Full time Drivers?

EAMKing

Is UPS hiring full-time drivers anywhere in the country. They havent hired any in NJ for almost 2 years. They said that they are going to hire casuals in May summer replacement, meanwhile sups are pulling routes almost everyday. No full-time drivers that retired got replaced, . When I got hired the wait for full-time as about 1.5 years. Im a part-time air driver, been with the company for 3.5 years. I know you are going to say to file, but should i put a target on my back, and maybe never get a chance to go full-time.

happybob

Feeders
Instead of grieving it right off, talk with your center manager first. See if he/she wont consider you for doing some of the routes you notice the supervisors doing. He's probably got his marching orders from above on how many drivers he can have and may be able to get his boss to consider usieng you as a temp cover driver until they get the ok to add more manpower. Don't threaten him with filing a grievance if he doesn't, that will get you nowhere. If he doesn't consider it then you can speak with the shop steward and see if there a reason they are using the supervisors as cover drivers. If he's a good steward he would consider putting in a grievance on behalf of the union, instead of one particular member. He may have some success. Good luck.

UPSGUY72

Is UPS hiring full-time drivers anywhere in the country. They havent hired any in NJ for almost 2 years. They said that they are going to hire casuals in May summer replacement, meanwhile sups are pulling routes almost everyday. No full-time drivers that retired got replaced, . When I got hired the wait for full-time as about 1.5 years. Im a part-time air driver, been with the company for 3.5 years. I know you are going to say to file, but should i put a target on my back, and maybe never get a chance to go full-time.

File for what? The company has the right to hire casual drivers to fill vacations and help with peak if needed. When the volume picks back up and they need more drivers or people start retiring and the need replacements they will start calling people that signed the list to go full time that they should have posted the first of the year. If you didn't sign that list then you will not be considered for a full time position this year if one open up. I would also read your local rider to see what it says about the use of casual drivers (ie how long and when ). Ask your shop steward and see what he has to say about what going on.

Hang in there some of the driver in your building probably had to wait 5-10 years to get a drivers job.

EAMKing

Pulling means doing routes not cutting them. There is volume in my building. All the full-timers are complaining about working 11+ a day and not being able to get everyting done, missing p/u. They will be able to hire causals May 1st and they are trying to make it untill then. Is the Union able to file on its own or there has to be a member to file.

UPSGUY72

Pulling means doing routes not cutting them. There is volume in my building. All the full-timers are complaining about working 11+ a day and not being able to get everyting done, missing p/u. They will be able to hire causals May 1st and they are trying to make it untill then. Is the Union able to file on its own or there has to be a member to file.

Ask your steward to file they need to hire full time drivers you shouldn't have to put your name on it the steward should be doing his job and taking care of his fellow brothers. How many people do you have on vacation or calling out each day?

UPS doesn't want to hire any FT right know they want to save money. It's alot cheaper for them to hire casuals use and abuse them then laythem off before the first of the year.

happybob

Feeders
If things can't be worked out with your management team you probably will need union intervention. Yes, the Local or your Shop Steward can file a grievance on behalf of the union.