FT bid run getting bumped off

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I am in 294 in upstate. If you have a bid route. Say " no I'm staying on my bid area." You don't have to go any where. It is their problem if they don't have the correct manning. That is the reason for bids. Does Dave bounce also. He is a bid driver. There is no way in hell I'm moving. Unless I agree. It. 'S not happening.

Overpaid Union Thug

I work in upstate ny been there 15 years. I am a full time package car driver I have a steady bid run same run everyday. So I thought, since I've started my run in February there has a been a total of 3 weeks that I was on my run all 5 days the rest of the weeks I've been getting bumped off it to cover other drivers runs and a cover driver more times then not covers my bid run. Our union president 687 who sells us union members out on a steady baises unbelievable its pretty black & white in the national master agreement. I'm going to be honest I'm getting pretty frustrated here need advice please
Say that you are running your bid route. If you are forced off (told to work as directed) then file for each day and not for the week. That'll at least keep the steward, center manager, and local busy and maybe they'll get sick of you and follow the contract for once. If the person that ran your route works longer hours than you then you need to also demand the difference in pay between the route you ran and the route you are supposed to be running. Include that on each daily grievance. Monetary grievances tend to get more attention. Especially if the center hasn't been told by the district team to violate without worrying about monetary grievances.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am in 294 in upstate. If you have a bid route. Say " no I'm staying on my bid area." You don't have to go any where. It is their problem if they don't have the correct manning. That is the reason for bids. Does Dave bounce also. He is a bid driver. There is no way in hell I'm moving. Unless I agree. It. 'S not happening.

It has been a few years but I have jumped to help out.

Steve is not being given a choice.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
If it were only that easy...

Steve is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Why?

We had (probably still have) drivers that would run routes other than their bid routes, but they didn't have to.

I forget if it was in the master or our supplement, but if a less senior driver was running your route when you were bumped to a different one, you could refuse and run your own route.

Steve must be a low-seniority driver if it happens all the time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why?

We had (probably still have) drivers that would run routes other than their bid routes, but they didn't have to.

I forget if it was in the master or our supplement, but if a less senior driver was running your route when you were bumped to a different one, you could refuse and run your own route.

Steve must be a low-seniority driver if it happens all the time.

He is one of our newer seniority drivers. As I said, our center manager considers us all to be cover drivers. I could walk in Monday and be told I am going to Chateaugay. I would grab my DIAD and run my area.

3 done 3 to go

When you guys signed your bid sheet? Was there any words that said for all drivers are to be used as cover drivers? . Our has (WAD) WORK AS DIRECTED. Which only means for extra work added. If the route doesn't have enough work for an 8 hr day. Not to go on a different area. When your full area is running. I'd try a grievance signed by all of your bid drivers challenging the fact.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
We were always told they can only pull you off your bidded route 1 day a week and that is it, unless your route is cut out that day of course. And if your route is cut out that day and they ask you to run a different route, see if a less senior driver can cover it that day. If they ask you to cover a route you don't have to cover it unless they don't have a less senior driver or a body for it. Remember if your a bidded driver another bidded driver cant bump you, even if he has more seniority than you if your route is cut out that day and his is in. That's not the way it works, you have the right to go home that day if your route is cut out and the more senior driver who has a bidded route will be forced to work. I see that game all the time by some of these asczzclowns who try and get a less senior driver who also has a bidded route, they try to get them to run their route when the other guys route is cut that day. So in a nutshell ive always known it to be they can take you off your bidded route only 1 day a week and that's it, and if they try for more than 1 time a week you can file a grievance on it and refuse to do it.

3 done 3 to go

If no one challenges the fact. Tough for all of you. Just tuck your tails between your legs. Hide in a corner. So far, that is what you higher seniority guys and your steward is doing. Our center has 6-8 guys who would not go for that bull crap. We would call them out.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Lower and I have like 3-4 lower FT COVER drivers below me not including the PT covers

Dave will tell you because I'm retired, I probably shouldn't be answering. But, look in the NMA and your supplement for language covering this situation.

Like I said earlier, at least in my area, if you had a bid route, and were forced to run a different route, you could refuse if a lower seniority driver was assigned to your bid route that day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When Steve first told me about this I gave him the union local phone number and told him to call. He did; unfortunately, our BA agrees with the center manager on this.

The only way this is going to end is for someone who has been "asked" to jump to say no, grab their DIAD and go on their run.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
When Steve first told me about this I gave him the union local phone number and told him to call. He did; unfortunately, our BA agrees with the center manager on this.

The only way this is going to end is for someone who has been "asked", Steve, to jump to say no, grab their DIAD and go on their run.

trickpony1

Upstate-
Since you seem to have considerable stroke in your center why don't you have a "sit down" with your center manager and the BA and explain the facts to the center manager?

Overpaid Union Thug

We were always told they can only pull you off your bidded route 1 day a week and that is it, unless your route is cut out that day of course. And if your route is cut out that day and they ask you to run a different route, see if a less senior driver can cover it that day. If they ask you to cover a route you don't have to cover it unless they don't have a less senior driver or a body for it. Remember if your a bidded driver another bidded driver cant bump you, even if he has more seniority than you if your route is cut out that day and his is in. That's not the way it works, you have the right to go home that day if your route is cut out and the more senior driver who has a bidded route will be forced to work. I see that game all the time by some of these asczzclowns who try and get a less senior driver who also has a bidded route, they try to get them to run their route when the other guys route is cut that day. So in a nutshell ive always known it to be they can take you off your bidded route only 1 day a week and that's it, and if they try for more than 1 time a week you can file a grievance on it and refuse to do it.

Here seniority protects senior drivers from having to work while a less senior bid driver goes home because their route is cut.