FT sup retaliates against gf of person who wrote grievance.

UPSSOCKS

If a supervisor is doing hourly work that means they are not doing their job which is to supervise. On that sort they have a person in a position to do recycles, thats crazy, it seems that the hourly people are not doing their jobs, if they were there would be no need for a person to recycle the try agains( try again to get it right), Sounds like the supervisors and manager on that sort would do better with there time to hold the hourly people accountable.

oooo I like this response in a way..... But I have always felt that recycles are not union work. I actually exercised this in three buildings. I had a greivance on it once and I told the steward fine, I'll pay the greivance, but every employee that causes a recycle will be disciplined for each one. I know of atleast two buildings where all quality control work is done by management. Greivance Free!!!! Any young memebr of management, remember this. If you are doing work that is created by a union employee not doing their job correctly, tell the steward, "either I do the work, or johnny union gets suspended." Think about how many times one sorter recycles in a day. You could hand out suspensions like we hand out turkeys on Thanksgiving... Oh wait, like we used to hand out turkeys on thanksgiving.

Nimnim

The Nim
I'd agree 100% about recycles not being required/union work, if the company required 100% competency of the sort to get sort certified. I believe it's 97% to pass the test, might be lower, but I know it's not 100%.

So say your sort has 100k, in my hub that's about average for my sort atm, for their volume, 3% of that is 3000, that's the equivalent of 2 full feeders. Or 3 feeders with larger packages. Looking at it this way I fully see the need for a few people dedicated to clean up the recycles throughout the night. Of course this doesn't include the errors caused my incorrect zips or other such label mishaps that a pickoff is more likely to catch than a sorter. One of the recycle people also collects the totes that come down from small sort also adding to what they do.

As for an update on the situation, things have cooled down, and I'll be discussing things with the FT sup myself to make sure there's no misunderstandings. He's taking tomorrow off because of the new Halo game so I should have another update Friday morning.

Nimnim

The Nim
You may want to make sure they are legal to use in your state, especially if you plan to conceal it.

Or that you're even allowed to bring it into work. Contraband is heavy controlled at my hub. Though I suppose getting written up for having it is a small price to pay if it pays off when recording something to save your ass otherwise.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Or that you're even allowed to bring it into work. Contraband is heavy controlled at my hub. Though I suppose getting written up for having it is a small price to pay if it pays off when recording something to save your ass otherwise.

If they are illegal in your state any evidence obtained would be inadmissable.

unionslug

or simply dont worry about it. Keep filing those grievances. Supervisors who do our work give us easy income. Retaliate? They cant fire everyone. Stick together and win

Catatonic

Nine Lives
oooo I like this response in a way..... But I have always felt that recycles are not union work. I actually exercised this in three buildings. I had a greivance on it once and I told the steward fine, I'll pay the greivance, but every employee that causes a recycle will be disciplined for each one. I know of atleast two buildings where all quality control work is done by management. Greivance Free!!!!.

at least it is obvious when SOCKS is making things up.

brownIEman

If a supervisor is doing hourly work that means they are not doing their job which is to supervise. On that sort they have a person in a position to do recycles, thats crazy, it seems that the hourly people are not doing their jobs, if they were there would be no need for a person to recycle the try agains( try again to get it right), Sounds like the supervisors and manager on that sort would do better with there time to hold the hourly people accountable.

Now we have someone starting to get closer to a root cause.

Everyone posting about how simple the principle that supervisors should not be working is, have you stoped for just a second to think about WHY the supervisors are working? I know, the principle is very simple, and they should NOT be working. But please, take that extra step and ask why they are. Yes, yes, you don't care why, I get that. You should, if only for the cause and effect that is revealed when you follow that line of questioning.

So, I will tell you why the management at that facility are working. Because they are weak managers and leaders, and they need to get better at their jobs. A managment team doing hourly work in almost every case in my experience is due at its root to that management team taking the easy way out, the path of least resistance. It is much easier to move boxes oneself than to confront hourlies who are violating the contract by not giving a fair days work and get them to step up their efforts and change their behavior. It is one hell of a lot easier than documenting and proving that an hourly is not giving a fair days work, as that is a very loosely defined concept.

So in many places, the sups work. But then the grievances get filed, and reports on grievances and their costs percolate to upper management, and they role the intense conversations and job threats down hill that the management team had better stop performing the work and get their people to do it, which is what they should have done in the first place.

So now the management team stops moving packages, and starts looking to the hourlies who are doing the least to help their operation succeed and start to focus on them to get them moving faster and or more efficiently. Often times, in my experience some of these folks are the same who file grievances, and they naturally feel they are being retaliated against.

Nim, I do not know how much of this is really going on in your situation. If what you have posted is true, you sound like an employee who takes pride in his work and gives a fair days work for the money you are paid. My guess would be that there are many in you operation who do not fit that discription. My advice to you would be to file grievances when you see management working. Have a conversation with the sup explain to him that it is not a personal thing, and he should not be taking it that way.

Be prepared for the likely reaction, that is, hourlies who are not pulling their weight will be getting more attention. It sounds like your girlfriend has a relatively cushy job, likely those will be given a lot of attention and removed or reduced if possible. As 2 unit said, if everyone was doing what they are supposed to be doing she really would not have a job to do at all.

deleted9

I'd agree 100% about recycles not being required/union work, if the company required 100% competency of the sort to get sort certified. I believe it's 97% to pass the test, might be lower, but I know it's not 100%.

So say your sort has 100k, in my hub that's about average for my sort atm, for their volume, 3% of that is 3000, that's the equivalent of 2 full feeders. Or 3 feeders with larger packages. Looking at it this way I fully see the need for a few people dedicated to clean up the recycles throughout the night. Of course this doesn't include the errors caused my incorrect zips or other such label mishaps that a pickoff is more likely to catch than a sorter. One of the recycle people also collects the totes that come down from small sort also adding to what they do.

As for an update on the situation, things have cooled down, and I'll be discussing things with the FT sup myself to make sure there's no misunderstandings. He's taking tomorrow off because of the new Halo game so I should have another update Friday morning.

If the management team audits the recycles, they will probably find the old 80/20 concept that 20% of the people are causing 80% of the recycles, look at it that way and the problem people will be identified and hopefully corrected.

deleted9

Cannot be used by either side.......

unionslug

Now we have someone starting to get closer to a root cause.

So, I will tell you why the management at that facility are working. Because they are weak managers and leaders, and they need to get better at their jobs. A managment team doing hourly work in almost every case in my experience is due at its root to that management team taking the easy way out, the path of least resistance. It is much easier to move boxes oneself than to confront hourlies who are violating the contract by not giving a fair days work and get them to step up their efforts and change their behavior. It is one hell of a lot easier than documenting and proving that an hourly is not giving a fair days work, as that is a very loosely defined concept.

So now the management team stops moving packages, and starts looking to the hourlies who are doing the least to help their operation succeed and start to focus on them to get them moving faster and or more efficiently. Often times, in my experience some of these folks are the same who file grievances, and they naturally feel they are being retaliated against.

Be prepared for the likely reaction, that is, hourlies who are not pulling their weight will be getting more attention.

Well well. A likely response from a character with IE in the name. There is a reason the contract is the way it is "fair days work for fair days pay". People work at different speeds and someone is going to be at the bottom. I like the way you refer to it as the employee being the one to violate the contract. Ive been around this "game" for a long time and there are very very few at UPS who dont give a fair days work. The ones that are truly stealing time are shown the door and sticks at panel. Sorry if its not fast enough for you or your computer generated concept of how fast the robots should perform. Keep your hands off the boxes and hire a few more people. Or keep working and keep lining my pocket

bham brown

Thats a NO NO, it is an unwritten rule on both sides....... couldn"t use it anyway.

Unwritten? That means nothing... It can be used in my state, all day, every day...If I have to use something recorded it won't be between the union and UPS.. It will be my lawyer and UPS.. It has been used many times around my parts and is still being used today.

Nimnim

The Nim
Ok, everything is all done.

I had a nice long conversation with the FT sup, we're both cool with each other. We agree we should have talked much sooner than this, he admits he over-reacted and did take it out on my gf some. He was surprised he was grieved, and that it came from me. My reasons are understood, and we both understand that I can grieve if I desire and knows I could have been a complete ass about it. We both agree that if my gf isn't doing her job properly he has full right to use the disciplinary options he has to correct it.

So all in all, score one for being civil and talking, score none to the union and going to upper levels of management.

Now you can all go ahead and further derail this thread with whatever junk you want.

brownIEman

Ok, everything is all done.

I had a nice long conversation with the FT sup, we're both cool with each other. We agree we should have talked much sooner than this, he admits he over-reacted and did take it out on my gf some. He was surprised he was grieved, and that it came from me. My reasons are understood, and we both understand that I can grieve if I desire and knows I could have been a complete ass about it. We both agree that if my gf isn't doing her job properly he has full right to use the disciplinary options he has to correct it.

So all in all, score one for being civil and talking, score none to the union and going to upper levels of management.

Now you can all go ahead and further derail this thread with whatever junk you want.

I am glad it worked out for you. In the end, that is the way life works, it comes down to building interpersonal relationships and getting on with life, and the union and upper mngmnt can go hang.

Good luck to you.