FT Package finally!!!!

Kylew

I have been with the company for 11 years now and finally going to be driving the brown truck!I know before all of you say your going to hate it.I know it's going to be super hard long hours...etc if you have been there this long you know what your getting yourself into with alot still to learn.I am looking for any suggestions,help,advice going in?Nervous and excited all the same it's a life change no doubt but ready to go.I appreciate all the info from my ups and teamster family.Thanks and hope you had a great holiday.

Congratulations Kylew and welcome to the Brown cafe. Work by the methods and you'll be fine. Always think safety first because if you hurt yourself the right way in this job it could be forever.

Kylew

Thank you 407!!Even though it's been two months since my driver training class I still have stayed on top of the safty stuff,5 seeing habits...etc

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Try to spend the least amount of time in the back of the truck as possible.
Every time you do go in the back to get a pkg, try to move a few in a section forward. Take your lunch and breaks, you need them.
Throw dr notices on the pkg on the way to the door, if u dont need it, leave it with pkg. No fumbling at door.

UPSGUY72

Good luck.

You do understand that you are most likely going to be laid off right after the first of the year due drop in volume you will be allowed to go work back inside however depending on where you are located you might only be guaranteed one 4 hour shift because you haven't made progression yet. They will call you back when volume picks up or summer vacations start going full.

I would make sure you read your local rider so you know what rights you have. You won't gain senority unless you work after DEC 31. If they lay you off before that they don't have to call you back to be a driver. If they do call you back before Mar 1 then you gain senority back to the day your first started to drive. If they call you back after Mar 1 you have to do your 30 days over again.

Make sure you arrive atleast 20 min early each day so your not rushing around. Everyone will tell you to take your lunch and breaks however you need to make your numbers or you will not make your 30 days. If you have a question about the route your doing ask some other drivers that have done it they can give you advise that will save you alot of time.

Use your map just don't go be the EDD it might be all messed up and you don't want to keep driving down the same street 5 or 6 times a day having to go back and get a stop that was out of order.

Kylew

I agree with the not working a five day week but all of our centers are super short and my hope is when they hire some new guys at the first of the year which is unheard of but our centers have been having air drivers deliver ground routes for months!!!Needless to say I know our contract well and no way after 11 years would I do there seasonal BS on me hopefully my center manager is honest since we have been in contact for the last few weeks with saying he is dying and needs so much help!!!That's why he is starting me this late guess we will see.

nocturnalbuck

1. one stop at a time. don't be overwhelmed at the start of the day, the to do list gets shorter throughout the day and it gets easier to find pkgs as the day goes on.

2. businesses get easier everyday. once you stop the first time you will always know where to go the next time and what door to pull up to.

3. get an idea of the general trace for the day before you start everyday.

4. keep the wheels moving. don't sit after every stop thinking or looking at a map

5. go at a steady quick pace . not a frantic chicken without a head pace.
these helped me ,just to name a few....

UPSGUY72

I wish you the best of luck your going to need all you can get.

However just to let you know this isn't the best time to start as CD. Your SUP has set you up for failure and no matter what he told you about protecting you his boss is getting daily instruction from higher up on stop counts and helper times evverything is being watch control at a higher level than in the past years. If you keep your helper to longer or go over 10 hr your building manger is going to get a phone call asking why.

You need to understand that on a route that normally has 130-140 stops n a given day you are going have over 200 stops somedays maybe even close to 250 and even with a helper you need to be moving at a pretty good pace.

22.34life

I wish you the best of luck your going to need all you can get.

However just to let you know this isn't the best time to start as CD. Your SUP has set you up for failure and no matter what he told you about protecting you his boss is getting daily instruction from higher up on stop counts and helper times evverything is being watch control at a higher level than in the past years. If you keep your helper to longer or go over 10 hr your building manger is going to get a phone call asking why.

You need to understand that on a route that normally has 130-140 stops n a given day you are going have over 200 stops somedays maybe even close to 250 and even with a helper you need to be moving at a pretty good pace.
the op never said if he was a friend/t driver or cover driver.

Scoot

I have been with the company for 11 years now and finally going to be driving the brown truck!I know before all of you say your going to hate it.I know it's going to be super hard long hours...etc if you have been there this long you know what your getting yourself into with alot still to learn.I am looking for any suggestions,help,advice going in?Nervous and excited all the same it's a life change no doubt but ready to go.I appreciate all the info from my ups and teamster family.Thanks and hope you had a great holiday.
Always remember that it's just a job. It's nothing personal. Good luck.

helenofcalifornia

The UPSguy speaks the truth about how your day is going to be and what will be expected of you. I don't know many people that took their full lunches and breaks when trying to get their seniority in as a driver. But then most drivers then did nor have a diad board that would lock you out for a full hour lunch either.

And Tooner, never thought of slapping a delivery notice on a package as I hit the sidewalk up to the house. Genius!

Good luck in your new adventure. If you survive Christmas, you are ready for the rest UPS has to hurl at you. Hope you get picked up after the holidays. Those FT checks are nice. And I hope that you are starting out at top wage and don't have to wait the three years for your hourly rate to top out.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Find out what area you'll be delivering and get lost in there a few times. That's my first tip.

Secondly, I Disagree about "keeping the wheels moving" just for the sake of it!

Unless you already know the area you're delivering EXTREMELY WELL, in that case you shouldn't "spin" if you don't have to.

Look at the map, take a few minutes. Even if it's after every stop. Especially housecalls , you need to make a plan and stick to it. Figure out your next 5-10 stops on the map. After your first stop, take another look at the map for a refresher on your internal compass if you need to. Eventually, it'll all come together and you'll only be glancing at the map for a plan, instead of stop-for-stop.

That 2-3 minutes of planning initially, will save you 20 minutes driving, backing, turning around missing your stops. Don't just drive aimlessly, make a plan and stick to it and try not to drive by stops, or take wrong turns.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Tooner, your idea of slapping a delivery notice on the pkg as you are walking to the door is a good one only if you plan to DR the pkg in an alternate location.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Tooner, your idea of slapping a delivery notice on the pkg as you are walking to the door is a good one only if you plan to DR the pkg in an alternate location.
Or if they are not home, or if it needs to be an adult, and only a kid comes to a door. I learned it from a guy I helped out one peak. He gave me a split, and anything that needed a sig had a dr notice on it by the addy. If they were not there I didnt have to juggle pkgs to get out a note, it was there on a flat surface, and scan it and slap on door. Saved me time, so I do it. But I still run late, so..............

UPSGUY72

Or if they are not home, or if it needs to be an adult, and only a kid comes to a door. I learned it from a guy I helped out one peak. He gave me a split, and anything that needed a sig had a dr notice on it by the addy. If they were not there I didnt have to juggle pkgs to get out a note, it was there on a flat surface, and scan it and slap on door. Saved me time, so I do it. But I still run late, so..............

So let see do you fill out the dr notice or leave it blank ? Does the helper scan it or you? If the peson isn't there does the helper fill out the dr notice? I supose if your helper knows how to use the diad more than just scanning a package it might work. Than again he is going have to know how to fill out the dr notice correctly also. Unless you are leaving blank dr notices like FED EX.

If a residential delivery needs a signature I just do it myself it's easier.

Kylew

I will be FT cover driver just to clarify with the hopes our centers are so short I will get to bid sooner than later on a route.I agree this time of year sucks to be doing anything let alone a new driver with the attitude if I make threw peak the rest will be cake...lol.I am in Indianapolis 81st hub.I appreciate the overhelming amount of help thank you all for your help!!!Tips for it getting dark so early????Flashlights...etc???