Full time to part time....

bobjoe

I wanted to go back to part time after going driving full time for 2 years. However, I wasn't able to step down. Apparently, the only way to go back to part time was to quit and be rehired. If I were to be rehired, is there anything in the contract that states I get to keep my company seniority ( pay, vacation, etc)? I worked at UPS for 7 years, 5 as part time (vested.) My reasons for deciding to going back to part time are personal.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I wanted to go back to part time after going driving full time for 2 years. However, I wasn't able to step down. Apparently, the only way to go back to part time was to quit and be rehired. correct If I were to be rehired, is there anything in the contract that states I get to keep my company seniority ( pay, vacation, etc)? no

PT Car Washer

I don't think you will be able to keep your seniority. No guarantee you will be rehired. If things are that difficult you may want to think about a career change. Good news is you don't have a lot of time invested in the job.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
That's exactly why I tell these young guys who are thinking about going into full time driving to temp drive for a year or 2 to see what its really like and see if they think they want to do it. I explain to them once you go fulltime theres no turning back. Temp driving almost the way to go nowadays with how bad this job has gotten.

By The Book

We just recently had a guy make his 30 days. At the PCM when the center manager announced we had a new driver, some of us said you should have quit before you made it. Welcome to late nights with UPS!

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I wanted to go back to part time after going driving full time for 2 years. However, I wasn't able to step down. Apparently, the only way to go back to part time was to quit and be rehired. If I were to be rehired, is there anything in the contract that states I get to keep my company seniority ( pay, vacation, etc)? I worked at UPS for 7 years, 5 as part time (vested.) My reasons for deciding to going back to part time are personal.

You might have an out if you're medically disqualified from driving, but this varies on the language in your supplement and any past practice/similar situations in your area. I don't know why, but the company is completely against letting FT employees go back to being PT even if they accept the PT pay scale they would have otherwise received had they never gone FT.

browntroll

from what i understood in my contract you cant go back to part time. i have seen drivers do full time in hub, well they
had suspended license so not much that can be done. i do always see all these guys with 1 year or less seniority already
itching to become full time drivers.

jaker

trolling
I never understood why we could never go back to PT , I know it wouldn't be right to bump someone but if they are hiring from the street then I don't see the issue

If you was able to go back you just lose the years driving

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
It's a friggen nightmare with the pensions and differing insurances...oh...you want the honest answer...well...here it (probably) is. "Whenever we try to put you back in the system, the computer says we can't because you already exist and we don't know how to work around it. Sorryyyyyyyy!" Yeah. That about sums it up.

PeasAndCarrots

Only way out of driving is to become a supervisor or quit. Becoming a supervisor after 2 years if ACTUAL driving would be great for all the future drivers you'd be working over. It makes a huge difference when the sup you're explaining something to knows what the hell you're talking about from experience.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
After 7 years....would you be willing to start all over at 10/hr? Ughh...I don't think I'd do it.

Cyrex

I could have swore my HR lady said if you quiet and get put on rehire you just loose building seniority but keep everything else.

Cyrex

She said if you have seniority and you quiet you loose building seniority. Then if you get rehired you keep you time vested, overall seniority for pay, retirement, and stuff like that. However this is a little different becaues pay scale, retirement, and everything is different.

This was mostly becaues I asked moving to another faculty via quieting so I could take an off the street spot.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
She said if you have seniority and you quiet you loose building seniority. Then if you get rehired you keep you time vested, overall seniority for pay, retirement, and stuff like that. However this is a little different becaues pay scale, retirement, and everything is different.

This was mostly becaues I asked moving to another faculty via quieting so I could take an off the street spot.

If you voluntarily quit/break seniority, you'll maintain any vested pension years (you must have at least 5 years in either the FT or PT plans) but that's about it. You'll lose your pay rate, vacations, etc.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Just ran into a guy i know after preload...after 6 yrs loading and 4 years FT driving...he quit a few months ago. He was just rehired as a PTer making 11/hr...i can't even imagine doing it all over again...lol

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

It might depend on your supplement...but my buddy lost everything...seniority, pay, and vacation. Only thing he has is his years vested towards his pension.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Let me reinterate a point. You go temp driving as a rehearsal to decide if you want to go fulltime. How hard is that advice to understand, I don't get it. You ask the drivers and most will give you all the info on how bad fulltime sucks now. Easy choice nowadays.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
In New England, you can go back from PT to FT for up to five? or three years, if you have a medical or personal reason. You can go back to FT during this time, or if you decide to stay PT, you don't lose your building seniority or anything else except FT seniority.

BrownChoice

In New England, you can go back from PT to FT for up to five? or three years, if you have a medical or personal reason. You can go back to FT during this time, or if you decide to stay PT, you don't lose your building seniority or anything else except FT seniority.

I can see this changing in years to come. But then theyd lose so many ftmer's, the old ones, the injured ones, etc . It would be great for those who WANT to be an All Timer, (Full-Time). :-)