Full Time Sup Questions

preload1

You most certainly do not want to be a full time sup.

You may work a little more as a driver but you'll make more also. Plus I don't know one management person that doesn't regret it.
You might make more up until the time your local starts covering it's losses by covering less of your medical benefits. Does Teamcare ring a bell? I retired after32 years with UPS, two of those years as a Preloader and four of those years as a driver. The rest was in management. I have NO regrets. I learned more at UPS than I could have learned at any college or university. And now that I am retired I am called back for peak to work as a consultant at an hourly rate much higher than what you all make now. Life is good.

ReddyBrown

What's the starting pay, how far can they transfer me, what are the raises like, and are the hours generally better than those of a driver?

You're sworn to keep your salary a secret but in my division near NYC starting salary for on car was what a driver at top pay would make doing 9 hours a day. Add the MIP and its 10 hrs give or take. Raises are usually between 2-4% To guage your hours just look at the sups in your area because it varies. Many sups get early days which can balance your hours but on-road sups are known for working the longest days of all jobs in the company.

Up sides: -Promotion opportunities: managers get a 34% MIP

Last edited:

ReddyBrown

-Large pay increase for many inside workers and part-timers -Takes a low physical toll
-Develops skills that are useful in and out of work
-401k match
-There's no progression for top pay or union dues
-Can be fulfilling in a way union work isn't
-You're an important member of a team
-Setup to be a meritocracy; your performance is based on merit, and can be measured definitely and easily

Down Sides - No Union perks or protection
-Benefits are not as good as union workers and you may have to pay into them
-Hours are typically longer
-High stress environment; you are held responsible for every
aspect of your op or group.
-You can be relocated as the company pleases, usually within your
district or division
-People will take a calculated approach with you, especially your
employees; you're not one of the guys (important for some and hard
to adjust to especially if you have been an hourly worker).
-There is no routine, your job is different and always changing.
(a positive for some)
-Random expectations you will be pressured into: United Way, UPS PAC
-You can lose your MIP or raise for a bad decision; MIP fluxuation
- Many problems can be hard or impossible to fix; issues arise
that seem arbitrary; you are held accountable for unpredictable things
and many more....

It is not an easy job and it will change your life. You need to ask yourself a few things before deciding. People who do well usually have a set of characteristics and skills that make it possible to succeed. You need to imagine yourself in the situations that are tough and know yourself enough to handle them. Sups that avoid confrontation or resist management don't move up. You have to be into the job to be successful and lend yourself to the company, in a way that's almost like having faith. Sorry for being long winded but it will be one of the most important decisions you make, so think on it thoroughly. Don't take the leap if you can't see yourself being good at it. It takes at least a year to really understand how to do the job so prepare to struggle for a while, and be prepared to have a different and possibly hostile relationships with your old co-workers. You will learn about yourself, strengths and weaknesses, and get an unparalleled business operations experience. For many it comes at a cost. That cost is what makes or breaks you as management.
Good luck!

Last edited:

MethodsMan

$70-100K plus stock.

Resident know-it-all.

Not quite. A guy I've known for years, became a FT Sup in operations and is quitting. I asked him why, he said, a lot of BS going on and not enough pay. I said really? Not enough pay? He said drivers make a significant amount more than he does/did. He's been a FT sup for 3 years.

Needless to say, he's exploring other avenues.

MethodsMan

I'm thinking more in the 50-60k range. Who knows, maybe it is more and he's full of :censored2: and they're forcing him out nicely and letting him resign??? He's always been well-liked.

MethodsMan

On-cars make $60-80K. center manager's make $80-100K. These figures do not include performance bonuses or stock.

Resident know-it-all.

So where does the operational sup making 70-100k come from? A guy organizing people in the outbound isn't going to bank more than an on-car. One is managing FT'ers the other is managing PT'ers.

RolloTony Brown Town

FT hub inside operations supervisors make 50-70k year depending on experience, education, performance, etc.

FT package supervisors (dispatch, preload, local sort) make a lil more but we're talking 65-75k.

On road supervisors make a base around 70k at the low end. I'm not sure about the high end. I've heard on roads that have been at it for years making 85k+ before MIP.

Ft management is a ton of bs. Hours are long, numbers are difficult to hit and others are fudged. The money is hardly worth the trouble. I hear feeder on road supervisors make the most at the ft level. If young management were smart, they would get their CDL and express interest in a career path in feeders. Shortest hours, best pay, and between the experience and the license you've now become a marketable asset.

Sent using BrownCafe App