Frustrating Medical Certificate Dilemma

nystripe96

Ok, so I had a class B license before I started at UPS. I received two medical certificates BTW....my initial CDL certificate for my class B, & the one through UPS when I passed my road test last summer which expires July 2015. I understand a CDL is not required to drive a UPS package car, however supposedly since my class B medical info was not updated properly in the DMV system it says as of June 10th I am now classified a class D & my current medical certificate is not valid. Which is fine, I don't mind having a class D again it's no big deal. The DMV site now says I'm ineligible to drive a commercial vehicle but my license is valid as a class D, even though it says B on my license ughhhh WTF!!? Is UPS package driver considered commercial or am I ok if I got pulled over or god forbid an accident? My medical certificate through UPS says expiration July 2015. The UPS certified medical should have nothing to do with my CDL license so I'm extremely perturbed. I feel like the DMV screwed me or my CDL updated medical info got lost in the mail. I am utterly befuddled & nervous as to what could happen if I'm pulled over etc, even though I know I did absolutely nothing wrong. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. If that was confusing I'm sorry, cuz I'm confused myself :(

Sent using BrownCafe App

If you got pulled over? The cop would have to act based on what's in front of him and that might not be in your favor.

Best get all that straightened out pronto.

nystripe96

I just read in a letter I received "you are no longer medically certified to operated any commercial vehicle that requires a CDL". There's my proof that I think I'll be ok in this matter cuz I don't need a CDL to drive for UPS & my license is indeed valid

Sent using BrownCafe App

oldngray

nowhere special
Package car drivers don't need a commercial license. Just a drivers license with a DOT card. At one time they needed a chauffeurs license but those no longer exist so just a regular drivers license is all you need now.

By The Book

I just read in a letter I received "you are no longer medically certified to operated any commercial vehicle that requires a CDL". There's my proof that I think I'll be ok in this matter cuz I don't need a CDL to drive for UPS & my license is indeed valid

Sent using BrownCafe App
Sounds like your class b expired when you didn't do the medical examination. My wife received a letter about hers expiring when she drove for a city transit company. She just let hers expire as well. Your good to go until July 2015.

By The Book

My license still says class B, that's ok?

Sent using BrownCafe App
DMV may send you a revised license without the class b designation. I'm waiting to see how they do my wife's as well. I think a class b license is inclusive of the lower classifications, such as your class d.

By The Book

Ok good to know. Thanks for the piece of mind

Sent using BrownCafe App
My wife mentioned that if she was to get pulled over with an active CDL the points/ penalty a would be more severe than a normal drivers license. So since she's not doing commercial driving any more she's kind of relieved.

iowa boy

Package car drivers don't need a commercial license. Just a drivers license with a DOT card. At one time they needed a chauffeurs license but those no longer exist so just a regular drivers license is all you need now.

In certain states this is not true. Here in Iowa, I'm required to have a chauffeurs license due to the weight of the truck. But in Nebraska and South Dakota all you need is a drivers license or a CDL with DOT card to drive anything.

And going back to the OP, I thought the Feds now require the CDL holder to update their medical certificate with the DOT, not the Dr's office.

bluebiker

Update medical cert every renewal that's how it works in Maryland

Big John

I think the laws have changed, since May medical examiners have to be certified. I renewed my license in NJ Oct 2012, it's a 4 yr license and just got a letter from NJ DMV that, "my previous certificate had expired" and I had to send a copy of my current one.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Actually, here in NY, we need a Class C non-CDL, which is a step above a Class C.

Stripe needs to get this straightened out.