Ft working Saturdays

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I could make some money if that is true.
I will tell you exactly what our issue was.

We had drivers laid off who were double shifting for hours inside. Management offered them Tuesday through Saturday work so they could get paid a higher wage on Saturday and make a little more money.

A steward saw huge dollar signs and filed that he hadn't been offered the extra Saturday work. He got a big pay day and the laid off drivers double shifted M-friend from then on.

35years

Gravy route
I was beginning to start calling out the Central in this. I can't imagine a BA that wouldn't know this is a basic seniority issue.
I assure you that this has been the practice in all the local bldgs since Saturday delivery started. (I started before the advent of Saturday air)

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Art 58 C Southern Supplment

(C) Guarantee: There will be a weekly guarantee in each Center as follows: In each classification in each Center the most senior ninety percent (90%) of employees called or put to work on the first full work day shall be afforded the opportunity of working forty (40) hours of straight time work during the week.

The guarantee shall not apply:
1. To an employee who fails to work a scheduled work day during the work week, or is suspended or discharged for just cause.

2. When there are conditions beyond the Employer's control such as fire, flood, destruction, strikes, snow storm or Acts of God and these conditions cause a curtailment of all or part of an Employer's operation.

3. To the weeks of Christmas and New Years.

In the event an employee has a bona fide medical or dental appointment, the employee will, where possible, be allowed to work hours only to avoid losing an entire day's pay. The employee must furnish proof of said appointment.

Any Full-time employee may be required to report to work before his/her regular starting time and in such event, he/she shall be paid at the rate of one and one-half (1-1/2) times his/her straight time hourly rate for all hours worked before his/her regular starting time in addition to the employee's regular guarantee.

Brownslave688

Why would forcing from the bottom up or asking from the top down be different?
Either the 4 shift guys are forced/asked separate from the 5 shifters, or not.
You have to offer the work from the top down. If all of those people pass up
The work then you force the people at the bottom of the seniority list to work.

35years

Gravy route
You have to offer the work from the top down. If all of those people pass up
The work then you force the people at the bottom of the seniority list to work.
Ok
I thought you were saying that they can consider the number of days worked for forcing from the bottom up but not asking from the top down. I misunderstood you.

35years

Gravy route
Art 58 C Southern Supplment

(C) Guarantee: There will be a weekly guarantee in each Center as follows: In each classification in each Center the most senior ninety percent (90%) of employees called or put to work on the first full work day shall be afforded the opportunity of working forty (40) hours of straight time work during the week.

The guarantee shall not apply:
1. To an employee who fails to work a scheduled work day during the work week, or is suspended or discharged for just cause.

2. When there are conditions beyond the Employer's control such as fire, flood, destruction, strikes, snow storm or Acts of God and these conditions cause a curtailment of all or part of an Employer's operation.

3. To the weeks of Christmas and New Years.

In the event an employee has a bona fide medical or dental appointment, the employee will, where possible, be allowed to work hours only to avoid losing an entire day's pay. The employee must furnish proof of said appointment.

Any Full-time employee may be required to report to work before his/her regular starting time and in such event, he/she shall be paid at the rate of one and one-half (1-1/2) times his/her straight time hourly rate for all hours worked before his/her regular starting time in addition to the employee's regular guarantee.

Looks like similar language in the Central:

There shall be a weekly guarantee in each center as follows: In each classification in each center, the most senior ninety percent (90%) of employees called or put to work on the first (1st) workday shall be afforded the opportunity of working forty (40) hours of straighttime work during the week. The guarantee shall not apply: (a) to an employee who fails to work a scheduled workday during the workweek, or is suspended or discharged for just cause; (b) when there are conditions beyond the Employer’s control such as fire, flood, destruction, strikes, snow storm, or Acts of God, and these conditions cause a curtailment of all or part of an Employer’s operation; or, (c) the weeks of Christmas, New Years and Fourth of July. Any time off during this period will be offered by seniority, when business conditions allow.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Central Region Supplement, Art 12 sec 9:

Prior to working any employee six (6) or seven (7) days, the Employer shall have the right to work any qualified employee who has not yet had the opportunity to work five (5) days.

Brownslave688

Central Region Supplement, Art 12 sec 9:

Prior to working any employee six (6) or seven (7) days, the Employer shall have the right to work any qualified employee who has not yet had the opportunity to work five (5) days.
Opprutunity would be the key word here.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I would be all over this. I imagine why this hasn't been brought up is the amount of guys that both want to work 6 days and will file over it are few and far between. I know at the time when j filed over this, I was the only one willing to push the issue, now guys hope on the bandwagon just for the money. I did it because I honestly wanted to work it but was being told the same line of crap you are. Shortly after a check came my way I've been working pretty much any Saturday I like within the aforementioned confines.

Brownslave688

I have always had a problem with this. I have asked about this practice (working less senior 4 shift drivers). I have asked 3 or 4 BAs over the years. I will have to check our local rider.
You may have to really push the issue and go above your BA.

It's all what you're willing to do.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Btw I worked today, 50% of the volunteers were FT drivers. I don't think they've forced PT guys in a couple years now, works out well for everyone the way I see it.

35years

Gravy route
Btw I worked today, 50% of the volunteers were FT drivers. I don't think they've forced PT guys in a couple years now, works out well for everyone the way I see it.
So if I filed, it would be not only the 4 shift FT drivers but also any PT qualfied who were forced?
What would be the time period I could file for? This has been the practice since day 1

I am wondering if I would lose the grievance because the PT drivers work out of the airport T-friend, and thus a different bldg.

It is not often they pull from our bldg. for Saturday.
This was not always the case in the past.
They have shifted work between bldgs. more than once.

Last edited: