Funny Helper Stories

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
I know that. But it's no different then management telling the drivers they're babysitting to hurry up.

If I were the air driver I'd be paid for the rest of the day he worked, and for evey day I'm not working until a replacement will take me. Along with a complaint to my local and the company

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Any driver that disposes of their helper before their allowed time is up (unless empty) should be fired for dishonesty. You were given help, and you need to use it. Disposing of that helper makes your day longer and your paycheck bigger.

Good luck at the hearing --- your local isn't going to argue the helper was moving to slow.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Any driver that disposes of their helper before their allowed time is up (unless empty) should be fired for dishonesty. You were given help, and you need to use it. Disposing of that helper makes your day longer and your paycheck bigger.

Good luck at the hearing --- your local isn't going to argue the helper was moving to slow.

Losing the helper actually shortened my day----that's how slow he was.

aiian

We've been told many times that if a helper isn't "helping" the cause then feel free to drop him/her off and have them call for further instruction.

I'll be damned if I'm going to drag some bum around town all day.

aiian

I dropped a guy off at an apt complex once only to find him in the back of a squad car when I returned.

It seems a nosy old lady called in a black man in a UPS uniform stealing packages from her community.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
He was giving his version of a fair days work for a fair days pay. You have no right to "fire" him. You should be kicked out of your local for doing this crap
Seriously, are all your posts going to be like this from now on? We have every right to manage our car and what happens on it including the helper. We decide how long we work the helper and if a new helper is assigned. A helper is not a seniority employee (with the exception of the occasional preloader working extra hours). They are temporary disposable help and as such do not have the protection of the contract for performance purposes. Plain and simple if a driver's helper does not sufficiently help the driver the driver can opt to not work them.

For me personally if you are my helper and work hard and have a good attitude, I'll keep you even if you're not an all star. If you're a slacker and show you don't care, I'll have you replaced the following day. If you have a poor attitude, don't comply with my requests, work unsafely or disrespect me I'll blow a u-turn faster than you can say oops and bring you back to your car (and I have).

TooTechie

Geek in Brown

And...congratulations. With that post you've joined the elite group of you ain't even know, loyal teamster and integrity on my very exclusive and short ignore list. You're completely irrational and an attention seeking troll trying to lure BC members into fruitless confrontations. I'm done with you.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Seriously, are all your posts going to be like this from now on? We have every right to manage our car and what happens on it including the helper. We decide how long we work the helper and if a new helper is assigned. A helper is not a seniority employee (with the exception of the occasional preloader working extra hours). They are temporary disposable help and as such do not have the protection of the contract for performance purposes. Plain and simple if a driver's helper does not sufficiently help the driver the driver can opt to not work them.

For me personally if you are my helper and work hard and have a good attitude, I'll keep you even if you're not an all star. If you're a slacker and show you don't care, I'll have you replaced the following day. If you have a poor attitude, don't comply with my requests, work unsafely or disrespect me I'll blow a u-turn faster than you can say oops and bring you back to your car (and I have).
The helper coordinator always wants feedback whether the helper is suitable and productive, we have the say so to use him or her.