FT Driver Transfer In Florida

FtdriverWife

I have searched and read a ton of threads here but our situation is a bit unique.

My fiance is going to talk to HR on Monday, however I wanted to see about getting more information since HR isn't always helpful.

My fiance has been a FT driver for 14 years we are in South FL. My grandfather is sick and needs almost full time care. None of the family that is closer to him can care for him as much as he needs. I have no choice but to move to care for him. I would be about 100-125 miles or so away. (Not sure if that matters). We have 3 young kids that would go with me since I am the kids primary care giver while my fiance is at work.

Obviously he doesn't want to be away from his kids and I and I can't leave my grandfather without care. I understand loosing building seniority etc but is a transfer even possible? I have heard and read conflicting information. Quitting and re applying isn't going to fly.

Management would love to get rid of him (he's a by the book kind of guy) and if his manager or supervisor had a way to get rid of him, they would (isn't that all non management employees)

We read about hardship transfers but no clue what they consider a hardship or if that even applies to ft drivers.

Does anyone have suggestions, or advice etc?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
If you are a wife, is he your fiancé or husband? Or are you married to someone else and cheating with him?

I'm confused.

FtdriverWife

HAHA We say we are married but we aren't just yet. LOL

Sadly I wish I could move him closer but he won't leave the house he is in. He built it himself over 50 years ago and pays nothing but taxes each year. My grandmother passed away about a year ago so he won't budge.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
There are local services that help the elderly. Deliver meals. Nurseing. Contact the church. Senior center. Government etc

FtdriverWife

By the response I'll take it that it's pretty much impossible lol..

He can't be alone, he needs 100% full time care. But I see where this is going. Thank you guys though.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

By the response I'll take it that it's pretty much impossible lol..

He can't be alone, he needs 100% full time care. But I see where this is going. Thank you guys though.

Your fiance needs to have Grandpa give him limited power of attorney to manage his financial and legal matters.

The two of you need to somehow convince Grandpa to either move in with you or in to a place nearby. Uprooting your lives, while noble, is too much to ask.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I have searched and read a ton of threads here but our situation is a bit unique.

My fiance is going to talk to HR on Monday, however I wanted to see about getting more information since HR isn't always helpful.

My fiance has been a FT driver for 14 years we are in South FL. My grandfather is sick and needs almost full time care. None of the family that is closer to him can care for him as much as he needs. I have no choice but to move to care for him. I would be about 100-125 miles or so away. (Not sure if that matters). We have 3 young kids that would go with me since I am the kids primary care giver while my fiance is at work.

Obviously he doesn't want to be away from his kids and I and I can't leave my grandfather without care. I understand loosing building seniority etc but is a transfer even possible? I have heard and read conflicting information. Quitting and re applying isn't going to fly.

Management would love to get rid of him (he's a by the book kind of guy) and if his manager or supervisor had a way to get rid of him, they would (isn't that all non management employees)

We read about hardship transfers but no clue what they consider a hardship or if that even applies to ft drivers.

So now you need a "favor" from your husbands company, but since your husband is a by the book guy and we hate him (cause he is non management employee), you think we will hold it against him. Oh I am sure the center team will forward the request for you, but do you expect them to go out their way to help if he has been a thorn in their side? I would bet its not because your husband works by the book, maybe your husband is not the caliber employee he portrays to you. If you, as the wife, hates UPS then why do you let your husband work there? It's a tough job on both sides and everyone has to work together to get it done.

So to answer your question, labor, HR and the 2 locals involved would have to agree on a hardship request.

10 point

So to answer your question, labor, HR and the 2 locals involved would have to agree on a hardship request.

This was enough.

Dragon, don't you think the rest is speculative conjecture and shows that there's an underlying lack of respect and a degree of animosity between hourly and management regardless of what the facts truly are?

It seems to me that it's actually about grandpa, not a personal favor for an employee's personal gain and comfort.

Overpaid Union Thug

Sorry but unless he works in a select few areas of the country that allows transfers he wontt be able to move without quitting and starting over somewhere else. UPS is one of the worst companies to work for in that regard.

Overpaid Union Thug

So now you need a "favor" from your husbands company, but since your husband is a by the book guy and we hate him (cause he is non management employee), you think we will hold it against him. Oh I am sure the center team will forward the request for you, but do you expect them to go out their way to help if he has been a thorn in their side? I would bet its not because your husband works by the book, maybe your husband is not the caliber employee he portrays to you. If you, as the wife, hates UPS then why do you let your husband work there? It's a tough job on both sides and everyone has to work together to get it done.

And yet another post that proves just how evil corporat UPS can be.

10 point

The company makes things like this difficult not because they have to but because they can.

You can bet if your husband was in management the company would streamline this process and greatly shorten the time.
I've actually seen it go both ways and have had a few managers go out of their way to help people who were problem children.

The better manager will help because it's the right thing to do and that extra effort seems to diffuse past animosity between the hourly and management involved regardless who was right or wrong in the past.

Affording people the opportunity to take care of sick relatives by going the extra mile (as much as possible in this corporate climate) is not quickly forgotten.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sorry but unless he works in a select few areas of the country that allows transfers he won't be able to move without quitting and starting over somewhere else. UPS is one of the worst companies to work for in that regard.

As Dragon said, the company does allow hardship transfers; however, they can be extremely difficult to get approved.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I had a hardship transfer but it took 3 years. it is very difficult to get one . a couple years may be too late for you.

does your grandfather own his home or have any other assets? maybe he can get a reverse mortgage and use the money for in home care or a nursing facility. maybe he can move in with you. however , taking care of someone 24/7 is a very daunting task. it takes a special person. i tried doing it for 5 months when my spouse had a stroke. incredibly difficult is an understatement.

does your town have a senior services office? they can be helpful with advice, options, and resources.

good luck.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I used to kid menotyou as she also had the bad habit of making up stories based on the posts from others, as if she was trying to one up them.

"Anything you can do I can do better. I can do anything better than you."

I used to kid menotyou as she also had the bad habit of making up stories based on the posts from others, as if she was trying to one up them.

"Anything you can do I can do better. I can do anything better than you."
I've been offered 6 transfers since 2012.