Full time permanent package delivery driver

Faceplanted

[dd="Brownslave688, post: 1844654, member: 34439"]Not the same everywhere.[/QUOTE]
Yes it is no matter what you are told. Full time package driver means 8 hours. Don't listen to what they feed you it's all lies to keepthe ship running. I actually heard a on road asking a full time guy if he could take a lay off day because another full time guy didn't work mon and tue and he agreed. I asked him if he needed the money he said ya, but he thinks this is a team environment and he's helpjg out managemsnt and the other driver, only thing he's doing is hurting him self and his new family

I'm not a steward but I know the contract very well and I go above and beyond to help these new full timers out, as the stewarts don't do enough IMHO. Trust me, lots of us have been there and done it, played the nice guy game for years, got a reputation for being a push over and gotten burnt

Work hard, do stuff by the book, try your honest best every day and file!!!! Don't be scared!!! The intimidation will come and it will stop once there is a grevience for every instance of harassmsnt and retaliation. If blow comes to blow and you get fired for a bs reason the paper trail will show what has been going on at a panel

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
[dd="Brownslave688, post: 1844654, member: 34439"]Not the same everywhere.
Yes it is no matter what you are told. Full time package driver means 8 hours. Don't listen to what they feed you it's all lies to keepthe ship running. I actually heard a on road asking a full time guy if he could take a lay off day because another full time guy didn't work mon and tue and he agreed. I asked him if he needed the money he said ya, but he thinks this is a team environment and he's helpjg out managemsnt and the other driver, only thing he's doing is hurting him self and his new family

I'm not a steward but I know the contract very well and I go above and beyond to help these new full timers out, as the stewarts don't do enough IMHO. Trust me, lots of us have been there and done it, played the nice guy game for years, got a reputation for being a push over and gotten burnt[/QUOTE]

You don't know what you're talking about.

Not the same everywhere.

Faceplanted

Lol @ I don't know what I'm saying. Other ogs will chime in.

Have you actually sat down and read your contract? The contract that basically dictates how your career works and what is acceptable and not acceptable based on an agreement between ups and its hourly employees?

Take it how you want, I'm trying to help you out and other new guys as well

Brownslave688

Lol @ I don't know what I'm saying. Other ogs will chime in.

Have you actually sat down and read your contract? The contract that basically dictates how your career works and what is acceptable and not acceptable based on an agreement between ups and its hourly employees?

Take it how you want, I'm trying to help you out and other new guys as well
Yep top 90% of drivers who work on Monday are guaranteed 40 hours for the week.

Thanks for playing though.

You just face planted

Brownslave688

Did they tell you Friday you were not needed? Or did they play the "your on call" game?
Wut?

I basically work when I want to. I have enough seniority getting my 40 is not a problem if I want it.

All I'm saying is locals and regions have different language. Here if they send you home telling you there's no work and you file you only get paid for 6 hours not 8

I've never been told I was on call. I'm
Not a 2 month wonder. Been around awhile.

Faceplanted

Wut?

I basically work when I want to. I have enough seniority getting my 40 is not a problem if I want it.

All I'm saying is locals and regions have different language. Here if they send you home telling you there's no work and you file you only get paid for 6 hours not 8

I've never been told I was on call. I'm
Not a 2 month wonder. Been around awhile.
Trust me I feel u. I been full time for years. Iv had years where I worked 3 days a week almost every week and just took lay off days. I was "happy" to be home. Now having years in, I realize if I just worked, rolled thst into my 401k, gained the 10% or so yearly gains I would have had damn near 200k siting. Food for though.

U rifgt I'm wrong I never heard any 90% language in any area, or 6hr language. Even so I'm sure that there is language saying you need to be notified Friday about Monday, and lots of your co workers are being told Monday they are not needed which is not how it works.

Im very curious what suppliment your under?

Man Of Brown

Here's language right out of our rider. This is what I read and wouldn't mind your interpretation. Management has told me if you aren't a bid driver you are on call. But the start time paper posted has my name with a start time. One of my stewards also said if you're cut you're cut, unless you were told to come in.

SECTION 2 – SHOW-UP PAY
Any employee with seniority standing shall receive a full day’s pay
if put to work, or if not put to work after reporting shall be allowed
one-half (½) day’s pay, unless notified the previous day that there
would be no work.

SECTION 3 - ON CALL DRIVERS
(A) In centers dispatching twenty (20) or fewer drivers, the least
senior driver dispatched shall be guaranteed four (4) hours pay. In
centers dispatching more than twenty (20) drivers, the two least sen-
ior drivers dispatched shall be guaranteed four (4) hours pay. Such
drivers who are placed on call shall be given a start time by 12:00
noon for that day. If no start time is given by 12:00 noon then the
employee is released for the day after having contacted the center.

SECTION 9 – LAY-0FF
(A) Package drivers hired after July 31, 1997 shall be subject to lay-
off with-in the Center in which they work up to a maximum of five
(5) consecutive working days. After having been laid off for five
(5) consecutive working days in any calendar year, the employee
shall be able to exercise his building seniority rights for the remain-
der of that calendar year.
(B) After a seniority package driver has been laid off at least ten
(10) days within the calendar year, and unable to drive in another
center, he may elect to displace the least senior part-time employ-
ee(s) in the building in which he has seniority.

jamescasey420

Not to be the bearer of bad news, however if your being hired at this time of the year it might not be a a FT permanent position no matter what they tell you. This is the free period of the year in most areas meaning anyone hired and that works between now and up to the second week in January is considered a seasonal hire and doesn't gain seniority after 30 days. If they keep you after January 15 you can add permanent to your title until then your seasonal. If they lay you off before January 15th and they would need to hire you back before May 1st for you to be considered FT. Other wise you could get hired back as a seasonal employee again....

Good luck
Just to add something. Tell the person that hires you to put it in writing.