From The Chairman: The 10-Step Plan

Star B

White Lightening
If Smith could have outsourced E2 and XS to Ground, he would have done it. But that would have threatened the RLA.

How would that have threatened the RLA? I would imagine that would strengthen the argument that Express is an airline.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Where did I advocate for disguised couriers to abuse a package?

Ahem. From the thread, "Time to Act-Up."

A few of us are thinking about making a YouTube video called "FedEx Football". Several couriers will play football with a customer package. All will be wearing sacks with slits over their heads and vehicle asset numbers etc. will all be masked off with tape.No tattoos, no visible addresses, and nothing else they can trace. Straight to YouTube.
In today's instant culture, some talking head telling everyone about how much FedEx sucks would get little interest. My "FedEx Football" idea is akin to last years monitor-tossing incident. Instant high level of interest, and lots of media attention. Timing is critical, and peak would be best because that's when the public has FedEx on their minds. "Monitor Man" wouldn't have garnered nearly as much attention if it hadn't been peak, nor would "FedEx Football".

It needs to be done during, or right before peak for maximum effect. The public needs to envision Grandma's fragile "Christmas Present" being tossed around with abandon before they get concerned enough to register any reaction.

If Smith could have outsourced E2 and XS to Ground, he would have done it.

You said it was a done deal.

Stop digging.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
How would that have threatened the RLA? I would imagine that would strengthen the argument that Express is an airline.

Express would still line haul the product. The legal argument could be made that having Ground contractors picking it up from the airport and delivering it wouldn't be "airline employees" like us.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Ahem. From the thread, "Time to Act-Up."

A few of us are thinking about making a YouTube video called "FedEx Football". Several couriers will play football with a customer package. All will be wearing sacks with slits over their heads and vehicle asset numbers etc. will all be masked off with tape.No tattoos, no visible addresses, and nothing else they can trace. Straight to YouTube.
In today's instant culture, some talking head telling everyone about how much FedEx sucks would get little interest. My "FedEx Football" idea is akin to last years monitor-tossing incident. Instant high level of interest, and lots of media attention. Timing is critical, and peak would be best because that's when the public has FedEx on their minds. "Monitor Man" wouldn't have garnered nearly as much attention if it hadn't been peak, nor would "FedEx Football".

It needs to be done during, or right before peak for maximum effect. The public needs to envision Grandma's fragile "Christmas Present" being tossed around with abandon before they get concerned enough to register any reaction.

You said it was a done deal.

Stop digging.

You have a lot of spare time for a busy "manager". It's almost like it's your job to monitor social media, not a FedEx Station. I totally believe that the E2/XS switch would have been made if Smith could pull it off. He couldn't without having a bunch of non-airline personnel (read Ground contractors) moving "airline" freight. This would have threatened the RLA status of Express.

I wish we had done the football deal.

vantexan

Express would still line haul the product. The legal argument could be made that having Ground contractors picking it up from the airport and delivering it wouldn't be "airline employees" like us.
But they don't care who delivers it once it leaves the jet. Picking pkgs up and putting on the jet is another matter. To tell you the truth I'm surprised FedEx hasn't gone with contractors for delivery, but it probably would incur huge transition problems.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
But they don't care who delivers it once it leaves the jet. Picking pkgs up and putting on the jet is another matter. To tell you the truth I'm surprised FedEx hasn't gone with contractors for delivery, but it probably would incur huge transition problems.

I think they do. Having Ground people at the ramp would involve SIDA badges and other security concerns involving airline operations. FedEx Express presents itself as an airline, when it is a systems integrator, just like UPS. Using the logic of FedEx, shouldn't UPS also be granted an Express Carrier Exemption, since both airline operations are essentially the same?

Most FedEx employees never see a FedEx plane, except in pictures, or set foot on an actual airport.

vantexan

I think they do. Having Ground people at the ramp would involve SIDA badges and other security concerns involving airline operations. FedEx Express presents itself as an airline, when it is a systems integrator, just like UPS. Using the logic of FedEx, shouldn't UPS also be granted an Express Carrier Exemption, since both airline operations are essentially the same?

Most FedEx employees never see a FedEx plane, except in pictures, or set foot on an actual airport.
Couldn't they have Express RTD drivers take freight to Ground stations? The ramps can remain employee only.

vantexan

I suppose they could, but then you're still intermingling the opcos.
Express would still be a scheduled airline that satisfies FAA employee requirements for picking up and transporting freight. But if it were doable and worth it they'd probably be doing it.

Star B

White Lightening
UPS Airlines is a separate company from UPS, Inc... hence the union differences.

I suppose they could, but then you're still intermingling the opcos.
So? Walmart Transportation delivers for Walmart, American Eagle flies for American and.... UPS Airlines flies for UPS.

All it really comes down to is control. As soon as FedEx can figure out how to legally control its ground contractors exactly like employees, expect massive turbulence at Express.

vantexan

UPS Airlines is a separate company from UPS, Inc... hence the union differences.

So? Walmart Transportation delivers for Walmart, American Eagle flies for American and.... UPS Airlines flies for UPS.

All it really comes down to is control. As soon as FedEx can figure out how to legally control its ground contractors exactly like employees, expect massive turbulence at Express.
All of your examples use regular employees, not contractors. As long as the FAA requires regular employees to handle freight until it reaches destination airport Ground at most can just deliver. Would definitely reduce the number of Express employees though.

MAKAVELI

Maybe you haven't heard about all the lawsuits against FedEx Ground for that "control". There is no way to have the type of control over it's contractors and drivers as they do at Express without becoming defacto employees. Thus having to pay everyone as employees and eliminating their profit margins.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

FedEx Airlines really flies for FedEx. They already control Ground contractors like employees, but I think Van hit it when he said the FAA wants employees, not contractors. On UPS, it's an all-union operation. Based on FedEx, UPS should be able to make their air ops non-union and then get an Express Carrier Exemption to ensure they can never go union again, This is Smith's special deal that keeps us down. More RLA Kryptonite.

59 Dano

That would only strengthen the argument that Express should be classified under the RLA.

59 Dano

You have a lot of spare time for a busy "manager". It's almost like it's your job to monitor social media, not a FedEx Station. I totally believe that the E2/XS switch would have been made if Smith could pull it off. He couldn't without having a bunch of non-airline personnel (read Ground contractors) moving "airline" freight. This would have threatened the RLA status of Express.

If you don't want your own idiocy thrown back in your face, stop posting such great quantities of it.

59 Dano

Express would still be a scheduled airline that satisfies FAA employee requirements for picking up and transporting freight. But if it were doable and worth it they'd probably be doing it.

No point in arguing the finer details of it when the premise itself is flawed.

59 Dano

There's nothing stopping you from playing dress-up radical. Che t-shirts would be a nice touch. Maybe you could dust off the voice gizmo that you didn't get to use during the seminar you conducted for that big social media company.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
That would only strengthen the argument that Express should be classified under the RLA.
Yeah, and we're all pilots too.

images

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
There's nothing stopping you from playing dress-up radical. Che t-shirts would be a nice touch. Maybe you could dust off the voice gizmo that you didn't get to use during the seminar you conducted for that big social media company.

It's McGruff, the FedEx crime dog. Lately you've really come after me, so I'm guessing whoever you report to has told you to try and discredit me. Good doggy.