FT Supervisors 12+ hr Days

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
UPS would be a better place to work if center-level management had their own white-collar union. Most center-level sups are decent intelligent people who are forced into unworkable and impossible situations by those above them. If they had some sort of labor agreement spelling out wages and hours, they could do their jobs free of fear and intimidation and this would trickle down in their treatment of hourly employees.

UPS Lifer

UPS would be a better place to work if center-level management had their own white-collar union. Most center-level sups are decent intelligent people who are forced into unworkable and impossible situations by those above them. If they had some sort of labor agreement spelling out wages and hours, they could do their jobs free of fear and intimidation and this would trickle down in their treatment of hourly employees.

In all the time that I was with UPS, I had similar feelings as you have. I might be blind on this issue but I just don't see a downside to having an organization that represents management in regards to working conditions.

Maybe this is something that should be explored further!!!!

Any other thoughts on the topic of a management "union" we could call it a "UPS Management League"!

HazMatMan

I feel no sympathy for any union jerk who complains. Boo hoo, my supervisor is treating me mean, let me go run to my BA. Let me pay union dues so that he can buy steak dinners and lap dances. I can't add two plus two but please pay me outragous wages and benefits or else I'll strike! Boo hoo!
Um, excuse me, but this thread was started by a management person who was moaning about 12 plus hour days. Pay attention next time!! Your the reason this company is going down hill, with stupid comments like that.. Let the games begin. Why don't you register you loser!!!!

12 Hoggin

HazMatMan, I seriously just wanted to reach out to my other partners out there and see if anyone was in the same boat. I know that I choose my path, and UPS has provided and allowed to have and do, and I am very grateful for everything!!!...There really is not point in getting into a bickering match about you "think I am moaning," It was merely AGAIN to see what other partners I have out there with similar hours, thank you for your well-crafted, yet typical UNION concern...Read some of UPS Lifers Blog's, because this guy has his stuff together, it might change your outlook on things...well you, probably not...And your comment about about "you loser" WOW!!! Way to fly those UNION colors...and you not Manager4Life are tarnishing the image of this company...thanks for your concern

UPS Lifer

Thanks for the advice...I think in general, all of your suggestions would work, but our district is a bit of an anomaly. Our controller is a complete megalomaniac, and he's been here almost six years already. ... The controller doesn't want to move, so he doesn't have to. He also caused BIG problems with management turnover in his last assignment, and our district tolerates him for the most part.
Everyone is afraid of him because he is a huge bully, but I'll take your advice to heart and see if I can be the first to stand up to him. I enjoy a challenge... :happy2:

If he has been there 6 years chances are he will not be there much longer. It sounds like you will be lucky to get rid of him and it may be sooner than you think. Try to go around the Controller by going through HR or just your Division Manager. You never know .... a well timed word such as California without any threat might be enough to get the right person thinking. Do a little research on the settlement so that you have some basic talking points down IF needed. Don't use anything you don't have to use.

Some times it is not how much you know but how much they THINK you know!!!!

M

Manager4Life

Um, excuse me, but this thread was started by a management person who was moaning about 12 plus hour days. Pay attention next time!! Your the reason this company is going down hill, with stupid comments like that.. Let the games begin. Why don't you register you loser!!!!

Um, excuse ME, but I was responding to Dragqueen69 or whoever who was moaning about management selling their souls. I was responding about my own lack of patience for union losers who whine about management all the time. Uh-oh! My supervisor looked at a package! I better grieve it! Oh no! I want the contract to apply to me only sometimes, when it works in my favor! I want paid for that minute more of work that someone with less seniority got! I want first pick of vacations! I want paid for my grievance on a sup who picked up a falled package that my awesome union brother threw on the floor! Oh, but wait: I want you to look the other way if I am constantly late or if I get into a collision! Oh, the Union is so awesome, look at how UPS THE COMPANY had to bail out the Central States Funds because the UNION BROKE THE OTHER CONTRIBUTING COMPANIES. Boohoo! I hate management because they got an education and made their own way instead of being a parasite union puke!

M

Manager4Life

...and you not Manager4Life are tarnishing the image of this company...thanks for your concern

Even though your sentence is awkwardly worded, I think you misunderstand me. I wasn't concerned about you at all. I could care less if you don't have the stones to manage your own work-life balance. Supervisors today are just like union pukes - they want something for nothing. If you don't want to work the hours, don't expect the stock compensation. I just took exception to the union morons who said management sells their souls and are losers. I sold my soul to the DEVIL, not UPS, and I'm not a loser, sorry. I have a gorgeous, much-younger wife that I may still trade in for the newer model. I've got more money than you, and I earned it (Hoffa didn't give it to me because the man was keeping my lazy blue collar self down).

HazMatMan

Um, excuse ME, but I was responding to Dragqueen69 or whoever who was moaning about management selling their souls. I was responding about my own lack of patience for union losers who whine about management all the time. Uh-oh! My supervisor looked at a package! I better grieve it! Oh no! I want the contract to apply to me only sometimes, when it works in my favor! I want paid for that minute more of work that someone with less seniority got! I want first pick of vacations! I want paid for my grievance on a sup who picked up a falled package that my awesome union brother threw on the floor! Oh, but wait: I want you to look the other way if I am constantly late or if I get into a collision! Oh, the Union is so awesome, look at how UPS THE COMPANY had to bail out the Central States Funds because the UNION BROKE THE OTHER CONTRIBUTING COMPANIES. Boohoo! I hate management because they got an education and made their own way instead of being a parasite union puke!
Like I said before, it's people like you running UPS into the ground. You are actually mad at yourself for ever going into management and wished you would have stayed in the union.. Once again you are a LOSER!!!!!

HazMatMan

HazMatMan, I seriously just wanted to reach out to my other partners out there and see if anyone was in the same boat. I know that I choose my path, and UPS has provided and allowed to have and do, and I am very grateful for everything!!!...There really is not point in getting into a bickering match about you "think I am moaning," It was merely AGAIN to see what other partners I have out there with similar hours, thank you for your well-crafted, yet typical UNION concern...Read some of UPS Lifers Blog's, because this guy has his stuff together, it might change your outlook on things...well you, probably not...And your comment about about "you loser" WOW!!! Way to fly those UNION colors...and you not Manager4Life are tarnishing the image of this company...thanks for your concern
Never called YOU a loser, was directing that comment to your management partner who is too scared to register on this site. See, that's typical management for you, you guys never pay attention..
As for me running this company into the ground, that's just simply not true, I am just sitting back watching know it all management do that. Although I am flattered that you would think a little old union worker such as myself could possibly tarnish UPS.

Last edited:

dragracer66

Even though your sentence is awkwardly worded, I think you misunderstand me. I wasn't concerned about you at all. I could care less if you don't have the stones to manage your own work-life balance. Supervisors today are just like union pukes - they want something for nothing. If you don't want to work the hours, don't expect the stock compensation. I just took exception to the union morons who said management sells their souls and are losers. I sold my soul to the DEVIL, not UPS, and I'm not a loser, sorry. I have a gorgeous, much-younger wife that I may still trade in for the newer model. I've got more money than you, and I earned it (Hoffa didn't give it to me because the man was keeping my lazy blue collar self down).
You are are loser because you talk all this stuff and your not even registered. Me being a steward I would have a field day with you!!! I would just file grievences just for the dumbest stuff and in time you be outa there!!! I seen it happen before. Don't say it doesn't happen it does and you know it!!! And all those thing's you say about hourlies running to the steward for everything thats the best part, for us hourlies it's almost impossible to get fired but if you as a management person they could blow you out for any reason and you don't have a shot of getting your job back. I also think your pissed of because MOST union guy's make more than you, have better benefits because we don't have to pay for them like you do. Your JEALOUS get over it. And about your much younger wife, how many marriges is that for you I never seen a management person not have 2-3 wives and if she's smart(which she probably isn't because she married your dumb :censored2:) she would stay with you just long enough to get what's left of your stock and dump your sorry butt!!! GET A LIFE LOSER!!!!!!

Average at Best

Wow...when you trade in your current wife, can I be the next one? Because you sound like a real winner...

Seriously, you are the reason that the union doesn't respect us management folk...you are arrogant, and you enjoy being divisive when we all - management AND union - work for the same company! If UPS goes out of business, we all suffer, so it is in all of our best interest to work together and make UPS better than it is! But morons like you start spouting off with this class-warfare crap ("lazy blue collar"?!?) and then the unionites start thinking that all management think like this.

To all you union folks out there: don't confuse me this with joker. Yes, I am a management person, but I respect the Teamsters. I understand why the Union is necessary. Don't go in to work tonight hating on ALL us white collar folks just because some are complete idiots...

UPS Lifer

Wow...when you trade in your current wife, can I be the next one? Because you sound like a real winner...

Seriously, you are the reason that the union doesn't respect us management folk...you are arrogant, and you enjoy being divisive when we all - management AND union - work for the same company! If UPS goes out of business, we all suffer, so it is in all of our best interest to work together and make UPS better than it is! But morons like you start spouting off with this class-warfare crap ("lazy blue collar"?!?) and then the unionites start thinking that all management think like this.

To all you union folks out there: don't confuse me this with joker. Yes, I am a management person, but I respect the Teamsters. I understand why the Union is necessary. Don't go in to work tonight hating on ALL us white collar folks just because some are complete idiots...

It needed to be said! Thanks for saying it! Apparently this person forgot where he/she started. This is the kind of stuff that embarrasses me.

Mgr4life your non-management folks will make or break you. By the sound of your posts you are headed down the wrong path. If you can't respect your people, they won't respect you - Get it together before it is to late!

dragracer66

You sound like the kind of management we "Union guy's" will bend over backwards for. And for what's it's worth most of us don't think all sups are like this... Thank's for putting in your opinion!!!!:happy2::happy2:

BURMDPsupe

Wow; the tone has really changed on this topic.

IMHO, 2 people are responsible for the hours that a supervisor works: the supervisor and the manager.

The supervisor: post promotion, a supervisor should "prove him/herself" by learning all of the new duties/responsibilities of their area, and this will take some time (some longer than others). After the supervisor has acquired the necessary skills that will allow him/her to be successful in their operation, they should look to refine their daily schedule (this could mean delegating some duties to a part-time supervisor, etc). Bottom line, work SMART not hard!

The manager: accepting a new supervisor into an operation can be a challenge. Most new supervisors are eager to learn and do seek acceptance. With that in mind, a manager should use the military approach: break them down and build them up! The success/failure of a supervisor is a direct reflection of the manager's character. Bottom line, TEACH!

Stepping down from the soapbox.

M-

atatbl

Wow, this thread has brought the best out in everyone.

LOL @ the guy that brings his wife into it.... priceless.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
I am FT Preload Supervisor and work uh....approxiamately 12-14 hrs everyday, ...any other FT Supervisors able to utilize the ever famous line "Work-Life Balance" Because they ride this pony for what its worth everyday, because they know I am good at what I do and do it right, so I get MOUNDS of paperwork and other BS piled on my daily...Any of my other FT Preload Supervisor's going through this????

I too question how much work that you have to do. I think that it is more responsibility.

Yes there are tons of supes that work that many hours a day, they are the :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:ty ones that don't have a pair and end up working their lives away.