From Part Time to 22.3 Questions

cajunboy

where is this in the contract? This is good to use in our hub. There are two people that I have going through this grievance right now.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

OK so a brief, consise, easy to read 22.3 progression.

-part-time employee bids into inside/inside combo - part-time employee KEEPS his rate, all hours, IF his/her part-time rate was higher than the starting progression wage. Otherwise he/she begins the progression at the HIGHER 15/hr wage and progresses 3 years until maxes out (2 years if began progression before Aug 1 2008)

-part-time employee bids into an inside/outside combo - part-time employee KEEPS his part-time inside rate, regardless of what rate it is (13/hr, 23/hr, etc) for INSIDE hours worked. This will remain the same except the contractual raises. Part-time employee must begin air or driving duties at the beginning progression wage, regardless of a part-time progression for air driving already done. (entirely different progressions, full-time and part-time)

This should clearly any misunderstanding up.

Anyone who has been had different treatment as above should GRIEVE GRIEVE GRIEVE.

cajunboy

When I grieved it they took me to the cleaners in Art. 40 sec. 6 par. friend. (p.144 new contract--yeah the one we got our ass handed to on). Here is what is says;

friend.​
Employees who are in existing full-time combination jobs or who hereafter enter a full-time
combination job shall be paid the appropriate full-time air rate for air driver work and appropriate inside
part-time rate for the hours worked in other classifications. If an employee has no established inside
rate, that employee will be paid the appropriate part-time rate in accordance with his Company seniority.

If you have any way around this let me know...

p.s. and how can I get around the 1:45 min break.
cajunboy

barrycold

when you take a 22.3 outside/inside job you will start at $13 outside and when you work inside it's your regular rate. You have 2 different wages. You will have to go through the air driver progression.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

when you take a 22.3 outside/inside job you will start at $13 outside and when you work inside it's your regular rate. You have 2 different wages. You will have to go through the air driver progression.

The national says an inside/outside job is FULL-TIME air driving. Full-time progression begins 15/hr, part-time air driver progression is 13

IDoLessWorkThanMost

When I grieved it they took me to the cleaners in Art. 40 sec. 6 par. friend. (p.144 new contract--yeah the one we got our ass handed to on). Here is what is says;

friend.​
Employees who are in existing full-time combination jobs or who hereafter enter a full-time
combination job shall be paid the appropriate full-time air rate for air driver work and appropriate inside
part-time rate for the hours worked in other classifications. If an employee has no established inside
rate, that employee will be paid the appropriate part-time rate in accordance with his Company seniority.

If you have any way around this let me know...

p.s. and how can I get around the 1:45 min break.
cajunboy

Does your supplement say that management can have you to take over an hour?

Up here we take one hour or less, although at times management would send me to lunch before 4 hours!

For instance, I work 6 - 10:30pm on the twi, take 50 minutes and punch in for 11:20 on the midnight shift. If management sends me to lunch at 9:50, I can punch in on the midnight at 10:50 and put around unloading bulk, taping up sort/air/exception charts, etc.

You should be able to take an hour and they must find you work after 1 hour lunch. Don't let them lay you off for almost 2 hours lunch unless you really want that much time!

Our local is against 1+ hour lunches moreso than UPS. It's strict we take 1 hour or less.

barrycold

The national says an inside/outside job is FULL-TIME air driving. Full-time progression begins 15/hr, part-time air driver progression is 13

b. Full-time air drivers will be paid as follows:
Start $13.50
Seniority $14.50
Seniority Date plus 12 months $15.00
Seniority Date plus 18 months $15.50
Seniority Date plus 24 months Top rate

cajunboy

The ft sup says that under art. 40 sec. 1 p3
Combinations which require more than a two (2) hour gap between jobs will normally not be used unless mutually agreed to by the Local Union and the employees.

I took the time to review our supplement and could not come up with anything?

what do you suggest?
cajunboy

barrycold

The ft sup says that under art. 40 sec. 1 p3
Combinations which require more than a two (2) hour gap between jobs will normally not be used unless mutually agreed to by the Local Union and the employees.

I took the time to review our supplement and could not come up with anything?

what do you suggest?
cajunboy

the 22.3 air driver jobs have 2 hour break that's why nobody wants the job.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

b. Full-time air drivers will be paid as follows:
Start $13.50
Seniority $14.50
Seniority Date plus 12 months $15.00
Seniority Date plus 18 months $15.50
Seniority Date plus 24 months Top rate

I stand corrected, thanks. I thought the new contract bumped it up to 14.50 pre-seniority. That's only for inside. Of course you aren't at 13.50 for very long (30 work days)

Last edited:

IDoLessWorkThanMost

the 22.3 air driver jobs have 2 hour break that's why nobody wants the job.

Some do, some don't. It depends on what UPS and Teamsters agree to. Also more importantly is past practice. If it's an existing job or a new one alongside other bids that are alike, and it was agreed to, it'll remain.

There's a job bid in our hub right now, 22.3 inside/outside with a 1 hour lunch - Tues-Sat 2am-11am.

cajunboy

so the drivers where barrycold have a 2 hr or less lunch, and IDLWTM (I have to say relatively I think you have the stronger local) does not.
I wish I knew this before I took the job. I have never heard of a Tues-Sat 2am-11am what do they do on sat. a shuttle? Yes I am at $14.50 an hour until next June. Wow that is tough for a growing family.
I have been taking walks around the hub when they make me punch out at 9, and I have seen many pt sups working. How would you suggest I handle it?
cajunboy

barrycold

so the drivers where barrycold have a 2 hr or less lunch, and IDLWTM (I have to say relatively I think you have the stronger local) does not.
I wish I knew this before I took the job. I have never heard of a Tues-Sat 2am-11am what do they do on sat. a shuttle? Yes I am at $14.50 an hour until next June. Wow that is tough for a growing family.
I have been taking walks around the hub when they make me punch out at 9, and I have seen many pt sups working. How would you suggest I handle it?
cajunboy

on the job bid it clearly states how long your break in between jobs are but it doesn't say anything about the air driver progression.

cajunboy

on the bid it only said air driver/ night sort. 4 and 4. That would have been awesome if it had said that on the bid. Knowing the break would be too easy.

CHECK THIS OUT

There is a second contingency shuttle that goes to our gateway at night. That is given as exception work to part timers. I told them why could I should be able bump him because he is a part timer and I am a FT driver. They said that would restructure my bid to a 6 and 2 on the night side. I discussed this with the night side and they said yeah we would go for it. Truth be told I don't want it b/c it would be a pay cut, but I need some leverage to minimize that gap. I did in fact file a grievance on this. We will see what happens in time. I have no representation on that shift, and my brothers have called on me to be steward on that side so I am still green with this.
cajunboy

IDoLessWorkThanMost

cajunboy

A two hour lunch would have been posted on the bid sheet. Usually there's asterisks *** and fine print.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

on the bid it only said air driver/ night sort. 4 and 4. That would have been awesome if it had said that on the bid. Knowing the break would be too easy.

CHECK THIS OUT

There is a second contingency shuttle that goes to our gateway at night. That is given as exception work to part timers. I told them why could I should be able bump him because he is a part timer and I am a FT driver. They said that would restructure my bid to a 6 and 2 on the night side. I discussed this with the night side and they said yeah we would go for it. Truth be told I don't want it b/c it would be a pay cut, but I need some leverage to minimize that gap. I did in fact file a grievance on this. We will see what happens in time. I have no representation on that shift, and my brothers have called on me to be steward on that side so I am still green with this.
cajunboy

Yeah it would be a pay cut, unless you were coded as 4-4 still. In our local, if you're a good boy :happy2:, management will code you as 4-4 to keep all parties happy but still say, have you run 8 hours of air. BTW I'm assuming your part-time years in is great enough to where you ended part-time with higher than 14.50/hr or so.

The break thing has nothing to do with who's a stronger local. It has to do with the job you're doing. We have 2 hour lunch air drivers up this way as well. Those are usually low-seniority ones (04-07). The 1 hour ones are mostly 01-04 seniority.

In our hub alone (not counting the other centers, I have all the bid sheets right in front of me :) ), there are 20 combo air driver jobs with 2 hour lunches and 6 with 1 hour lunch....

cajunboy

ok you win on that level. If what you say is true then how do you get a hold of those bids--rhetorical question (I DON'T WANT TO KNOW). The lunches were defininately not on the bid. ITS funny, but I asked the company for a copy of my bid and they told me NO company property. I am sure that is bull s--t.
cajunboy

IDoLessWorkThanMost

ok you win on that level. If what you say is true then how do you get a hold of those bids--rhetorical question (I DON'T WANT TO KNOW). The lunches were defininately not on the bid. ITS funny, but I asked the company for a copy of my bid and they told me NO company property. I am sure that is bull s--t.
cajunboy

You can always tell management you can't work that extra hour. Ask very kindly that you be moved to a 1 hour lunch and this would be especially fair since you had no idea it was a 2 hour lunch and the job is interfering with your (insert excuse here) schedule

If this doesn't fly, they will say "do you want the job, because we will remove you because you cannot commit to the hours and can't do the job"

At that point you tell them yes you want the job and end it there.

Then, goto you union hall OR talk to an informed steward and ask about the bid you took. Is there any recourse? You didn't know about the 2 hour lunch and it wasn't posted. When are the next bids? (here in NE we bid biannually now, it was annually)

If you want the job, try working with management. if they don't cooperate, tell them OK and leave. 2 hours it is. Then try union support.

I hope this helps!

barrycold

the 2 hour lunch is posted on the bid sheet. If you didn't like it you shouldn't have place a bid. That is what they are going to tell you. You can't ask for a hour lunch. That is your schedule and you can't do anything about it. If you're going to whine about it their going to ask you why did you place a bid on the job. You just have to deal with the 2 hour break in between.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

the 2 hour lunch is posted on the bid sheet. If you didn't like it you shouldn't have place a bid. That is what they are going to tell you. You can't ask for a hour lunch. That is your schedule and you can't do anything about it. If you're going to whine about it their going to ask you why did you place a bid on the job. You just have to deal with the 2 hour break in between.

Not necessarily, it depends on the boss. Some may be understanding and help him. Others may say SOL.