From the CFO

Dfigtree

“We are cautious, frankly,” Chief Financial Officer Kurt Kuehn told analysts and investors today on a conference call. “We don’t have any confidence that either demand or activity is going to pick up substantially” in the near term.

Ptrunner

895million profit and youre being told youre layed off.. this is unreal..hoffa is definitely going down if we dont get those jobs back..

cancun

Another fantastic job by a fantastic company making a profit in terrible economic conditions. Well done and be thankful you work for one of the great companies in the world.

Ptrunner

Another fantastic job by a fantastic company making a profit in terrible economic conditions. Well done and be thankful you work for one of the great companies in the world.

Maybe you wouldnt think they were so fantastic when you or someone you know has their life flipped upside down by being layed off, demoted to another shift which while you have kids and no sitter, or told youll have to wait for becoming full-time for another 10 years. They can afford to keep at least half of the jobs they have deleted. I dont owe UPS any graditude whatsoever for my job. They should be the ones with graditude since I come into work on time, do the job right and go home not injured. Without the employees UPS is nothing.

Dfigtree

At first I thought you were sarcastic but I think you are actually serious. Could be you need to be deprogrammed. Either that or maybe you enjoy having every facet of your workday measured and timed.

clueless

Yes, its its UPS.com go to the press room link..it pretty much has all the numbers on the 2quarter link

All companies file their earnings releases with the SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission) as 8-K's (current event reports) under item 2.02. UPS is no exception. These filings can be accessed free of charge and in real time to any member of the public via the EDGAR system. Here is the direct link to the relevant exhibit in the 8-K UPS filed today:

http://sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1090727/000095012309024734/g19842exv99w1.htm

tieguy

Banned
Maybe you wouldnt think they were so fantastic when you or someone you know has their life flipped upside down by being layed off, demoted to another shift which while you have kids and no sitter, or told youll have to wait for becoming full-time for another 10 years. They can afford to keep at least half of the jobs they have deleted. I dont owe UPS any graditude whatsoever for my job. They should be the ones with graditude since I come into work on time, do the job right and go home not injured. Without the employees UPS is nothing.

what a wonderful attitude.

cancun

We got to be a great company by not being afraid to make the tough decisions to run this business in good times and bad. But UPS made no promises to you when you were hired. Unfortunately jobs have been lost in some areas. You say we made a good profit, yes we did. But that profit goes back into the business to purchase new package cars, planes, etc. Cost cutting had to occur to keep this company profitable in order to pay your wages and benefits. I was able to retire a year ago after 35 years and it was because I worked for a great company I was able to leave at 55 and have a good pension, pay nothing for my benefits. Things are starting to turn around and when they do jobs and opportunities will be created.

sano

Things are tough in package right now.
However, I am glad I work for a company that is willing to look at the big picture.
It is painful when I am the cost they are cutting but much less painful than if they would ignore the economy and run the whole brown ship aground.
(I still reserve the right to whine and moan tomorrow morning when I am pulling what used to be 2 peoples work:happy-very:)

Overpaid Union Thug

I'm sure most of, if not all of, that 49% was the profit that UPS had projected and didn't earn because of the economy. Calm down people. There's no need for the same doom and gloom that started this whole thing to begin with.