Funny story... I guess

laffter

I'm going to tell a story that I, at least, find funny. It shows the lunacy that goes down at UPS on a daily basis.

On Monday I was asked if I could help a driver on his route. This part will be relevant later, but this driver sup told me I could work as many hours as I wanted.

This driver started driving last Summer, and this was his first peak. During peak, he ran a residential split route following by a letter run. On Monday, he was thrown on the full route, cold. It had just under 200 stops, including 15 NDA stops and some pickups. And guess what- he still had his letter run around 6pm. From the very beginning, the driver was telling his sups that he did not know the area, and would not be able to finish. He was told it was the same stuff he had already been doing and that he'll be alright. The same stuff? He knows a partial residential area of the route, not the whole thing. Moving on...

I meet up with him around 1pm. He tells me that he didn't leave the building until 9:45 (8:40 start time- preload went down super late that morning), and didn't deliver his last NDA until after 11. We start hitting resi's, then do pickups, and by about 6, still have ~65 stops left. Now, there's not a whole lot I could help with on a letter run, so this is where the sup's words come in. He told me I could work as many hours as I want. So I stay on with him, with the idea that we'd go back and continue resi's after the drop box pickups.

On his letter run, he has a pickup at a UPS store. This is supposed to be a quick stop. Another driver is supposed to do the main pickup earlier in the day, and this guy is supposed to grab the new stuff right before the store closes. We show up and the whole back room is packed- keep in mind that we're in a 700(?). Apparently, the driver of that route did not come in that day, and that same sup I spoke to in the morning (the same one who put this driver on the route), told the guy covering it that he didn't have to make the pickup. In fact, not only did that guy not make the pickup, he dropped off his own pickup pieces at the store. We load up the car, and now it's bricked out floor to ceiling, about three feet from the bulkhead door. And we still have stops on there... quite a few stops that we can't get to now. Oh well, someone at the building will figure out how to fix this mess, right? So we move on. The driver goes to start the car- everything lights up, but it won't start. It just clicks once. Fast forward to a while later, he gets a call from a mechanic who gives him the code to the keybox. He tries the key- it starts. It's gotta be nearing 7pm now. We're way behind.

We meet up with a driver at one of the pickup points to give him half of our stops. But, we can hardly get to any of them. We start pulling off everything between the sequence range that he's giving him. I'm having to literally climb up onto the mound of pickups and the top shelves, to find stuff. I don't know how long we spent there trying to find everything, but felt like it could have been a half hour. It's around 8pm now and the driver is doubting that he can make it back to the building in time to drop off his NDA pickups. At some point during this, he does get a call from someone at the building telling him that they gave away the last 5 stops on his letter run, so that helped a little.

We move on with the pickups. It's really late now. He realizes there's no way he's going to make it. He calls the building and is advised to drive to the airport if he cannot make it back in by 8:45. So, we drive to the airport, drop off the NDA pickups (70+) and go back to the building. Someone else was going to grab the rest of the stops at the building, but by now it's probably 9:30 and way too late to go back out to where the route is. He's advised to sheet up any undelivered stops as EC (roads are a little icy).

Here's the kicker... when we pulled in, the guy who grabbed some of our stops earlier was already back. We're like, wtf? How could he get off so many stops that quickly? Turns out, a few deliveries in, his DIAD died.

And that's the story of how 60+ stops didn't get delivered.

We unload the ground pickups, find a few more hidden NDA's, and sheet everything up as EC.

What a night. We leave the building after 10pm and he drives me out to my car, which is still parked on-route. To my surprise, he tips me a twenty. I go home and crash. Preload started at 2:20 the following morning. I was showing up at 1 to re-scan undelivered stuff.

The end.

nocturnalbuck

why was 930 too late to peel off <30 resi? deliver by midnight. didnt u have to get to your car anyway out there? its not his job to personally give you a ride.

MethodsMan

I got a more funny story:

I had a driver with more seniority bump me off a route, then was complaining there was too many stops on said route and then I get a message as I was heading back to the building (answered it when I got back to the building since I was on the freeway) that the driver needed help and wanted me to go take stops off him.

True story.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I'm going to tell a story that I, at least, find funny. It shows the lunacy that goes down at UPS on a daily basis.

On Monday I was asked if I could help a driver on his route. This part will be relevant later, but this driver sup told me I could work as many hours as I wanted.

This driver started driving last Summer, and this was his first peak. During peak, he ran a residential split route following by a letter run. On Monday, he was thrown on the full route, cold. It had just under 200 stops, including 15 NDA stops and some pickups. And guess what- he still had his letter run around 6pm. From the very beginning, the driver was telling his sups that he did not know the area, and would not be able to finish. He was told it was the same stuff he had already been doing and that he'll be alright. The same stuff? He knows a partial residential area of the route, not the whole thing. Moving on...

I meet up with him around 1pm. He tells me that he didn't leave the building until 9:45 (8:40 start time- preload went down super late that morning), and didn't deliver his last NDA until after 11. We start hitting resi's, then do pickups, and by about 6, still have ~65 stops left. Now, there's not a whole lot I could help with on a letter run, so this is where the sup's words come in. He told me I could work as many hours as I want. So I stay on with him, with the idea that we'd go back and continue resi's after the drop box pickups.

On his letter run, he has a pickup at a UPS store. This is supposed to be a quick stop. Another driver is supposed to do the main pickup earlier in the day, and this guy is supposed to grab the new stuff right before the store closes. We show up and the whole back room is packed- keep in mind that we're in a 700(?). Apparently, the driver of that route did not come in that day, and that same sup I spoke to in the morning (the same one who put this driver on the route), told the guy covering it that he didn't have to make the pickup. In fact, not only did that guy not make the pickup, he dropped off his own pickup pieces at the store. We load up the car, and now it's bricked out floor to ceiling, about three feet from the bulkhead door. And we still have stops on there... quite a few stops that we can't get to now. Oh well, someone at the building will figure out how to fix this mess, right? So we move on. The driver goes to start the car- everything lights up, but it won't start. It just clicks once. Fast forward to a while later, he gets a call from a mechanic who gives him the code to the keybox. He tries the key- it starts. It's gotta be nearing 7pm now. We're way behind.

We meet up with a driver at one of the pickup points to give him half of our stops. But, we can hardly get to any of them. We start pulling off everything between the sequence range that he's giving him. I'm having to literally climb up onto the mound of pickups and the top shelves, to find stuff. I don't know how long we spent there trying to find everything, but felt like it could have been a half hour. It's around 8pm now and the driver is doubting that he can make it back to the building in time to drop off his NDA pickups. At some point during this, he does get a call from someone at the building telling him that they gave away the last 5 stops on his letter run, so that helped a little.

We move on with the pickups. It's really late now. He realizes there's no way he's going to make it. He calls the building and is advised to drive to the airport if he cannot make it back in by 8:45. So, we drive to the airport, drop off the NDA pickups (70+) and go back to the building. Someone else was going to grab the rest of the stops at the building, but by now it's probably 9:30 and way too late to go back out to where the route is. He's advised to sheet up any undelivered stops as EC (roads are a little icy).

Here's the kicker... when we pulled in, the guy who grabbed some of our stops earlier was already back. We're like, wtf? How could he get off so many stops that quickly? Turns out, a few deliveries in, his DIAD died.

And that's the story of how 60+ stops didn't get delivered.

We unload the ground pickups, find a few more hidden NDA's, and sheet everything up as EC.

What a night. We leave the building after 10pm and he drives me out to my car, which is still parked on-route. To my surprise, he tips me a twenty. I go home and crash. Preload started at 2:20 the following morning. I was showing up at 1 to re-scan undelivered stuff.

The end.

Late air.
Missed stops.
Communication mixup
Containment issues
Total failure to plan
Weather issues
Mechanical failures
Falsification of records in order to prevent service failures from showing on the report

The truly remarkable part of your story...is that it so typical. The only thing you left out is the part where the supervisor comes to the driver the next day and chews him out for being overallowed or failing to follow ORION by 85%.

laffter

So just to clarify--You're a preloader who was acting as a driver helper?

Correct

The truly remarkable part of your story...is that it so typical. The only thing you left out is the part where the supervisor comes to the driver the next day and chews him out for being overallowed or failing to follow ORION by 85%.

Luckily, that didn't happen. In fact, that supervisor was lucky he didn't get a boot up his ass the following morning.

I helped on a mall route all of peak. The day after the event described above, this sup calls the driver of this mall route to tell him that he's heavy and he's getting a helper. Uh, we had 138 stops, and the mall was light. Really? A week ago they wouldn't give him a helper on a super heavy day and he was out 'till 10:30pm.

This guy really is a joke.

laffter

why was 930 too late to peel off <30 resi? deliver by midnight. didnt u have to get to your car anyway out there? its not his job to personally give you a ride.

Start time was 8:40... and I think you guys can't work more than 14 hours, right? That would mean he'd have to be back in the building by 10:40. He doesn't know the neighborhoods, and now he has to run them off in the dark very quickly? Not going to happen.

Oh, another funny thing I discovered the following morning. So I showed up to preload about an hour early to scan stuff that was left on trucks. I scanned my belt, so I dealt with both batches of stuff that was EC'd. Then I walked into the truck that's loaded for the route that's supposed to pick up at that UPS store. It had tons of undelivered stuff on it. I finally understood what happened. When that guy got to the UPS store, he had way too many stops left and didn't want a crap ton of pickups in his truck. He wasn't even able to finish.

There were also undelivered stops on a resi route that I personally load. Two full sections. I'm not even sure what happened there...

Let's just say it took me well over an hour to re-scan everything on that belt.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

laffter, you have to have at least 10 hours off between shifts, so there is no way that you punched out at 10pm only to turn around and punch back in at 2:20am the following day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

HOS only apply to drivers of commercial vehicles. Any arbitrary limit placed on a helper/preloader was at the discretion of your Management team.

Inside workers must also abide by the hours of service criteria.

There is no way an inside employee can punch out at 10pm (or later) and be back on the job at 2:20am.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder

laffter

There is no way an inside employee can punch out at 10pm (or later) and be back on the job at 2:20am.

Actually, it was 1:00am.

01/06
2:00 - 9:31 (P)
13:00 - 22:00 (H)
01/07
1:09 - 8:53 (P)
13:37 - 19:37 (H)
01/08
2:20 - 8:33 (P)
12:30 - 15:00 (H)
17:05 - 21:13 (T)

Those were my hours Mon-Wed. I don't know what to say other than that's what I worked and that's what I'll be paid for.

Last peak I even worked an 18-hour day. I worked preload and then helped four different drivers for most of the day, until 10:30pm.

This is my longest day from this peak:

12/20
00:35 - 9:39 (P)
13:00 - 20:54 (H)

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Inside employees who do not drive are not bound by the 14 hour rule, regardless of what management might say to the contrary.

Nimnim

The Nim
Inside employees who do not drive are not bound by the 14 hour rule, regardless of what management might say to the contrary.

That may be true, but I heard enough complaints from inside employees trying to work doubles and driver help that were told they couldn't driver help because they'd be working too many hours. Whether or not it's an official DOT regulation or management thinks it is I'm surprised there wasn't a post about how their shift management said they couldn't do that anymore.

AGKLM

There are plenty of P/T insiders in my building who work around 70 hours (give or take) during peak. Preload and Driver Helper.

laffter

If management is limiting hours for non-driver part timers in some buildings/regions, then it more likely has to do with reducing overtime hours, not due to some regulation.