Frustrated!!!

helenofcalifornia

I would start telling everyone that you want to split belts instead of load. Everyone, and loudly too. Of course they don't want to lose you as a loader, but seniority rules at UPS in job selection. (or should)

JonFrum

While I agree with you, the union doesn't (yay for Hoffa). Much has been written about UPS dumping loads at helpers' homes (or a neutral location) and having the helpers deliver the packages through bicycle (peddling as much as 200 lbs. at once -- for $8.50/hour!), golf cart or foot. At my center, UPS dumped two 48' trailers at a local mall and heaps of helpers deliver from them; the practice ended only because the mall wasn't happy the trailers were parked there all day and demanded extortion-rate rent.

One thing I've pondered about helpers: as an employee in the Central States region, I always earned $11.66 (later $12.88) when I worked as a helper, even though my inside wage had swelled beyond $20. For those inside employees living outside the Central States, do you earn your inside wage when you help? Or is it just $8.50/hour?
We have a trailer at the Mall all day as well. And probably other smaller bulk drops too.

New England has paid Helpers $9.50 for years.

In this Contract, current part-timers get $11.00, but the language seems to say the outside hires are entitled to Helper jobs first, and the insiders second.

gorilla75jdw

who caresa , look at the end of the day , you worked 4 maybe 5 hours at 10 or 11 bucks a hour , your the man , just keep your head down , nose in , bleed brown for 10 more years and maybe , just maybe you could get a combo job or a package driver job .

Notcool

Sounds like you have a good work ethic. Like others have said. Work smarter or you will burnout. The harder you push the more they will get you to cover the slack of your coworkers. You can still have a good reputation as a hard worker without being a speed demon. Have zero misloads and just do the minimum pph. Got to take care of your body too. The aches and pains start to kick in after years of loading.

BLACKBALLED

Doddsy08 unless you have no plans on becoming a driver, than go in to supervision, my advice would be not to, if you think you are frustrated now, wait to you become PT supervisor, your going to have good employees and bad employees, the good ones will eventually get tired of picking up the slack for the bad ones and constantly nag at you to do seomething about it, you go to your bm and he says who is it? you tell him, he says I will take care of it! but guess what he wont take care of jack because he dont care about you or your issues, he only cares about the numbers and if you dont make him look good he will be all over you like white on rice and you will get stressed and get on your employees and than before you know it the union comes at you and complains that you should not mess with the employees because they are complaining athat you are compplaining and making life hard on them, dont do it, it is not worth it.

UPSGUY72

UPSGUY72- I don't mean anything with disrespect, but I disagree with the majority of what you said. A year ago roughly, the hub supervisor addressed me and asked me to take the sort test. He choose me over everyone else and I got a dollar raise. Working harder than the guy next to me has gotten me a raise and a filler position up on the sort aisle. By doing what I can and working hard, the present, will eventually get me the position I seek, the future. I choose to work hard so I stand out. And those that stand out will be recognized. It may be difficult to stay positive, but I haven't given up yet. There is aways in exception, and I was that when the hub sup choose me to take the sort test over those with higher seniority. I agree with you that work life and home life should stay separated! It can't be healthy to have work effect your home life. I'm trying my best. I would like to thank you for your time, but it's clear we disagree. Thank you.

There are NO exceptions when it comes to BID jobs seniority rules. What you don't understand is that the only reason you got a sorting job is because no one else with more seniority wants it. You may be working harder than the guy next to you that has more seniority good for u. But that same guy might be dragging his feet on purpose. Some people with more seniority than you might look at the $1 hour raise for sorting, or what ever other position not worth the hassle of that job and prefer to just stay were they are.

Working hard is going to make you stand out. Your going to be giving more work that the guy next to you doing the same job for the same pay. You might even be asked if you would like to be a PT SUP. Again they are going to ask you because nobody else wants that position.