FT driver, make the switch?

BrownDooDoo

lol went on to get the job, and am still here. Still working like a mother every morning.

I wonder what that guy's problem was? I didn't even think I said anything that would point me out as lazy?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
If I had it to do again, I would have stayed a driver and went into feeders. Worked for the company for 10 years, management for 9. I moved up fast. Was a management fast track candidate and ultimately told them to remove me from the ready now list. The overall benefits to you and your personal life are stronger with an hourly position. The pay is better as well. You are well protected in mngmt and needn't worry about getting fired, just ridiculously stressful and you will take it home. Remember there no turning back from hourly to salary.

Welcome to Brown Cafe BrownBetty and sharing your life experience and "advice".
​Hopefully, we will hear more from you.

UPS1907

Think twice

There are no pros. LESS benefits, hours, retirement, raises. MORE stress, threats to your job, free time on weekends. It's a one way street I'd guess 75% of supervisors (not managers and above, since they treat supervisors like crap and cause this) would go back to driving. Ask around and see for yourself

UPS1907

I really have to laugh at all the "Expert Management Consultants" here.

I was a part timer and a driver ---also drove feeders for a short time. I spent many years in Management at many different levels in many different states and three different countries.

Going into management was a difficult decision but lead to a rewarding and interesting career with many friends --both managements and hourly all over the world.

A UPS job is not easy --it is a very demanding Company. Just as we demand Honesty , Integrity and a hard days work from all union employees --the EXACT same goes for all management.

Some people go into Management for the wrong reasons and fail --others become very successful.

I have to laugh when the same people one hand say that a mgmt job is terrible, cannot lead or make decisions etc etc.---on the other hand all succesful mgmt people are dishonest, dictators, do not know the job etc etc . ?????

If you do not understand ---I will make it simple: Negotiations
Some of the same "EXPERTS" claim Company does not get serious to final weeks ----next day say --Company wants early negotiations to finish quick so that they do not lose volume --?????

My Advice --On your career --Listen to yourself ,Family and Trusted friends.:peaceful:

No expert... Just live it (operations NOT staff) everyday and I'm glad UPS has been good to you, but you, my friend, are in the minority.

Re: Think twice

There are no pros. LESS benefits, hours, retirement, raises. MORE stress, threats to your job, free time on weekends. It's a one way street I'd guess 75% of supervisors (not managers and above, since they treat supervisors like crap and cause this) would go back to driving. Ask around and see for yourself

I'd go back in a heartbeat...not only that, I would give up a week or 2 of pay if I could go back driving. I couldn't care less if I even could go back to my old route, hell, I've essentially been a cut driver since I have been in management. Like Cher said..."If I could turn back time"...that's all I remember of the song. Well, say goodbye to that pipe dream!!

Re: Think twice

I'd go back in a heartbeat...not only that, I would give up a week or 2 of pay if I could go back driving. I couldn't care less if I even could go back to my old route, hell, I've essentially been a cut driver since I have been in management. Like Cher said..."If I could turn back time"...that's all I remember of the song. Well, say goodbye to that pipe dream!!
Come on to the dark side.Luke!!!!!....LOL

Buck Fifty

Hi all, I've been with the company 8 years starting on preload, then driving for the last 6 FT. My center manager suggested to me I should apply for FT sup as there are alot of openings in our area due to quite a few retirements. I guess my question is, what are the pros and cons to going into supervision? I'm reading pay is pretty similar (was told I can't go backwards anyway) but I'm reading that there is no pension (I'm 26, apparently 33 is the magic age). Any and all comments are appreciated

As I was reading this thread, I couldn't get the hit song from The Clash out of my head. Believe it was called -Should I stay or should I go. :rockon: