Full time swing driver?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Sebastianss, May 13, 2016.

1. Sebastianss

Sebastianss New Member

can I expect to work almost everyday I'm in a rural area they told me I could cover my center and one nearby it's the same manger that runs both mine also has one tcd and the other has two will I have more seniority then them getting hired full time off the street it's FULL TIME not permanent part time or anything
  2. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

I really don't know.
  3. Operational needs

Operational needs Well-Known Member

4. Nope...we dont have swing drivers
  5. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

If they are telling you that you could be covering 2 centers, they are saying, "If you want to work this summer, you will have to be available at both centers, otherwise you will not work everyday."

Everyone will have more seniority than you.
  6. Sebastianss

Sebastianss New Member

Okay thanks just wanna be able to work everyday
  7. JL 0513

JL 0513 Well-Known Member

Do you mean you just don't call them "swing" drivers. We don't call then that either but they are cover drivers which every center has to have. All cover drivers are full time in all my local centers. We are all guaranteed to work everyday.

Otherwise, how would any bid driver ever get a day off?
  8. We have regular temps.
    They are not guaranteed to work
  9. 3 done 3 to go

3 done 3 to go In control of my own destiny

We have pt covers. Work when there is an opening for the day
  10. Sebastianss

Sebastianss New Member

Yes that what I am but they told me I'm full time not part time
  11. silenze

silenze Lunch is the best part of the day

You would cover vacations. If they have no work you would have to work a shift inside the building. No you wouldn't drive every day. It takes a few years and a few more guys under you to work everyday
  12. Sebastianss

Sebastianss New Member

We're a self load no pre load
  13. cosmo1

You said you were hired off the street. You are a seasonal hire. You will only work when needed and you have no seniority.

14. Sebastianss

Sebastianss New Member

There's 20 guys including me 15 of them pare over 20 years also so I'd imagine lot of vacation time?
  15. Sebastianss

Sebastianss New Member

No lm not seasonal they specifically told me
  16. Sebastianss

Sebastianss New Member

Idk I leave for intergard Sunday I'll find out after that what I got myself into lol
  17. cosmo1

That only really means that you will work "some" during vacation time, get laid off and come back (hopefully) at peak.

I have no idea what the free period is in your local, but during it you will accrue no days toward seniority.

Best of luck to you.

Hope this helps.
  18. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

I been swinging for years now.
  19. JL 0513

JL 0513 Well-Known Member

We only have temps in December. Our local only adds drivers (all FT) when there is space for a permanent FT driver.