Funding withheld for tuition reimbursement?

brett636

So last semester I went to school, applied for and was approved for tuition reimbursement just as I have every semester. On Jan. 9 I turned in my grades and tuition statements so that I can be reimbursed. As of yesterday I had not received my tuition reimbursement check so I called edcor to find out what the hold up is(I usually receive the check about a week after payment has been approved which took place on Jan. 13). Apparently I have been approved for payment, but according to the person I spoke with funding has not arrived from UPS so that I can be reimbursed. This is the first time I have had this occur since I began working for UPS 2000. Is anyone else receiving the same excuse? Is there anybody here who has received their tuition reimbursement check for the fall 2008 semester? I'm wondering if they suspended funding of the tuition reimbursement for the first quarter in order to keep costs down. I'm hoping someone on here has some insight as to what might be occuring with this. Thanks!

drewed

Shankman
Jr that is about as ignorant as a statement that can be made.

Been in college since 2000? arent you pretty close to maxing out?

W

westsideworma

could be doing a semester here and there haha, but even then yeah I think he'd be close.

some1else

Banned
i delt with this system for 6 semesters (started ups my sophomore year) and every single one was a PIA. however for the 1500$ per semester i was getting my feeling was it was WORTH IT lol

some times it would be a few months of appeals blah blah; but i always got it. however it is not part of your contract; and if they dont feel like paying it they dont have to.

Kraetos

Preload, Loader
I don't understand why you guys are going to school, you have a job at UPS. If you want more, just become a driver, your life is already set without having to waste time on school...

Last edited:

upsdude

I don't understand why you guys are going to school, you have a job at UPS. If you want more, just become a driver, your life is already set without having to waste time on school...

There’s nothing wrong with continuing to attend school. I know 2 drivers, one retired, one still on the job that have their Masters. I know many more, as I’m sure others here do as well, that either have a BS or are really close.

In a millisecond you could suffer a career ending injury, a degree would get you right back in the workforce.

some1else

Banned

You are confused vis a vis the differences of an institute of high learning and 13th grade (or a trade school).

I went to obtain an education not a payday; which is the same answer i give when people ask why I majored in liberal arts.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There’s nothing wrong with continuing to attend school. I know 2 drivers, one retired, one still on the job that have their Masters. I know many more, as I’m sure others here do as well, that either have a BS or are really close.

In a millisecond you could suffer a career ending injury, a degree would get you right back in the workforce.

I think (hope) that he was simply being sarcastic; if not, he is poorly misguided.

DownsizedUPS'er

missing my UPS family

yeah, thats what i thought too, and 18 years in my position was outsourced. no job is safe, just ask all the people at DHL.

brett636

Yea, taking semesters off, and changing degree programs definitely has hurt me in getting a degree in a timely manner. The important thing is I stick with it and continue to work towards a degree to help open future opportunities. I am not as close to maxing out as you think, but I went full time which increased my tuition reimbursement amount by $10,000. I still intend on finishing, but I still have a little ways to go.

I know all I can do in this situation is wait, but being this is the first time I ever came across this problem I thought I would check with all of you here on the browncafe to see if I could get some better answers.

So last semester I went to school, applied for and was approved for tuition reimbursement just as I have every semester. On Jan. 9 I turned in my grades and tuition statements so that I can be reimbursed. As of yesterday I had not received my tuition reimbursement check so I called edcor to find out what the hold up is(I usually receive the check about a week after payment has been approved which took place on Jan. 13). Apparently I have been approved for payment, but according to the person I spoke with funding has not arrived from UPS so that I can be reimbursed. This is the first time I have had this occur since I began working for UPS 2000. Is anyone else receiving the same excuse? Is there anybody here who has received their tuition reimbursement check for the fall 2008 semester? I'm wondering if they suspended funding of the tuition reimbursement for the first quarter in order to keep costs down. I'm hoping someone on here has some insight as to what might be occuring with this. Thanks!

Oh man, well for Spring semester 08 UPS/EDCOR took their sweet time in getting me my tuition reimbursement. It took them 10 days to process after I faxed them my grades then about 3 weeks for it to be mailed to me.

For Fall semester 08 so far it has been 14 days and it the tracking thing says

"01/26/2009 12:14:52 Payment Pending Funds The payment request is pending your company's funding. Please check back in a few days for a status update. Please contact your company's Program Administrator with any questions."

So I don't know, hopefully they are just processing a lot of applications or whatever. I will be very screwed if UPS doesn't cough up the $1500 dollars.

Lets cross our fingers!

rod

Retired 22 years
Yea, taking semesters off, and changing degree programs definitely has hurt me in getting a degree in a timely manner. The important thing is I stick with it and continue to work towards a degree to help open future opportunities. I am not as close to maxing out as you think, but I went full time which increased my tuition reimbursement amount by $10,000. I still intend on finishing, but I still have a little ways to go.

I know all I can do in this situation is wait, but being this is the first time I ever came across this problem I thought I would check with all of you here on the browncafe to see if I could get some better answers.

I hope your going for more than just a BA. According to 20/20 or 60 Minutes (can't remember which one) a BA isn't worth the paper it's printed on anymore. In fact- they went so far as to say college is the biggest ripoff going nowdays. The "experts" were recommending going to a trade school if your looking for an above average paying job with benefits -----------------------------------------------(or get a driving job at UPS):peaceful:

P

pickup

In the movie "Animal House" , they finally got kicked out after failing "double secret probation" and John Belushi's character "Bluto" yelled out "Sh-t (or some other expletive) , seven years of college down the drain."

Overpaid Union Thug

I hope your going for more than just a BA. According to 20/20 or 60 Minutes (can't remember which one) a BA isn't worth the paper it's printed on anymore. In fact- they went so far as to say college is the biggest ripoff going nowdays. The "experts" were recommending going to a trade school if your looking for an above average paying job with benefits -----------------------------------------------(or get a driving job at UPS):peaceful:

Sadly, that is the truth. I wish I had went to a trade school before going full-time at UPS. There are more degrees than decent paying jobs.