Frustration: when 'customer A' is actually 'customer B'

oldngray

nowhere special
I had many places with more than 1 stop with same address or no suite # etc. I would look at the packages before delivering and could tell where it really needed to go. I wouldn't run all over the place after I was at stop though. And I wouldn't expect a cover driver to have that route knowledge.

upschuck

I've had many a customer to try to want more from the cover driver, both when I covered, and those that covered for me.

This is a no-win situation. You want to take care of the customer without being taken advantage of. The OP followed the methods by attempting to deliver the package as addressed. The consignee refused to accept delivery, even though the package was addressed to them. The reflex action would be to say screw the consignee and RTS the package.

I deliver to our local college. The receiver at the library asks me to deliver larger packages addressed to her to the warehouse so their employees can deliver them. I kindly but firmly tell her that the packages are addressed to her, the warehouse will not accept them and they will be sent back to the shipper if she doesn't want them.

So.......in the second half of your post you do what you said shouldn't be done in the first half of your post?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So.......in the second half of your post you do what you said shouldn't be done in the first half of your post?

In the second part of my post I am talking about packages addressed to the library that are supposed to go to the library. The receiving clerk simply doesn't want to deal with them and tries to get me to bring them to the college warehouse, which is a totally separate building and address, so that their employees can deliver them.

In the second part of my post I am talking about packages addressed to the library that are supposed to go to the library. The receiving clerk simply doesn't want to deal with them and tries to get me to bring them to the college warehouse, which is a totally separate building and address, so that their employees can deliver them.

And the OP is talking about walking into building A with a package labeled for A and the person says it belongs to B.

Nowz Iz onleze gotziz mes and Hygh Schoul edumacation (except for my degree in electronics which doesn't come in too handy at UPS) butts itz sowndzez lyke duh saim sityatshun.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I would have told them "a mind is a terrible thing to waste' as I was writting RTS on it.

Ironic coming from a person performing a job which requires little more than a HS diploma.

Writting?

We have only heard the story from a cover driver's point of view. I would love to hear from the regular driver to see how he handles this or if it is evenj an issue for him.

It's only fair.

​-Bug-

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And the OP is talking about walking into building A with a package labeled for A and the person says it belongs to B.

Nowz Iz onleze gotziz mes and Hygh Schoul edumacation (except for my degree in electronics which doesn't come in too handy at UPS) butts itz sowndzez lyke duh saim sityatshun.

Both A and B are in the same building. In the example I gave the packages are properly addressed (2 Draper Ave) and the clerk always tries to get me to bring the bigger ones to the warehouse (101 Broad St) to have their employees deliver them back to the right office within 2 Draper Ave.

It does sound as though the consignee may be trying to take advantage of a cover driver.

Rainman

Its all good.
Situation I faced today: delivered to a school building with 2 separate schools, which I will call 'school A' and 'school B.'

Package was addressed to 'B', so I delivered to 'B' only told be told the package actually goes to 'A' on the other side of the building, only 'A' is closed due to the storms and 'B' will not sign for them.

Perplexed, I asked 'So this does not say 'B'?'

'Yes, it does, but it goes to 'A''

'Just curious...how am I supposed to know that?'

'We have had this conversation with UPS several times. The other driver knows this.'

Silly UPS driver, delivering the package as addressed. What could I possibly have been thinking?
Address correction, bill the shipper, someone will get it straight pretty quickly. Especially if its something that they need quickly. More revenue for the company, less hassle for you.