Full-Time, Temperary, Seasonal Tracter Trailer Driver

I know this question has probably been asked plenty. Just applied for Full-Time, Temperary, Seasonal Tracter Trailer Driver Position(ATL Metro). What possibility is there that I can get on full time in this postion?

- 3 years OTR experience (Flatbed, Reefer, dry van, and touch freight). All with one company.
- 24 years of age
- no accidents
- have hazmat, tanker, Doubles triples etc. (Good til 2021)

I know for a fact this is a feeder postion, not UPS Freight(says in job description). I thought ups parcel only hires from within.

Even if I can't get full-time feeder, what are the chances of me becoming full-time package car driver? I've always wanted to work at UPS.

What are my chances?

Thanks in advance!!

PT Car Washer

I know this question has probably been asked plenty. Just applied for Full-Time, Temperary, Seasonal Tracter Trailer Driver Position(ATL Metro). What possibility is there that I can get on full time in this postion?

- 3 years OTR experience (Flatbed, Reefer, dry van, and touch freight). All with one company.
- 24 years of age
- no accidents
- have hazmat, tanker, Doubles triples etc. (Good til 2021)

I know for a fact this is a feeder postion, not UPS Freight(says in job description). I thought ups parcel only hires from within.

Even if I can't get full-time feeder, what are the chances of me becoming full-time package car driver? I've always wanted to work at UPS.

What are my chances?

Thanks in advance!!
Pretty much zero chance of being kept on FT Feeder after Peak. Best bet is to work PT package handler after peak and wait for a FT opening. With your experience you could go from PT to a Feeder job or package car. Not many PT package handlers have your amount of years of experience. Of course it means you would have to work PT for $10/hr for who knows how many months.

Thank for such the quick reply. So my best bet if i even get the job is to do my best seasonal work try to get part time gig then wait? As long as I have a chance to get foot in door i wouldn't mind ;)

PT Car Washer

Thank for such the quick reply. So my best bet if i even get the job is to do my best seasonal work try to get part time gig then wait? As long as I have a chance to get foot in door i wouldn't mind ;)
My building has a sign up sheet for FT Feeder jobs if you meet the requirements. Almost all PT employees do not qualify. Two years verifiable experience driving tracker/ trailer FT in all weather. Depending on your location, it could either be a long shot or you could be working this Spring. Best bet is to talk to your Union Local and other Feeder drivers.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Yes, but the wait to go FT could be longer than you think. If they tell you 3 years, it's more like 6+ years. But if you stick with it, the driving position can be very rewarding.

PT Car Washer

Yes, but the wait to go FT could be longer than you think. If they tell you 3 years, it's more like 6+ years. But if you stick with it, the driving position can be very rewarding.
My building is hiring FT package car driver right off the boat. No experience needed. Doesn't mean you will qualify, but at least you get a shot.

I here it's all seniority. Sometime I regret not taking package handler position when I had the chance in my teens. At least I got some driving experience under my belt to help get closer to my goals. Thanks for the reply!!

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Yes they do hire off the street. Especially the big hubs. Seasonal means you will be let go after 1st week of January.
You can find the exact hiring language in the local union contract. I would work seasonal to get a feel for what ups is like then keep in contact with your managers and check upsjobs.com for full time permanent employment

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Feeder temps are usually gaurenteed till mid January , then if liked ,, called back in may till oct for vacation cover

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Location is Forest Park, GA. Atlanta metro area. I don't know how big the hub is but i here the bigger the better. Right?

I work in the Forest Park Hub. We have a long list of package car drivers who bounce back and forth between package and feeder, so your chances of retaining feeder after Christmas is about zero. The good news is that the wait for package car isn't bad since we have a very hard time finding qualified part-time people that can drive a stick and have clean driving records. My guess is that you could go FT into package car in less than a year. They are spending $8 million on expanding the building right now.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Location is Forest Park, GA. Atlanta metro area. I don't know how big the hub is but i here the bigger the better. Right?

Its not a big Hub. The Feeder Dept has about thirty-something routes and the two Package Centers put about 125 routes on the road every day. A lot of drivers are talking about retiring, so I think there will be a lot of openings after the pension increase after the first of the year.

Last edited:
What's a bigger hub in atlanta metro area? I am thinking about just waiting for a full time to open up. I see lots of UPS trucks where I work. Do they have a hub off Fulton Industrial BLVD? Is it big?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Fulton Industrial is larger than Forest Park, Pleasantdale is the largest. I have no idea about wait times at either place.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Op. good luck getting in, good $ here and a great stable path to choose in trans business ! Good info as always @scratch '!
OP , go with this guys info, he's a straight shooter on here