Funny Helper Stories

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
A few years back I had a 63 year old man as a helper. One of the best helpers I've ever had. He was a retired carpenter from up north still in excellent shape. During the hectic rush of our deliveries, he had stopped a couple of misdeliveres by being aware of the address on the package and with me pointing to the where it was to be delivered. I had this one stop of 15 packages all over 70lbs, to the second floor. 25 minutes later when we got back to the truck, I looked at the diad and yelled "damn, we're at the wrong house!" The look on his a face was priceless, even though we are at the right house.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
....looks like a good DR from here. And who hasn't flipped off the camera of a qvc queen, or amazon or Macy's loving house.

I've probably done worse a time or two
He threw it. I will toss a bag with a shirt in it on a porch but not a big box like that.

Why on earth would you flip off a camera so there is evidence of you doing that? I like my qvc queens. The bags and boxes are usually light.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He threw it. I will toss a bag with a shirt in it on a porch but not a big box like that.

Why on earth would you flip off a camera so there is evidence of you doing that? I like my qvc queens. The bags and boxes are usually light.

As I said, the move to feeders was the best for all involved.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
My daughter in law was my helper last peak. It was dark and she had a flashlight. I could see that she was a little apprehensive walking away from the truck towards the house.
"Is that a wolf?" She hollers at me
All we could see was a set of large yellow eyes and they quite literally seemed to be stalking her. She stopped right in mid step as the large dog crept closer. It never made a sound.
The instant that I got out of the truck and spoke to the dog, it started wagging its tail and it's demeanor became friendly. Apparently did not like females.
We still laugh about how scared she was and she is a dog lover. But that dog creeped her out.

Sent using BrownCafe App

MaceFremonti

Last Monday of peak a few days before Christmas I go to punch in and there are literally 30 driver followups for two addresses that my helper has been doing all of peak. These two addresses are high rise apartment buildings on each end of a city block. In between are a few resis, offices, and an international student dorm. One address is 1800 and the other 1830.

I had been dropping him off with a full double strapped handcart and had him walking the street while I did the three surrounding blocks. Then I would pick him up at the other end of the block when I came up to that intersection. Standard operating procedure for a tight, heavy, downtown route.

We were having meet points for the NDAs later in the day so I decided to knock the DFUs out first thing before I even picked my helper up. Both buildings' entrances are secured with access codes and are approved driver release as long as the packages are left at the apartments.

As soon as I entered 1800 and turned the corner to the elevators I understood why I had so many DFUs. Next to the mailboxes in the far corner of the lobby was a huge pile of UPS packages.....ALL addressed to 1830!

@$!#/\&*()!!!!!

I drove down to 1830 expecting to find the same thing....only to find nothing. I went to the super's office, whom I had known for years. She told me she hasn't seen UPS in the building for weeks and thought I had taken the Christmas season off.

@$$!#//\&**)//!!!!!!

I thought for a second and walked across the street to the student dorm. They had an area where they kept all the packages for students that had returned home, left the dorm, or could not identify. This room was always packed all year long as packages coming drom overseas were usually unlegible or hard to read.

I opened the door and soon knew where a month's worth of packages for 1830 had disappeared to.....

I immediately called my helper and informed him he was starting early that day and to make sure he ate his Wheaties.

All I had him do that day was retrieve and correctly deliver all of his misdeliveries. I dropped all my pick up pieces off that night with the driver next to me and made the helper go and do all the driver followups that night once most people were home.

Needless to say but there were no more misdeliveries from my helper the rest of peak and ALL the DFUs ended up positive.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Sarcasm really doesn't convey over the interwebs. Smh. Besides, it was from Zappos, so it's shoes. You'd throw a shirt, but a box of shoes is off limits?? It's not like he chucked Aunt Doreen's antique dishes. Shoes are fair game for being thrown.

To be honest, I don't really care about Aunt Doreen's dishes, either

upschuck

Not really. Major accounts such as Amazon, Macy's, Qvc, Hsn, and the like are paying me. Aunt Doreen's shipping charges wouldn't cover one hour of overtime
We make more money off Aunt Doreen's dishes than we do off of a box from Amazon. If Amazon shipped those dishes, we'd make maybe 1/2 of what Aunt Doreen paid.

rkctkc

During my first peak as a full time driver I met my helper out on road. As he walked up to the package car I got out and said "I was told to bring this truck out to meet my driver. Is that you?" he looked confused and told me he was a helper. I said "Well hell, I don't even have a drivers licence you should probably drive." I've never seen anyone so scared in my entire life.

I wish I was still in package just so I could do this to my next helper. That is funny right there

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Had a PM air driver as a helper one year. This guy walked so slow, I know a turtle would beat him. I told him he needed to pick up the pace. The second stop he did not walk any faster. Told him again. The third stop, no better. He just strolled from the truck toward the house.

Before he got to the front door of the house, I left. Got to my next stop and sent a message to the center where they could pick this guy up at.

UPSGUY72

Fired my helper last year after he wouldn't get off his cell phone than got attitude about when I called the center and had some talk to him about it. Left him 10 miles from his car in another town and thought that the oms clerk understood that I was getting rid of him either she misunderstood or just didn't give a rats :censored2: after talking to him. He eventually called someone for a ride back to his car. Then he called in a complaint and said I hit him...

Fired my helper last year after he wouldn't get off his cell phone than got attitude about when I called the center and had some talk to him about it. Left him 10 miles from his car in another town and thought that the oms clerk understood that I was getting rid of him either she misunderstood or just didn't give a rats :censored2: after talking to him. He eventually called someone for a ride back to his car. Then he called in a complaint and said I hit him...
Hope you hit him,good!

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Had a PM air driver as a helper one year. This guy walked so slow, I know a turtle would beat him. I told him he needed to pick up the pace. The second stop he did not walk any faster. Told him again. The third stop, no better. He just strolled from the truck toward the house.

Before he got to the front door of the house, I left. Got to my next stop and sent a message to the center where they could pick this guy up at.
He was giving his version of a fair days work for a fair days pay. You have no right to "fire" him. You should be kicked out of your local for doing this crap