FT Driver got a DUI last night

rod

Retired 22 years
All that being said, I know of at least three senior drivers that stop by the store right down the street from the center, buy 3+ beers to drink on the way home. Single cans, kept on ice next to the register.

I figure if they ever hurt someone, the 7-11 should be held responsible as well. After all, single beers on ice? Why else would they sell it that way except for someone to drink while they are driving home?
d
Some states do allow single can sales- some don't. I would have more of a problem with some 16 year old trying to text message and drive at the same time than I would with some Joe Smuck having a cool one for the road after a hot day at UPS. Maybe cell phones should be outlawed for anyone under 21.:peaceful: now I've done it - I threw a stone at teenage cellphone users

outta hours

Thought I would throw another log on the fire. So for all you non drinkers who sleep 6 hours or less a night this one's for you.

Facts About Drowsy Driving
The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates that 100,000 of reported crashes occur as a result of drowsiness, and considers sleep deprived drivers a hazard equal in severity to drunk drivers. Studies show that staying awake for 18 hours and driving produces the same effect as being legally drunk behind the wheel. The greater the sleep deprivation, the closer the correlation to higher levels of intoxication.
Actual statistics on crashes, injuries and fatalities caused by drowsy driving are difficult to calculate as there is no way to test the fatigue level of drivers. The cost, damages, injuries, and fatalities resulting from sleep deprived drivers have been estimated at $12.5 billion.

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
It is illegal to drink and drive, BUT it is legal to drink in a restaurant where you HAVE to drive after!

If you knew you "HAD" to drive home, shouldn't you NOT drink while at the restaurant? If you did get caught, while driving home wouldn't this be considered D.U.I?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

local804

Not everyone drinks and will drive so the rock in the glass house theory can stick it. Way too many times and instances do I hear of or know someone that is dead due dwi or drugs while driving.I am not saying I dont drink, who doesnt like to get plastered every now and then, but lets be serious. Dont quote me on this, but last I heard in NY, a commercial driver with a dwi conviction, will NOT have a cdl anymore. Your drivers license is a privilege not a constitutional right light a gun or speech.

over9five

Staff member
If you knew you "HAD" to drive home, shouldn't you NOT drink while at the restaurant? If you did get caught, while driving home wouldn't this be considered D.U.I?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Of course it would! That is the point I'm trying to make. If DUI is illegal, then why is it legal to serve alcohol in a restaurant where 98% of your patrons HAVE to drive after drinking? If we were serious about DUI, there would be no alcohol at restaurants (or bars, clubs, etc). OBVIOUSLY, people who drink alcohol at bars, restaurants, etc and drive home afterwards are DUI! Why do we allow this to happen (if we are serious about DUI?)

local804

Think of the millions of people every day who have a drink or two with their meal at a restaurant. Every one of these people drive home somewhat impaired.

So tell me why it is legal to serve alcohol in a restaurant WHERE YOU KNOW EVERYONE HAS TO DRIVE AFTER????

Not everyone that is in a restaurant has to drive home drunk. Family of 4 out for a bite to eat, 1 driver. District manager at a table with a female employee who he is trying to get drunk, 1 person driving. Ever visit NYC? every single 20 feet is someone getting in a cab because most dont have cars.

rod

Retired 22 years
Thought I would throw another log on the fire. So for all you non drinkers who sleep 6 hours or less a night this one's for you.

Facts About Drowsy Driving
The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates that 100,000 of reported crashes occur as a result of drowsiness, and considers sleep deprived drivers a hazard equal in severity to drunk drivers. Studies show that staying awake for 18 hours and driving produces the same effect as being legally drunk behind the wheel. The greater the sleep deprivation, the closer the correlation to higher levels of intoxication.
Actual statistics on crashes, injuries and fatalities caused by drowsy driving are difficult to calculate as there is no way to test the fatigue level of drivers. The cost, damages, injuries, and fatalities resulting from sleep deprived drivers have been estimated at $12.5 billion.
Now your throwing stones at tired people- is there no end to this madness? On a serious note: In my little town there is a very active Church whos driveway is half way around the corner heading out of town. There are more accidents at that intersection than any other location in town. A State Trooper friend of mine says that the reason is that the church goers are "drunk on God" and aren't paying attention as they pull out on the highway. I think we should outlaw that church:wink2:

HazMatMan

Think of the millions of people every day who have a drink or two with their meal at a restaurant. Every one of these people drive home somewhat impaired.

So tell me why it is legal to serve alcohol in a restaurant WHERE YOU KNOW EVERYONE HAS TO DRIVE AFTER????

It's a huge double standard. It is illegal to drink and drive, BUT it is legal to drink in a restaurant where you HAVE to drive after! And don't give me the designated driver line. If you think that happens even 3% of the time, you're dreaming.

Funny you mention this, I actually heard on a radio commercial that if you had one drink, just one, before your meal then you would be perfectly fine and would not have to be worried if you got pulled over.. The real Hypocrisy is cigarette smoking, Don't let under age kids smoke, don't sell to anyone under 18, Ah, but the moment they turn 18 they can smoke, absolutely no problem... HELLOOOOOOO!!!..

HazMatMan

It's a huge double standard. It is illegal to drink and drive, BUT it is legal to drink in a restaurant where you HAVE to drive after! And don't give me the designated driver line. If you think that happens even 3% of the time, you're dreaming.

What's the difference between it being legal in a restaurant or a bar?? I would say statistics of getting into a car drunk were higher after drinking in a bar than a restaurant.. Again, I guess if your eating, it would dilute the alcohol...

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
First off, people eating out usually dont get drunk while eating out. They might have a drink or two with the meal. The meal itself will slow the absorbtion of the alcohol into the blood stream. And usually, at your fine eatery, drinks are very expensive.

Now, change that to a driver who gets off at 8PM. He stops by the store to get three beers on the way home, where his wife has the left overs from supper she fixed the kids. The said driver has had nothing to eat since 1.

Now, pull over someone that has had three beers and a meal at applebys, and the said driver who has to drive 45 minutes home. Wonder which would be legally drunk? Not to mention the open container law in most states. I would assume that also accounts for 90-95% of the trash that we have to pay to get picked up along the road.

In my short section of property along the road, I will pick up 100 beer cans and bottles for every soft drink can. And you can figure you will need to do it every three or for weeks. To me, that speaks volumes on how many people are out there drinking and driving.

As I said, if you drive out somewhere to get drunk, it can be assumed you will drive yourself back. If you know you are going to have to drive, then dont drink. If you do drink, then dont drive. Its that simple.

d

Tony31yrs

Here's a site where you can estimate your blood alcohol level-http://www.intox.com/wheel/drinkwheel.asp. You really have to try to get .08 There is a difference between drinking and driving and DUI.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
If the chart is pretty accurate, then the driver that is headed home and gets three to consume on the way home has a BAC of .76

I would hate to be involved in something on the highway and test that high.

d

DS

Fenderbender
A long time ago when I was young and invincible,ten years before I started at ups,I got charged twice for impaired.The 2nd one got me a month in the "Don Jail",a crowded god forsaken hell hole in downtown Toronto.I had to share a cell with a weird freak with a mohawk that talked all night about how to make acid.I slept on my back with my eyes open every night,I got "TOLD" to never whistle in jail as I was not supposed to be happy,thank god legal aid got me outa there after a week and into "mimico" to serve the rest on weekends and go back to work during the day.I have not drank and driven once since then.
I bet I'm not the only one here that had to learn the hard way.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
No you are not. Many years ago, I went to a birthday party. Since there was plenty of free booze, and I had someone to drive me home, I decided to get drunk.

First drink was a 16 OZ tumbler of 1/2 Jack and Coke. That tasted nasty, so the second 16oz was straight Jack. That was followed by two more. Dont remember much past that.

The next day we had invited some guests to the lake and of course out on the boat. I spent the whole day with my face right next to the Johnson 235. My eyes were blood red for three weeks.

Years after, I could watch JR on Dallas mixing himself a drink and I would smell it "through" the TV, and my stomach would start sending signals of "Oh no you dont"!!! Let me remind you of what I did the last time you thought about drinking!!!!

So I dont much care for anything that has alcohol in it anymore. I volunteer to be the desinated driver.

d

rod

Retired 22 years
If the chart is pretty accurate, then the driver that is headed home and gets three to consume on the way home has a BAC of .76

I would hate to be involved in something on the highway and test that high.

d
You will not be .76 after 3 drinks. At .76 you would be dead of alcohol poisoning. I believe anything .35 and above is deadly. The legal limit in the US now is .08. A lot of states had to lower their limits down from .10 or the gov. would take away their highway funding.

rod

Retired 22 years
Hank the Drunk Dwarf on the old Howard Stern show would test out at .40 and Howard was always amazed he was alive:happy2:

upsrwife

first of all, it's not against the law to drink and drive. It's against the law to drink TOO MUCH and drive. having a drink or two with a meal will certainly not take you over the limit unless you weigh 85 lbs. Dannyboy was competely correct in his post.

eating makes a huge difference. When you eat, the pyloric valve in your stomach closes and alcohol seaps into the intestine MUCH slower. if you have an empty stomach, it's almost instant.

yes, most people are usually dead at a .70...but there was a case up north this year where a woman tested at exactly that, and lived. I have encountered many persons above a .40 that were acting completely sober due to alchoholism. it's more common than you think.

The first thing alcholol effects is the ability to determine if you have had too much and if you think you are impaired.

in my state, and in alot of others, if you refuse the breath test, your DL is suspended for 12 mnths for the first refusal. IF you do get approved to get a Business purpose DL, the DL office will still put a 90 day hard suspention on your DL. which is probably why a previouse poster stated someone worked in the building for 90 days then went back to driving.

I just wanted to clear a few things up, since I know something about this subject. I have helped put over 4,000 drunk drivers in jail and been to hundreds of hours of schooling on the subject.

rod

Retired 22 years
I just wanted to clear a few things up, since I know something about this subject. I have helped put over 4,000 drunk drivers in jail and been to hundreds of hours of schooling on the subject.
I hope one of them wasn't your mother like that PassYouBy poster said he would do.:wink2:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
You will not be .76 after 3 drinks. At .76 you would be dead of alcohol poisoning. I believe anything .35 and above is deadly. The legal limit in the US now is .08. A lot of states had to lower their limits down from .10 or the gov. would take away their highway funding.

Rod makes a good point about alcohol levels. A lot of people leave out the zero after the decimal point (0.08) talking about toxicity levels. My wife used to work in an ER/Trauma Unit and would occasionally draw blood samples from drunk drivers. There is a point where you can drink too much and die. The serious alcoholics could look sober and be at a toxic level that would be fatal to the average person. Some people would be so drunk, the Lab Tech could actually smell the alcohol in the blood when it was being processed.

I don't get drunk and drive. Every great once in a while, one glass of wine or a beer with a meal in a restaurant. I don't hang out at bars or parties anymore since I started driving Package. I stay home if I feel the need to tie one on. It just isn't worth the risk to me.