an air meet, ground meet and will be over 11.
OR I can keep him for another hour and a half and get my truck back in time. They will always let you keep the helper.

Those stops per hour they think you can do can't be attained in a blown out truck with irregs down the middle.
Hef they know the trucks are blown out they aren't that stupid but that just want the work done faster period... This is where the union has dropped the ball imo in regards to production harassment..

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Thursday I was allowed 3.67 helper hours and used him for 5.99. center manager told me on Friday that I am to follow their plan. Friday I was allowed 5.5 and used him for 5.49---the problem was their dispatched stops used to determine the 5.5 was off by 21 stops. I should have been allowed 7.5 hours.

The part that frustrates me is that I have been running at least an hour under which means that I have been using my helper effectively.

Most of the guys in the center are like you---they use them til they are done.
So you would be able to use your helper an extra 2 hours for only 21 more stops ... And you made bonus with a helper... I'm starting to thing no matter how " productive " you are that your current route has a decent amount of allowance....is that why you got off your country run is because this route plans better???

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Hef they know the trucks are blown out they aren't that stupid but that just want the work done faster period... This is where the union has dropped the ball imo in regards to production harassment..
how'd the Union drop the ball? Management only harasses you if you allow yourself to be harassed

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
LOL

You're helper worked more than me !!!!
Don't you drop him off with a full handcart like they teach and pick him up later ?!?! (LOL, we both know the answer to that )
Usually my answer to that would be "LOL, hell no," but this is the first helper I've had that picked up the diad like a pro on day 1 so I actually have dropped him off with a handtruck for an entire street twice now, however that's still a rare occurrence.

Last year I was getting 8.5-9.5hr dispatches (with helper factored in) for much of peak, but this year they're piling it on. That's fine. They have 17 business days left to abuse me before I go back on the 9.5.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
When I did peak in a rural town they had a POD where they shuttled out like 3-4 guys work like that and after lunch we'd swing by and load up again.

MendozaJ

Not sure what your route is like, but my helper delivered 1,500 stops this week with somewhere around 2,500 pieces. That's enough to exhaust even the most seasoned driver. My helper doesn't run, follows the methods, rules of my car and is in pretty good shape. It even exhausted me a bit just watching him do it.

I guess he doesn't yet realize UPS is not keeping him.

9.5 everyday

I guess he doesn't yet realize UPS is not keeping him.
He knows. This is his forth year as a seasonal helper, his second year with me. He's one of the very very few helpers that gets the job and understands hard work. Ive told him he'd make a great driver. I can't say that about many people.