FT bid run getting bumped off

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Upstate-
Since you seem to have considerable stroke in your center why don't you have a "sit down" with your center manager and the BA and explain the facts to the center manager?

We have had this discussion. Quite simply they are unwilling (lazy) to train new drivers and would rather move FT drivers as needed.

I have to wonder how many of you who are telling Steve to say "NO" from behind the safety and anonymity of your keyboard would actually do that in real life.

Steve has to work in this center. Yes, he has a bid route and, yes, he is getting screwed by being forced to jump, but he is working every day, providing for his family. Saying "NO" could very well put all of that at jeopardy.

If our BA had a set as big as his waistline this would not be an issue.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
We have had this discussion. Quite simply they are unwilling (lazy) to train new drivers and would rather move FT drivers as needed.

I have to wonder how many of you who are telling Steve to say "NO" from behind the safety and anonymity of your keyboard would actually do that in real life.

Steve has to work in this center. Yes, he has a bid route and, yes, he is getting screwed by being forced to jump, but he is working every day, providing for his family. Saying "NO" could very well put all of that at jeopardy.

Then you file grievance after grievance after grievance. You make a statement. Also, whenever they bump you (bs) off of your bid route, follow the methods to a T, and be as over as you can be without being dumb (so they can't gig you on anything)

trickpony1

Upstate-
There's a thing called a "contract", which is an agreement between two or more parties.

Is there language regarding this issue in the contract? I don't know....haven't been in PC since before some of you were born.

Perhaps educated parties can "sit down" and explore the contract for any related language.....and then implement it.

Inthegame

Without knowing your exact language, I'd expect there is an allowance to permit UPS to do just about anything in "emergency" situations. However not training isn't an emergency. I'd get a few more guys to light up the BA.
Pulling bid holders off their bids is unusal and would raise eyebrows at a panel.
Sounds like a lazy center manager.

Overpaid Union Thug

He doesn't have to simply say no. The trick is to show them he means business. He needs to come in and grab his DIAD and the steward and be firm in telling them that he is running his route. And should tell them it's the their responsibility to get unassigned drivers trained on the other routes. And remind them that that is what the ON CAR in the title On Car Supervisor entails. And that they can learn them blind if need be.

At that point they'd have to pull their work as directed card and he'd have to work on the other route and he would file and definitely ask for the difference in pay should the driver on his route work later. And do that every single day it happens.

And it sounds like a call should be made to the local president. If the BA isn't getting this fixed then I'd definitely go that route.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

He doesn't have to simply say no. The trick is to show them he means business. He needs to come in and grab his DIAD and the steward and be firm in telling them that he is running his route. And should tell them it's the their responsibility to get unassigned drivers trained on the other routes. And remind them that that is what the ON CAR in the title On Car Supervisor entails. And that they can learn them blind if need be.

At that point they'd have to pull their work as directed card and he'd have to work on the other route and he would file and definitely ask for the difference in pay should the driver on his route work later. And do that every single day it happens.

And it sounds like a call should be made to the local president. If the BA isn't getting this fixed then I'd definitely go that route.
I fought this battle in my center and won without a fight from ups labor in hearing......further more in my local we have to refuse to come off a bid route

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Steve is the "aggrieved party".... Not the BA.

It is Steve, who has to initiate the process and insist on his contractual rights.

It sounds like he is afraid of making waves, and wants to hide behind

the Union (and blame them).... using the excuse of "I have a family".

My previous suggestion would solve his problem....

and stave off any similar issues in the future.

-Bug-

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

I would.

Unions reps are not social workers. It's not my job (or your BA's job) to hold someone's hand and tell them everything is going to be OK. It's your steward's job to provide Steve all of the advice and information he needs and the BA's job to make sure it gets done.

The Milkman

I work in upstate ny been there 15 years. I am a full time package car driver I have a steady bid run same run everyday. So I thought, since I've started my run in February there has a been a total of 3 weeks that I was on my run all 5 days the rest of the weeks I've been getting bumped off it to cover other drivers runs and a cover driver more times then not covers my bid run. Our union president 687 who sells us union members out on a steady baises unbelievable its pretty black & white in the national master agreement. I'm going to be honest I'm getting pretty frustrated here need advice please

I sort of had the same type of problem. Being a cover driver for about 8 years before getting a bid route I would be yanked because of the area knowledge ploy. Also during summer months they would eliminate my route on Mondays to fill other routes with extra work. You have to send a message everytime you are bumped off your route. Mine was to run well over the plan and have an stress free day while doing it. Any feedback from the stooges was met with" Hey it's been some time since I was last out here, new developments, etc. I am doing the best I can"

They would rather deal with you instead of teaching the newbies new areas. They cater to the newer drivers. Nothing like being bumped off your route after 15 years and have a 3 year driver do your route while you do one that you have not been on for a few years, escpecially during peak

Johney

If Steve is running these other runs productively they will continue to do what is easiest for them. So again....numbers are their world if Steve keeps running it up their ass they will not move him anymore.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If Steve is running these other runs productively they will continue to do what is easiest for them. So again....numbers are their world if Steve keeps running it up their ass they will not move him anymore.

Steve does a good job. He is not a runner/gunner by any means. He takes pride in what he does and won't screw the customers just to make a point.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Steve does a good job. He is not a runner/gunner by any means. He takes pride in what he does and won't screw the customers just to make a point.

Steve needs to stand up for himself and tell management he wants to run his own route, and your stewards and BA need to do their jobs.

Dr.Brownz

"Lazy" may be a bit harsh.

Using available resources in the most optimum manner possible may be the better response.

No that is spin to make the center manager and other management not seem lazy. If someone is being continually asked to change routes there is no point in even bidding routes