FT driver, make the switch?

Bizzob232

2nd generation UPSer
Hi all, I've been with the company 8 years starting on preload, then driving for the last 6 FT. My center manager suggested to me I should apply for FT sup as there are alot of openings in our area due to quite a few retirements. I guess my question is, what are the pros and cons to going into supervision? I'm reading pay is pretty similar (was told I can't go backwards anyway) but I'm reading that there is no pension (I'm 26, apparently 33 is the magic age). Any and all comments are appreciated

BrownDooDoo

I don't even have a job with UPS yet, but everything I've read so far says supervision sucks. If you have any management that you've fallen out with, they may be trying to get you over to "the dark side" so they can fire you easier lol.

Idk if that's just paranoid crappy employee's speaking there though.

BTW, I'm 410 too. Going in for the tour tomorrow....hope I can get the job! Seems cool. Whereabouts in MD are ya if you don't mind me asking?

Bizzob232

2nd generation UPSer
I think getting fired is the least of my concerns, not totally convinced I would accept a position if it was offered, just looking for more info.

im a driver in the Easton center. If you can handle the abuse of working pt for poor pay for a few years you'll never regret it. If you are expecting to come in and jump right to big boy money, kiss that dream good bye now.

BrownDooDoo

I think getting fired is the least of my concerns, not totally convinced I would accept a position if it was offered, just looking for more info.

im a driver in the Easton center. If you can handle the abuse of working pt for poor pay for a few years you'll never regret it. If you are expecting to come in and jump right to big boy money, kiss that dream good bye now.

Well I'm a 19 year old college student from the Salisbury/OC area, so 8.50 start, quickly jumping to 9 or 10.50, set schedule part time, actually sounds pretty freakin' GREAT to me lol. Plus the benefits/401k and stock options. Plus I'm in good physical shape, but lacking in the cardio department, which this job should help take care of.

How long was your wait? I know it's different everywhere, but since we're kind of close it might be a good idea. I'm guessing 2 years judging from your post yeah? Not too bad. Well, I don't wanna derail your thread since I have no clue what I'm talking about. Hopefully someone else chimes in soon. I have an intro/newbie questions thread but I guess it needs to be approved before it will show up.

Bizzob232

2nd generation UPSer
If ups had 100,000 more people as excited as you to work there they would be stoked. And yeah 2 years but the wait is 5 or more for new employees right now

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
I would wait until after July 31st, just saying.

What he said.

It's not as terrible as everyone (who has never done it) claims it to be. It CAN be, but that is specific to your particular situation and varies greatly area to area. For the most part, it is what YOU make it.

All I ask of anyone who ever asks questions or shows interest in management is to have quality people skills. There is such a lack of focus on people's ability to work with people; it baffles my mind. Union folks work with packages. Management works with people. Why UPS tends to overlook the inter-personal relationship skills of it's new management candidates is beyond me, and feel like it's the problem with the general public perception of our management teams.

If it feels right for you, do it. Don't take these horror stories on here too seriously...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Pay cut
Inferior benefits
70+hours per week
No job security
No pension

Help me out here, I guess I'm just not seeing any upside to it....

S

serenity now

Pay cut
Inferior benefits
70+hours per week
No job security
No pension

that list reminds me of the potential side effects always read quietly and quickly at the end of a prescription drug commercial.....

my personal favorite: in some cases, death may occur

moreluck

golden ticket member
that list reminds me of the potential side effects always read quietly and quickly at the end of a prescription drug commercial.....

my personal favorite: in some cases, death may occur
"Spleen may explode and cause death..." That's on the warnings for the Neulasta shot that I get....it's in the #1 position on the list of side effects...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Bear in mind that the company is no longer picking up the tab for the mandatory castration and lobotomy. This is a significant out-of-pocket expense that you will need to plan for.

stink219

Are they still giving a bonus to center manager's for referring FT sups? Anyway, talk to other sups and the retired. There is a reason for exudes and openings. I say don't do it. But then again, I'm a union guy.

Bizzob232

2nd generation UPSer
Pay cut
Inferior benefits
70+hours per week
No job security
No pension

Im not quite sure where these facts are coming from but the pay is quite better, not a single one of my sups ever break 50 hours, let alone 70. Job security is what you make it, do well and the job is secure, just like any other job. The only factual part of your post is no pension.

Must be a regional difference.

ppHATE

Hi all, I've been with the company 8 years starting on preload, then driving for the last 6 FT. My center manager suggested to me I should apply for FT sup as there are alot of openings in our area due to quite a few retirements. I guess my question is, what are the pros and cons to going into supervision? I'm reading pay is pretty similar (was told I can't go backwards anyway) but I'm reading that there is no pension (I'm 26, apparently 33 is the magic age). Any and all comments are appreciated

​Don't do it... from a long time management person, you'll regret it within 30 days.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Pay cut
Inferior benefits
70+hours per week
No job security
No pension

Im not quite sure where these facts are coming from but the pay is quite better, not a single one of my sups ever break 50 hours, let alone 70. Job security is what you make it, do well and the job is secure, just like any other job. The only factual part of your post is no pension.

Why ask if u already know everything. Sober has been around much longer than us.

I'm pretty much just like u 8 years in 6 driving. I know all new FT sups work longer hours and make less than us drivers. Worse bennies no pension and not to mention they can ship you away to another center whenever they please.

Everyone here will tell u if ups is your career don't go into management.

Bluefox

Pay cut
Inferior benefits
70+hours per week
No job security
No pension

My mgtmt team kills themselves with hours... and don't forget the random relocation ... buddy of mine went in as a ft sup his commute went from 20 min to 1:30

Mapp

Choo Choo
Im not quite sure where these facts are coming from but the pay is quite better, not a single one of my sups ever break 50 hours, let alone 70. Job security is what you make it, do well and the job is secure, just like any other job. The only factual part of your post is no pension. Must be a regional difference.

Yeah, ok. peak and holidays? On a per hour basis you will make less

Last edited: