FT Driver got a DUI last night

The first thing this driver needs to do is get a lawyer and plea this charge down to a reckless driving charge, if possible.

I can relate (at least part of )what has happened here with DUIs. One driver in case, lost his driving permit and after many court hearings received a "work related only permit", meaning he could drive to and from work and while at work. The kicker came when someone in the district office found out, they determined that the work permit was not good for commercial vehicles and that package cars are commercial vehicles in this situation. The union says that since our trucks can be operated with a standard operator license that they should not be considered commercial( hearings still pending on this). The driver in question has been working inside at a lower pay rate in the meantime, the DUI drops off in a couple of months and he can go back to driving.

In my center, I have seen several DUIs, including 1 guy that got fired. The driver MUST call the center and report. Calling in sick will result in immediate termination. If the judge allows the driver to get an occupational license, the driver may go back to work, but should expect that to take 30 days. If the driver cannot get an occupational license and have to serve a suspension, he/she has 365 days to get their license back. At 366 days, UPS can term and the union will not get the employee's job back.

If it is a feeder driver, it may be a different story, as CDL holders have tougher DUI rules.

I don't really have any sympathy for any professional driver that gets a DUI. I hope he gets fired.

TB
I hope YOU never mess up.

filthpig

We had a guy about a year ago get a DUI. He worked in the hub for about 90 days I think. Then he got his work permit and is driving now. Like they said just be sure to tell the boss-man immediately! And don't let it happen again.

B

brown observer

Anybody watch this TV show call "Little People,Big World"? This about a midget (dwarf?) couple raising children in a real world situation. Anyway, the father recently got pulled over in Oregon for drunk driving. He refused the breathalyzer test saying he didn't trust the cop administering the test. The courts agreed with him and the drunk driving was dropped. Maybe this guy should contact the lawyer this guy used...sounds like a winner!

moreluck

golden ticket member
brownobserver.....that's one of my favorite shows (Little People In a Big World)......but the episode hasn't aired here yet showing he gets off. I guess I don't have to worry for Matt Roloff now.

Tony31yrs

When I was working, we had a number of guys over the years that got DUI's and had to work inside while their license was suspended. One guy never learned and after 3 strikes he was let go. What a waste of 10-15 years of seniority. UPS offers counseling if you need it.

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
Ah - I knew the stone throwers were out there

I throw stones at people who drink and drive! Never have I done this in my lifetime. Probably because I don't drink.(Yet)

I could care less if the guy was drinking..Just shouldn't have been driving.

Rod if this guy had killed your son/wife/daughter/family member, would you NOT cast stones?

I would turn my own mother in if I saw her drinking and driving! <----Thats the truth too!

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
I'll bet you would:happy2:

:happy2:
dwi_dead_driver_giveaway_news_graph.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BCFan
I gotta agree let's not reaffirm what we all know is wrong ,rather we should be supportive BC
In NO WAY would I support someone who could have possibly killed me or my family..Or even "you".

In NO WAY would I support someone who could have possibly killed me or my family..Or even "you".

I'm thinking the support that BC is referring to is not to support the drinking and driving, but to support someone in need of help to solve a personal problem. You may not drink and drive, but I am willing to bet that you have a personal problem of some type that a little support might help you overcome.
As far as someone "who could have possibly killed me or my family.", well that describes anyone on the road, on any given day or night. Drinking or not.

over9five

Staff member
Think of the millions of people every day who have a drink or two with their meal at a restaurant. Every one of these people drive home somewhat impaired.

So tell me why it is legal to serve alcohol in a restaurant WHERE YOU KNOW EVERYONE HAS TO DRIVE AFTER????

It's a huge double standard. It is illegal to drink and drive, BUT it is legal to drink in a restaurant where you HAVE to drive after! And don't give me the designated driver line. If you think that happens even 3% of the time, you're dreaming.

barnyard

KTM rider
I hope YOU never mess up.

But for the grace of God, there go I. I have been sober for almost 20 years. I doubt that I will see myself in that situation.

I have seen 5 relatives killed by drunk drivers in 3 different accidents. Driving is a priviledge not a right and the punishments for driving drunk are not severe enough (the 3 killers of my relatives all served less than 5 years, the 1 that killed 2 served 5.)

TB

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
first off, several of you have posted that this could happen to you, kinda like an accident might. There is a difference.

In an accident, things happen to you and your environment that you dont have control over, you just have to react to what is happening. When you drink and drive, you knowingly put people at risk. When you drink, knowing you are going to drive afterwards, to me that is premeditation.

I too have had several family members killed, by those DUI. My wife had two familly members and thier wives that were going out for pizza for the kids that were stopped at a red light and were hit and burned by a DUI running from the law. Sorry, First offence, you lose your car and your licence for a year, manditory rehab. Second time around, 5 years, no time off for good behavior. Third time, you are gone. Too many people killed by those that have been nailed 5+ times.

Back to the original question, the part of the contract that was stated deals with Losing your licence doing things the company told you to do that were against the law. They have no obligation to give you employment if you lose your licence. But usually, if you are 100% honest with them, and it was not on the job, most likely they will allow you to work inside for the time you are without a licence. They also can make rehab a stipulation for that inside job as well.

d

upsmanckp

This is a very volatile thread as it turns out.
No one in their right mind can condone what has been done. We are exposed to people out there driving while impaired everyday. (not just at closing time)
I have professed my opinion on the deed as well.
The issue is the aftermath.
I really appreciate the forum here to glean advice. Thanks for your posts so far.

A

Anonymous GearJammer

From FMCSA book:

Subpart D — Driver Disqualifications and Penalties

§383.51 Disqualification of drivers.

For a first conviction or refusal to be tested while operating a non-CMV, a CDL holder must be disqualified from operating a CMV for (1) one year.

For a second conviction or refusal to be tested in a separate incident of any combination of offenses in this Table while operating a non-CMV, a CDL holder must be disqualified from operating a CMV for life.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
By the way, those two brothers and their wives left behind 7 kids under 12. The guy spent a little over three years in jail. He had more than 10 prior arrests. This was the first time he had run.

All that being said, I know of at least three senior drivers that stop by the store right down the street from the center, buy 3+ beers to drink on the way home. Single cans, kept on ice next to the register.

I figure if they ever hurt someone, the 7-11 should be held responsible as well. After all, single beers on ice? Why else would they sell it that way except for someone to drink while they are driving home?

d