Frustration: when 'customer A' is actually 'customer B'

iruhnman630

Situation I faced today: delivered to a school building with 2 separate schools, which I will call 'school A' and 'school B.'

Package was addressed to 'B', so I delivered to 'B' only told be told the package actually goes to 'A' on the other side of the building, only 'A' is closed due to the storms and 'B' will not sign for them.

Perplexed, I asked 'So this does not say 'B'?'

'Yes, it does, but it goes to 'A''

'Just curious...how am I supposed to know that?'

'We have had this conversation with UPS several times. The other driver knows this.'

Silly UPS driver, delivering the package as addressed. What could I possibly have been thinking?

iruhnman630

Sheet A as refused rts that sumbitch lol. If that's how they want to play the game 2 can play it lol.
Two separate schools...you wouldn't do that to two separate businesses that share an office building. It will get delivered tomorrow assuming the power is back on. But I definitely had a Dilbert moment dealing with this one. I think my face turned red and smoke came out of my ears.

UPSGUY72

Situation I faced today: delivered to a school building with 2 separate schools, which I will call 'school A' and 'school B.'

Package was addressed to 'B', so I delivered to 'B' only told be told the package actually goes to 'A' on the other side of the building, only 'A' is closed due to the storms and 'B' will not sign for them.

Perplexed, I asked 'So this does not say 'B'?'

'Yes, it does, but it goes to 'A''

'Just curious...how am I supposed to know that?'

'We have had this conversation with UPS several times. The other driver knows this.'

Silly UPS driver, delivering the package as addressed. What could I possibly have been thinking?

Sheet as need Suite or NSP/C after a couple of times the shipper will put the correct delivery location. This is the only way to fix the problem.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
How about the regular driver growing a pair and training them that you deliver to A or B, not both unless it says A or B. If they have a problem they can call 1- 800 - PICK - UPS. If they want to act like separate entities, I'll treat them like that

542thruNthru

Ive had to deal with this so much. I get this a lot at colleges. The problem was it was always after I had just delivered to that del point. It would also happen 2-3 times a week. I got fed up with it. Now its. "I'm sorry Sir I would love to help you but the package says its for you. If you are refusing to take it then it will be sent back to the shipper." I did that 5 times before I was confronted by someone. He wanted to know in his words " what is so hard about going back and giving it to them!?" I said I don't have time to deliver packages back and forth between you guys all day. Then wrote REFUSED in big letters on the package right in front of him. He excepted the package :-)

rod

Retired 22 years
Ive had to deal with this so much. I get this a lot at colleges. The problem was it was always after I had just delivered to that del point. It would also happen 2-3 times a week. I got fed up with it. Now its. "I'm sorry Sir I would love to help you but the package says its for you. If you are refusing to take it then it will be sent back to the shipper." I did that 5 times before I was confronted by someone. He wanted to know in his words " what is so hard about going back and giving it to them!?" I said I don't have time to deliver packages back and forth between you guys all day. Then wrote REFUSED in big letters on the package right in front of him. He excepted the package :-)

I would have told them "a mind is a terrible thing to waste' as I was writting RTS on it.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Customer is always right. Make em happy.

But the thing is I have other customers who are waiting for me, they actually want to sign for their packages, and I need to make them happy too. I cant do that if I am wasting time wandering all over a building and getting jerked around trying to obtain a signature. I'm a reasonable guy but if the customers arent going to make any effort to correctly address their orders then I will just let our clerks do it. I would sheet it NSP and try again tomorrow.

The trick is to learn the name of the person highest in authority at a biz and drop that name. " oh, it's not for you? Well Joe Schmoe said you accept it but if you want to refuse it........(starts rtsing).......how do you spell your name?"

Gets you a signature every time.

But the thing is I have other customers who are waiting for me, they actually want to sign for their packages, and I need to make them happy too. I cant do that if I am wasting time wandering all over a building and getting jerked around trying to obtain a signature. I'm a reasonable guy but if the customers arent going to make any effort to correctly address their orders then I will just let our clerks do it. I would sheet it NSP and try again tomorrow.
I guess that's why I'm doing 65 70 stops.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is a no-win situation. You want to take care of the customer without being taken advantage of. The OP followed the methods by attempting to deliver the package as addressed. The consignee refused to accept delivery, even though the package was addressed to them. The reflex action would be to say screw the consignee and RTS the package. The right thing to do would be to do an ADC in the DIAD and re-deliver the package; however, since they were closed due to the storms, the package should have been brought back to the center so that it could be ADC'd and put out for delivery the following day.

I deliver to our local college. The receiver at the library asks me to deliver larger packages addressed to her to the warehouse so their employees can deliver them. I kindly but firmly tell her that the packages are addressed to her, the warehouse will not accept them and they will be sent back to the shipper if she doesn't want them.

Last edited: