FT driver layoff questions.

I am a FT driver
I have my own bid
I am a transfer from another hub out of state.
I have 12 years of company seniority
I have 10 years of this hub seniority
I have < 2 years FT driving seniority
I am on the on-call list even with my bid, my bid sucks so bad no one above me wants it, until they cut drivers back.
I have more total company seniority than several of the FT drivers however they bumped me today to avoid layoff.
I was told there was not any work for me today.
I was told I could not bump into pt time work until next week.

I am asking all of this to see if anyone has gone through this issue.

I will be talking to the steward tonight, however he most likely will be researching this just like I am. We have just 50 drivers in our building so this is the first time my specific case has come up.

Oh yes, I work under central states as well.

Thank you for your time in advance,

ncamara

Seniority for drivers is going to be based on your full-time driver date. Drivers with more seniority can bump you off, even if it's a bid route.

How many others were laid off? Did anyone work with less driver seniority than you?

I'm not sure about going back inside to get some hours. Did they tell you that you'd be laid off the rest of the week?

Seniority for drivers is going to be based on your full-time driver date.

Okay, this is what I was asking, I know its in the contract somewhere about layoffs, in fact using adobe acrobat to search the contract it found the word layoff 123 times. The drivers bumping me have more FT seniority but I have more total seniority.

Drivers with more seniority can bump you off, even if it's a bid route.

How many others were laid off? 2 Did anyone work with less driver seniority than you? No.

I'm not sure about going back inside to get some hours. Did they tell you that you'd be laid off the rest of the week?

They told me I had to be out of work for a full week, I told them I am on the on call list and I thought I could bump right back in. Needless to say there was a lot of mumbling and answers they were less than definitive.

705red

Browncafe Steward
They told me I had to be out of work for a full week, I told them I am on the on call list and I thought I could bump right back in. Needless to say there was a lot of mumbling and answers they were less than definitive.
Are they working any air drivers? The contract is clear that air drivers are to be used to deliver and pick up airs that due to commit time a regular package car driver can not make. Now if they are using air drivers you should file a grievance to get paid for all hours worked by the air driver.

Preamble
In order for the Employer, the Union and the employees to further benefit
from the expanding air operations, the following Sections shall supersede
language on the same subjects in the Supplements, Riders and Addenda,
unless specifically stated otherwise in this Article.

Section 1. Air Drivers
(a) Air driver work shall consist of delivery and pickup of air packages which,
because of time and customer commitments, cannot be reasonably performed
by regular package drivers. Such work may include:

(1) Delivery of air packages which the regular delivery drivers cannot deliver
within guaranteed time commitments.

They are not using air drivers except for Saturday air. Our center is quite a bit smaller than yours. like 97 percent smaller.

Thank you for the help.

What about bumping another FT employee who is not a driver? I asked this question awhile ago here and everyone agreed that it was company senority ruled. My example was I had more FT senority but less company senority then a couple 22.3 workers in my building but I was not able to bump them because it went by company senority?

Dark_Team_135

What about bumping another FT employee who is not a driver? I asked this question awhile ago here and everyone agreed that it was company senority ruled. My example was I had more FT senority but less company senority then a couple 22.3 workers in my building but I was not able to bump them because it went by company senority?

I am located in the Central Region and when there are layoffs we go by company seniority. If I have 20 years with the company, but only 5 as a full-time driver, a 10 year employee with 7 years of full-time driving will be laid off before me and will have to bump out 2 part-time employees (if the full-timer has more total company seniority) or draw unemployment.

Is it different elsewhere? I would assume that company seniority (total years with the company be it part-time or full-time) would always determine who would be laid off first.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am located in the Central Region and when there are layoffs we go by company seniority. If I have 20 years with the company, but only 5 as a full-time driver, a 10 year employee with 7 years of full-time driving will be laid off before me and will have to bump out 2 part-time employees (if the full-timer has more total company seniority) or draw unemployment.

Is it different elsewhere? I would assume that company seniority (total years with the company be it part-time or full-time) would always determine who would be laid off first.

If bids are done by seniority based upon the date we went FT driving then why would layoffs be based upon company seniority. I have more FT seniority than several other drivers but much less company seniority as I was an off-the-street hire. I would assume that FT driving seniority would be the standard used re: layoffs.

In the Central Region sup. it says

"Seniority shall be measured by length of continuous service
with the Employer and shall be on a center seniority basis for
layoff purposes,"

chopstic

I am a FT driver
I have my own bid
I am a transfer from another hub out of state.
I have 12 years of company seniority
I have 10 years of this hub seniority
I have < 2 years FT driving seniority

You almost have it correct there; i think this is how it should be labeled:

12 years = company seniority
10 years = hub (inside work) seniority
2 years = hub (driving) seniority

for inside work at your particular building you have 10 years of bargaining power, but for driving purposes you only have 2 years.

Hello,

Thank you everyone for the help. I think there is a consensus with respect to seniority. I really appreciate all of the help, also is there a online central region supplement that I can look at as a .pdf or the like?

Thanks again.

US0352

Feeder
Really? I thought if there was work inside I had to take it.
I apologize for not having the exact quote, but in our Central Ryder it states that "if employee takes layoff instead of bumping, it will show laid off due to lack of work for unemployment benefits" or something real close to that. There is a few of us feeders that have taken lay off instead of bumping and are collecting UE.

JonFrum

Braveheart

Not true. From day one you have the right to work 8 hours a day. Preload and Reload and or Carwash or twilight. Two shifts period.

You have the right to file a grievance and get paid for all the days they denied you inside work.

If you have the back bone to file they will put you to work right away and you will get paid for the time off unless they offered you work and you declined it.

If you do not file they will own you. They will know you do not have the stones to file.