full time management test

To supervise drivers, you very well should have to know how to be a driver yourself. I never said anything to the contrary. To supervise in the hub, that's not always the case. To supervise in the hub, you deal with a totally different animal. The drivers are all grown-ass people with mortgages. In the hub, at least in Island City, most of the people in the hub are :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: kids; some are in and out of prison. Do you really think your comment about supervising drivers applies here?

I'm going to just stop here because this is just going to see-saw back and forth because managent and hourlies can rarely agree, even if there is no reason not to.
First of all, since I have no idea what your point is with the censored words, I can't comment on that.
Secondly, I'm not sure what happens in a "hub", I am guessing that it is much like a center where trailers are unloaded and package cars are loaded for delivery. I also guess that there is probably more than one center in a "hub". If I am missing something in the description of a "hub" , please feel free to enlighten me.
In our center, we have one FT sup in charge of preload who handles the dispatch and supervises the pt sups that are supposed to train and supervise the unload, sort, and all other functions of the preload. All these people fall under the direction of the Center Manager who also is the boss in charge of FT sups that supervise the driver groups. In this type of line up,(IMO) the center manager and all FT sups should be well experienced with the delivery of packages. The understanding of that aspect of the business is essential to even understand what has to be done and how it should be done to give the needed people a chance to succeed in their daily tasks. It's pretty simple logic, you can't teach someone to bunt, if you don't know how to hold a bat. PT sups that are in charge of a belt should know how to load trucks properly, if they don't they can't teach Johnny the Convict College Student" how to load. I fail to understand how a college degree automatically qualifies one for supervision. Give me a reason to agree and I will.

mathematics

Who said that a degree qualifies one for supervision? I sure didn't say that. My point is that all employees that would like to be considered for a promotion into FT supervision as well as FT professional positions (IE, PE, Accounting, Real Estate, Law), need to take the same FT management exam. Everyone needs to realize that just because someone is taking, or wants to take, the FT exam, does not necessarily mean they are looking for a position in the center or the hub. So, don't bash the person or the exam itself because someone wants to take it. You don't know the circumstances.

local804

To supervise drivers, you very well should have to know how to be a driver yourself. I never said anything to the contrary. To supervise in the hub, that's not always the case. To supervise in the hub, you deal with a totally different animal. The drivers are all grown-ass people with mortgages. In the hub, at least in Island City, most of the people in the hub are :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: kids; some are in and out of prison. Do you really think your comment about supervising drivers applies here?

I'm going to just stop here because this is just going to see-saw back and forth because managent and hourlies can rarely agree, even if there is no reason not to.

I think it would be safe to say that 90% of the "grown-ass mortgage people" were the same "animal" that you have to deal with. With a 5/6-1 ratio of pt-ft promotions to people hired off the streets, the majority of the ft drivers were pt not too long ago. The people out of prison that you refer to did go through a HR fulltime supervisor, so now you can do the math.

Who said that a degree qualifies one for supervision? I sure didn't say that. My point is that all employees that would like to be considered for a promotion into FT supervision as well as FT professional positions (IE, PE, Accounting, Real Estate, Law), need to take the same FT management exam. Everyone needs to realize that just because someone is taking, or wants to take, the FT exam, does not necessarily mean they are looking for a position in the center or the hub. So, don't bash the person or the exam itself because someone wants to take it. You don't know the circumstances.
You are correct, you didn't say "that a degree qualifies one for supervision", my bad. However you didn't say "point is that all employees that would like to be considered for a promotion into FT supervision as well as FT professional positions (IE, PE, Accounting, Real Estate, Law), need to take the same FT management exam." either and your point wasn't clear. I agree (think I did from the start) that the support roles of IE,PE, accounting, real estate, Law etc. are also important positions that need to be staffed. I do not disagree that those candidates for positions should need to take the same tests as an OCS, provided it is a supervisor job.
If a management job has no impact on the daily operations of a center or hub, I see no reason why an applicant should have to know anything about package delivery, however IF that person is ever going to be in a position to make decisions on how I do my job, they should dang well need to know what they are talking about. And trust me buddy, there are things they can't learn without doing them.

mathematics

I think it would be safe to say that 90% of the "grown-ass mortgage people" were the same "animal" that you have to deal with. With a 5/6-1 ratio of pt-ft promotions to people hired off the streets, the majority of the ft drivers were pt not too long ago. The people out of prison that you refer to did go through a HR fulltime supervisor, so now you can do the math.

you're right. we do get cream-of-the-crop people into the hub at $8.50/hour.

mathematics

...however IF that person is ever going to be in a position to make decisions on how I do my job, they should dang well need to know what they are talking about. And trust me buddy, there are things they can't learn without doing them.

I already said that.

UPS Lifer

OH I though you said we would never agree.

Mathematics

trpinkl makes a good point. I saw your next post about making an exception. Just your wording though will give you grief with non-management folks. It implies that you are unwilling and or unable to see their point of view.

You - my friend, will have a very tough road ahead if you take that stance. You must always remember that you are equal to non-management. You are not better than any non-management. You are a part of the UPS machinery just like any non-management person. You have a different job to do that is the only difference. Once you think you are better than any non-management person you will start to have nothing but problems. Mark my words!

mathematics

Mathematics

trpinkl makes a good point. I saw your next post about making an exception. Just your wording though will give you grief with non-management folks. It implies that you are unwilling and or unable to see their point of view.

You - my friend, will have a very tough road ahead if you take that stance. You must always remember that you are equal to non-management. You are not better than any non-management. You are a part of the UPS machinery just like any non-management person. You have a different job to do that is the only difference. Once you think you are better than any non-management person you will start to have nothing but problems. Mark my words!

good reference

Mathematics

Life could be so sweet at UPS if more managers/sups thought this way.

A

Anonymous FT Sup

Did anyone ever consider that if the hourlies did what they were supposed to do the supervisors wouldn't have to be such a-holes.

The full time management test is three parts. The applicant assessment, the inbox, and the panel interview.

The assessment is a series of questions like "what would you be most likely to do in this situation" and "what would you be least likely to do in this situation"

The In-Box is a series of tasks that you must organize and prioritize.

The panel interview is three division level managers asking you questions with/without a role playing exercise.

I heard the failure rate for the first test is about 90%, for the second test it is about 95%, and if you get to the panel interview and can speak clearly you pass the MAPP process.

GoBrown???

what i learned is that a good portion of sups become sups because they sucked at their previous job. i.e. preloader, sorter, driver.

we had 1 kid that had no clue how to load a pkg car and then they moved him to be management, lets just say he still has no clue of what he is doing and is training the future miserably.

GoBrown???

I heard the failure rate for the first test is about 90%, for the second test it is about 95%, and if you get to the panel interview and can speak clearly you pass the MAPP process.

with the morons in my building they must be failing the ones that actually pass. the 10% that fail are the ones they hire...go figure.

in the great words of James Casey himself. "We make dollars, not sense"

UPS Lifer

what i learned is that a good portion of sups become sups because they sucked at their previous job. i.e. preloader, sorter, driver.

we had 1 kid that had no clue how to load a pkg car and then they moved him to be management, lets just say he still has no clue of what he is doing and is training the future miserably.

A poor manager takes anything he/she can get. There is an old term that I detest...."give me a body". I would rather leave a position open than take any "body"!

The way around that is to constantly be recruiting the very best. I was always at least 5 deep in candidates. My 5th candidate was usually better than some other operation's number 1 choice. My biggest thing was to give them an expectation talk and hold them to what they said they would do once I hired them. The most important aspects of a manager is to:
1. Plan the operation and make sure you have the proper staffing
2. Constantly train your people and hold them accountable - this includes cross-training
3. Audit and assess your operation

UPS Lifer

Did anyone ever consider that if the hourlies did what they were supposed to do the supervisors wouldn't have to be such a-holes.

Did you ever consider if mgmt weren't such **** then the non-mgmt would do what they are supposed to?

There is the "us vs. them" mentality AGAIN! It all starts with us. Management needs to set the example. 95% of the workforce are great people. Work with the other 5% and don't treat the 95% the way you might be treating the 5%.

Try this for one day.... Walk around to your drivers only and pick out one thing yesterday that they did right and let them know that you appreciate it. It is a miracle drug!

See what happens when you treat someone with respect. They will respond in a very positive way once they realize it is sincere.. (Key Point!)

Why are you Anonymous anyway?