Funeral leave?? does UPS pay for ex mother in laws

61upssinbad

Management say that they do not pay for ex's. The contract does not say anything about not paying for ex's. That is discrimination!! Why is it that people who are legally separated get paid funeral leave but someone who is divorced does not? Has anyone ever been paid for an ex's funeral?

upsgrunt

Seriously? C'mon!

In your opinion where should the line be drawn? If you were to be paid for your EX's mother's funeral, then why not her second cousins's best friends brother?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think it is admirable that you want to show your respects but the line has to be drawn somewhere. Legally separated and divorced are two entirely different things. Take a personal day.

brownIEman

That would be insane for UPS to agree to. Think about it, UPS offers employees an EXTRA paid day off for a deceased EX mother in law. Now say it to yourself again, slowly. UPS would face a huge class action lawsuit for depraved indifference due to the high number of ex mother in laws passing under "mysterious circumstances".

In seriousness, 61, my condolences and as has been said, props to you for showing your respects. I am guessing you had a much healthier relationship with your ex-mother in law than most.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Management say that they do not pay for ex's. The contract does not say anything about not paying for ex's. That is discrimination!! Why is it that people who are legally separated get paid funeral leave but someone who is divorced does not? Has anyone ever been paid for an ex's funeral?

and now everyone knows why it had to be spelled out in the contract.

My condolences to you and you definitely took the high road in staying close to your ex-mother in law.

local804

and now everyone knows why it had to be spelled out in the contract.

My condolences to you and you definitely took the high road in staying close to your ex-mother in law.

Supervisors not doing bargaining work is spelled out also though, no?

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Supervisors not doing bargaining work is spelled out also though, no?

It also says "working in the best interest of the company"...

Leave it for another thread 804....

re-read the post. The reason it was spelled out in the contract (I assume) is just for the reason the original poster asked the question about.

Heck lets pay them for any funeral....geez give it a break with union stuff 804...

local804

It also says "working in the best interest of the company"...

98% of the employees always do as instructed and work in the best interest of the company. I wouldn't put too much into a poster thats asks this type of question with this being his first and only post. It isnt about union stuff, its about right and wrong Dragonman.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Sounds like he passionate about wanting to get paid. Nothing wrong with that, I do not think another company (union or non-union) would pay him for an ex-mother law's funeral either. However, because we are a union company, I assume we put it in the contract just for cases like this.

804, you guys got enough going on at the union hall. Might want to help get them straight on right or wrong union stuff before you get "UPS" straight....

local804

Thanks for the advice Dragon. Our guys in the hall know whats going on, it seems like once in a while UPS forgets.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Great Reply 804, we truly do. Seems like some days we have to re-invent the wheel on our side of the house.

Integrity

Binge Poster
61upsinbad,

Please refer to the National Master United Parcel Service Agreement, Article 29 Section 2.

Sincerely,
I