Funny FDX video shown on the national news.

Hate 150lb Packages

We all load our Ground trucks like that here. I see other Ground terminals and they load like that too. Granted, it's only @terminal. I don't throw every package, but theres times when I have a bulk stop and I know it's nothing fragile, so I toss it in. Im not stupid enough to do it in a busy street in front of everyone, but why fire her? Just to save face? Pathetic. Glad I don't work for fred.

fedupped

I'm not a manager and I don't have a permanent presence on the belts, but I am assigned mostly QA responsibilities which means I do find myself on the killing floor/vanline quite often.

Throwing packages adds unnecessary risk of damaging them. Why would you want to do that?
Two pullers...6 trucks..one major mall getting 200-300 pkgs(boxes..30lbs clothes etc). Mgrs at other end of belt hiding. Belt is not stopping...pkgs are piling up...pkgs 6 trucks up are also piling up into the mix. You have no clue, like most of upper mgmt and people not in the trenches.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Two pullers...6 trucks..one major mall getting 200-300 pkgs(boxes..30lbs clothes etc). Mgrs at other end of belt hiding. Belt is not stopping...pkgs are piling up...pkgs 6 trucks up are also piling up into the mix. You have no clue, like most of upper mgmt and people not in the trenches.

As short-staffed as most locations are, SOP is sliding packages along the floor and flinging them up onto the shelves. Managers watch it happen and say nothing because it saves money. If they were to actually do it right and by the book, you'd have double the people on the sort. I have a couple of videos that make this one look very tame (which it is). My favorite one has an Amazon and a Verizon box crushed beneath a 75# crate that is tossed by 2 handlers over a filled slide. It goes on YouTube the day I leave.

Ricochet1a

Well, it looks like Mr. Wavy Hands passed off the apology this time to another Senior VP (Human Resources).

It does appear that the driver was canned.

[video=youtube;tz48gGZIK-E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz48gGZIK-E[/video]

Expect the heat to be turned up even higher on you - Fred doesn't like to be publicly humiliated - he loves his brand MUCH more than you.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well, it looks like Mr. Wavy Hands passed off the apology this time to another Senior VP (Human Resources).

It does appear that the driver was canned.

[video=youtube;tz48gGZIK-E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz48gGZIK-E[/video]

Expect the heat to be turned up even higher on you - Fred doesn't like to be publicly humiliated - he loves his brand MUCH more than you.

FU Shannon. Expect more assignments like this is the near future.

Ricochet1a

Her biggest sin was getting caught in doing something that tarnishes the FedEx Brand. You'll notice in the FedEx apology - that they state they deliver something like 10 million packages a day.

Express delivers only about one-third of that....

This was a tacit admission that the BRAND was tarnished (Express, Ground, the whole shooting works).

With the MILLIONS that FedEx spends on building and maintaining its brand - some Courier which demonstrates all the hypocrisy of the marketing bull is going to get the full fury of Fred...

When I was doing bulk pickups (loading through back), I'd place the larger/heavier pieces on the floor of the truck, then progressively 'shove' them further forward as more and more freight was loaded. The small light stuff, I'd give them a toss to the lower shelf - EVERYONE did this. No one would take the time to climb in and out of the truck over the bumper, to place small packages - just too much strain on the knees when there isn't a step assist available. Once the load was in the vehicle, THEN I'd rearrange IF I had further stops to perform. If it was my last stop - I would drive straight back to the station without worrying about the stuff in the back. Express didn't and doesn't provide cargo nets or the time to REALLY take care of the load properly. They got (and get) what they pay for.

I'd have to say she did show a lack in judgment in tossing the packages overhand towards the front of the cargo area - I would've merely stacked them in the back, then after closing the rear door, gone around through the cab cargo door and rearranged the load. Her 'thumbs-up" she gave to the other guy after he joined in the package toss was probably what made FedEx decide to can her immediately.

She was in NYC, so she most likely will still qualify for unemployment (the video may ruin her chances though).

ALWAYS assume you are being monitored. There are cameras at customer's locations, cameras at the higher income resi addresses and people with smart phones EVERYWHERE that can and WILL record you doing anything they think is worthy of YouTube.

WAD... it is the only defense you have. When your productivity falls - get a check ride and have the SPH adjusted. If you manager tells your to 'hurry up' - get an 'explanation' in writing or claim that you 'don't understand'. At this point, if a manager is trying to get you to work outside of WAD principles, fire off a letter to HR, and casually mention that you don't want to be video recorded doing something to meet a SPH goal which may 'hurt the good name of FedEx should it get recorded'.

You'll be better protected than a female employee making an accusation of sexual harassment at this point....

bbsam

Staff member
Just like Ground. The bar gets lower every day.

But those people paid a premium to have those boxes handled professionally! And she gets paid alot more than those Ground parolees! There's no excuse...unless we're all Ground now.

DontThrowPackages

let's face it, the incoming trend of employees in all of the opcos is nothing to take pride in these days...nobody of any quality wants anything to do with FedEx - period. That's what they've asked for and that's what they're receiving - en masse. How do ya like it now, Freddie? ... good stuff eh? Proud of your offspring now, isn't ya? haha!

I was about to add, there was a time when one could tell the ground guys from the Express guys. This is no more. We have more than one guy with large hoop ear lobe rings and almost every young new hirer has Tats....some more than others. Nobody tucks their shirt tails in anymore either. We all look(me included) look like we ordered our shirts from CHolos R Us. Shirt tails are so low they almost covers the PPad holster LOL. I guess its the style now.

Ricochet1a

But those people paid a premium to have those boxes handled professionally! And she gets paid alot more than those Ground parolees! There's no excuse...unless we're all Ground now.

No, what everyone seems to miss, is that you are all FEDEX now. We all know the distinctions between the opcos, but to the public, it is all one big happy family.

That apology video actually was more telling than a mere apology for a single employee's actions. It demonstrates without a doubt, that FedEx knows that they are viewed (their brand) as a UNIFIED product. That video could've been of a Custom Critical contractor tossing stuff around or it could've been of an Office employee playing frisbee with packages in the back of the store - it is ALL FedEx to the outside now (corporate management has been aiming for this for years... everyone knows it but they don't really want to admit it to those in Express).

For the Express people, this is difficult to fathom. They are now (I've been harping on this issue for years), no longer 'special'; they are 'FedEx' just as much as the Ground guy that is done up in tattoos sporting an orange colored mohawk. The differences between the operating companies is a 'distinction without a difference' at this point in time - at least to the public. In the end, that is all that really matters to FedEx. (Keep the distinction for labor law purposes, but to the public, it is all ONE now...., this is the MOST important thing an Express employee needs to realize at this point).

Since the distinction between the opcos is no longer relevant (it hasn't been for a few years now), the Express people need to realize that their 'special status' no longer exists. Since that status no longer exists - there is NO REASON for FedEx to maintain the disparity in compensation between the different opcos. And I think the Express people are starting to realize, that the difference in compensation between themselves and Ground is rapidly diminishing. THIS ISN'T ACCIDENTAL.

It is a race to the bottom right now. The only thing that is slowing things for FedEx are the 'legacy' wage employees who could decide to get some union cards and try to stop things.

I think for the Express wage employee, if they can grasp the reality of what happened, they may have that 'learning moment' in which they realize they are no longer "Express"; they are merely part of a larger FedEx. Once that notion sinks in, there is going to be a lot of very angry and/or depressed Express wage employees. It is what I've been writing about for well over 3 years now...

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
let's face it, the incoming trend of employees in all of the opcos is nothing to take pride in these days...nobody of any quality wants anything to do with FedEx - period. That's what they've asked for and that's what they're receiving - en masse. How do ya like it now, Freddie? ... good stuff eh? Proud of your offspring now, isn't ya? haha!

They actually hired a guy at my station with brain damage.... No joke. They had to pull him off the route and are now trying to decide what to do with him. I'm sure Legal in Memphis is furiously working to come up with a way to fire him and FedEx not get sued.

overflowed

They actually hired a guy at my station with brain damage.... No joke. They had to pull him off the route and are now trying to decide what to do with him. I'm sure Legal in Memphis is furiously working to come up with a way to fire him and FedEx not get sued.
Wow, what is wrong with him. I mean explain a little more. Is he like mentally challenged?

bbsam

Staff member
"We're all Ground now," has a certain sting to some who continue to hold a rather high opinion of themselves. I like it.

To R1a's point, yes, we are all FDX now.