Full Time driver transfer

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
The only legitimate reason to not allow transfers is the different pensions involved when transferring from one region to another. Anything else is BS. Transfers seem to work at other companies. Seniority should apply across the board. Despite the jealousy of that one guy that would get bumped by the transfer that has more seniority. No.....there would not be a mass exodus of transfers.
90% of this country's workforce doesn't have to worry about seniority issues.

oldngray

nowhere special
UPS really discourages transfers and only rarely allows it. Usually you have to quit and hope to get rehired at the new center. You might lose all company seniority but your years vested with the Teamster pension would be intact.

Although UPS might give you at least part of your seniority back it isn't guaranteed.

rod

Retired 22 years
The seniority system at UPS and not being able to transfer is probably the only thing that holds the company together anymore. Without it there would be anarchy and the company wouldn't last a year.

542thruNthru

Oh yes there would. Every getto driver in the nation would want a better route (if they were smart). I live in a vacation destination and I guarantee 3/4ths of the Mpls /St, Paul drivers would transfer up here IF they could. The small center here (27-30 drivers) would be filled with 35 - 40 year seniority drivers looking to move up to their lake cabins they already own.

This is true. We have 4 guys right now in my center alone trying to transfer to another location they plan to retire at. They all have 3 to 4 more year but put in their request now so they have plenty of time.

I know of one guy in another center who put in his transfer to Hawaii 5 years in a row and got it this year.

rod

Retired 22 years
This is true. We have 4 guys right now in my center alone trying to transfer to another location they plan to retire at. They all have 3 to 4 more year but put in their request now so they have plenty of time.

I know of one guy in another center who put in his transfer to Hawaii 5 years in a row and got it this year.

I would think the only way a peaceful transfer could happen is if NONE of the part timers wanted to go full time or a centers load doubled overnight and they had to hire so many people that all the current part time got to go full time. You can bet somewhere in Hawaii a part timer is plotting his revenge on the "turd from Indiana" (or wherever) who stole his opportunity to go full time.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Thanks guys! I do fully understand losing my seniority and going to bottom of list which I fully support that. Seems the biggest hurdle is simply remaining full time. Glad to see some positivity for once on this! West Coast seems to have their :censored2: together from what I can see. I will keep digging and asking around. Thanks again!
this question comes up quite a bit here on the brown cafe. each area of the country probably has different language regarding transfers in their contracts. so if you find any info on this or are successful please come back and post info for your area.

it will help many people.

542thruNthru

I would think the only way a peaceful transfer could happen is if NONE of the part timers wanted to go full time or a centers load doubled overnight and they had to hire so many people that all the current part time got to go full time. You can bet somewhere in Hawaii a part timer is plotting his revenge on the "turd from Indiana" (or wherever) who stole his opportunity to go full time.

To be honest I don't know if it's part of the 6-1 ratio or what. I do know that you keep your pay and benefits but you go to the bottom of the seniority list. We have two transfers in my center. Both with 20 years.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I have only heard of a couple of transfers. The drivers kept their time earned for retirement purposes but went to the bottom of building seniority list. I'm not sure how vacations that had been earned were handled but I think they were able to keep the same number of vacation weeks.
yes on keeping vacations. i went to the bottom of seniority but kept everything else according to COMPANY seniority. i still got 7 weeks vaca a year due to my company seniority but i selected my weeks according to my building seniority.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer

yes but he had to go to the bottom, right? the only way you can dovetail in is if the work moves from their home hub to the transfer hub. from a change of operations when work is being transferred.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
UPS really discourages transfers and only rarely allows it. Usually you have to quit and hope to get rehired at the new center. You might lose all company seniority but your years vested with the Teamster pension would be intact.

Although UPS might give you at least part of your seniority back it isn't guaranteed.
it's very dangerous to quit and hope to be rehired at another hub unless you are PT and losing very little time with UPS. I have heard several stories of long time UPS employees that believed management, the union even , and HR , and quit a hub , moved to another state and applied to the new hub and were told " we don't know what the heck you are talking about."

in those cases they were SOL. they did keep the time earned towards their pensions thru the Teamsters . then they could get another Teamster driving job thru ABF or Yellow or whoever with probably a weaker pension .

They tried to get me to quit. I would never ever quit. I kept trying and waited a very long time and finally succeeded but lost beaucoup seniority but it was worth it longterm. have a very respectable pension. no regrets.

Overpaid Union Thug

The turd from Indiana was already full time and had more seniority than the part-timer in Hawaii. It sucks but seniority is seniority. Regardless of how butt hurt and jealous someone is.

So far I feel there is good chance this can happen. How and when is still in the air most def. I'm far from retirement so my reasons are def not for that.

Like I said it may just be a timing thing. Like not enough part timers bid on the full time openings in the center because where I am this has happened frequently bc of our size.

I would be crazy to give up this job or even try to start over as a part timer, much less risk quitting and trying to get an off the road spot. I have nothing but time to figure this out, and it seems there are plenty of people I can talk to that can face me in the right direction.

The simple fact that I hear so many yes and no answers and how's or why's means it is most likely based on individual circumstances (at least in my area). Thanks again I will keep posting when I know more!

Dr.Brownz

I have only heard of a couple of transfers. The drivers kept their time earned for retirement purposes but went to the bottom of building seniority list. I'm not sure how vacations that had been earned were handled but I think they were able to keep the same number of vacation weeks.

Same vacations. Bottom of seniority. We have had 3 transfers in the last ten years or so too our building. One transferred away but he was a PT sup hired off the street (from a town nearby with a large hub) who then transferred back to said town after qualifying (and then I'm told became an on road and center manager). I believe he was a special fast tracked chosen one type case though.