Future looking bad for Pt'ers?

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
You people should take up residence with the other fabricaters of untruths who inhabit our hubs lunch room. To quote George Carlin " it is all BS and it's bad for you " It is fun to speculate but do not write that BS here like it is fact. Wait until negotiations happen then give us something factual. I will count in your report !

ftballer67

Yeah I just don't see UPS taking away part time benefits, even from new hires. There would literally be no labor force for them at that point unless they started hiring illegal aliens, and even illegals make more money working in construction or a restaurant than UPS pays without benefits.

The alarmists just need to stop. A lot of the same BS was spewed before the last contract about how benefits would be taken away or UPS would force us to pay a large portion of our insurance premium, none of which happened.

Mr Shifter

Didn't health care reform make it about impossible for UPS to have an uninsured workforce? I think after 2013 sadly there will be a two tired system or at least a 401k option instead of a defined pension plan for new incoming employees.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You people should take up residence with the other fabricaters of untruths who inhabit our hubs lunch room. To quote George Carlin " it is all BS and it's bad for you " It is fun to speculate but do not write that BS here like it is fact. Wait until negotiations happen then give us something factual. I will count in your report !
Do u have any idea what just my opinion means?

rod

Retired 22 years
The "future" has been bad for part-timers for a long time. Until the day part timers really unite, attend Union meetings, make their demands known and VOTE nothing will change. Any one can come on the Brown Cafe and piss and moan about how they are treated but don't expect things to change just because PT Joe Smuck cries on an intenet site. After the next contract is ratified is too late to cry about how the part-timers were treated. The old "squeeky wheel" train of though does work.

steward71

I have to agree with upstate. look ahead of what is coming down the road. I don't really care if you agree with me or not. You can go on with your heads up your a** or not. The fact is that we have a new health care law that I bet no one here has read and only heard what is stated in the news. The fact is I have read the whole thing and it sucks. It took about 4 months. So here is my word. The law in 2018 will hit both full time and part timers like a brick. I asked HR rep and he stated that UPS pays any where from 13500 to 14000 a year for part time health care and I called my plan to ask what is the cost for the whole year and the rep was telling the truth. Now we have health care plan that is going to be taxed at 40%, times by 13500=5400/12=480 dollors of tax a month to our health plan. Ask yourself this is UPS going to pay this amount for which is= to 18900 a year for each part timer. This is the list price for 2011 and with rates going up every year the price for insurance is going to go up much higher. So who will pay UPS or the employee? Who will pay? I don't know of any Part timers who can afford a type of payment like this. If you really think UPS will pay this because they have big hearts? They will either get rid of the health care plan or reduce benfits to a lower paying policy or we will pay for some of this. Now lets see the contract says our contract can not over ride local, state or federal law. If that is the case then the health care law is federal law so they can drop it with not breaking the contract without breaking the law. Now teamsters in my area pay for some if not all the full timers health care plans so yes full timers you could find yourself facing the same issue. Now lets us review, Teamsters pushed for this law to be passed. Do you really think that teasmters will pay a 40% tax for you. Lets us take the time to look at the plain fact unions pension funds are under funded. When they can use the money to place into the pension plans. Meaning they could take the money they would have paid for the health care and place it into the under funded pension plans. Teamsters pushed for a national health care plan to be run to by the gov. Do you really think the company and Teamsters will continue to pay for something when they can say sorry but the law allows both of us to do this and you can go to the exchanges now or the gov. run plan. UPS will agree to pay part timers a higher pay rate. Lets face it half of the part timers can now be on mom and dads plan until 26. There are so many factors coming down the road from this over rated law, wake up and see the Sh** coming. For a long time now people in this country have been sleeping at the wheel and not paying much attention to what our union is doing or our goverment. If you think the teamsters will not place you on the back burner to keep the union alive then I feel sorry for you. All I can say is really think about how this all linked and you will see what is coming. I could be wrong and will say so I'm but I have a feeling I'm not. I all comes to back to math and math and money and numbers go hand and hand with each other. Just look at the math it adds up to simple things. UPSTATE most of the time I don't like your post but you are on to something here. Just what I feel and think again I don't care if you agree or not. You guys have a good day and I don't say this very much but God bless you and all of us and whatever God you wordship, I have a feeling we are all going to have to believe in something before and after the sh** stop rolling.

nystripe96

If that's the case, at least its 2018 & not 2013. That being said, nobody knows what the economic climate will be in 2018 anyway. I'm not going to fret about something 6 years down the road.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I have to agree with upstate. look ahead of what is coming down the road. I don't really care if you agree with me or not. You can go on with your heads up your a** or not. The fact is that we have a new health care law that I bet no one here has read and only heard what is stated in the news. The fact is I have read the whole thing and it sucks. It took about 4 months. So here is my word. The law in 2018 will hit both full time and part timers like a brick. I asked HR rep and he stated that UPS pays any where from 13500 to 14000 a year for part time health care and I called my plan to ask what is the cost for the whole year and the rep was telling the truth. Now we have health care plan that is going to be taxed at 40%, times by 13500=5400/12=480 dollars of tax a month to our health plan. Ask yourself this is UPS going to pay this amount for which is= to 18900 a year for each part timer. This is the list price for 2011 and with rates going up every year the price for insurance is going to go up much higher. So who will pay UPS or the employee? Who will pay? I don't know of any Part timers who can afford a type of payment like this. If you really think UPS will pay this because they have big hearts? They will either get rid of the health care plan or reduce benefits to a lower paying policy or we will pay for some of this. Now lets see the contract says our contract can not over ride local, state or federal law. If that is the case then the health care law is federal law so they can drop it with not breaking the contract without breaking the law. Now teamsters in my area pay for some if not all the full timers health care plans so yes full timers you could find yourself facing the same issue. Now lets us review, Teamsters pushed for this law to be passed. Do you really think that teamsters will pay a 40% tax for you. Lets us take the time to look at the plain fact unions pension funds are under funded. When they can use the money to place into the pension plans. Meaning they could take the money they would have paid for the health care and place it into the under funded pension plans. Teamsters pushed for a national health care plan to be run to by the gov. Do you really think the company and Teamsters will continue to pay for something when they can say sorry but the law allows both of us to do this and you can go to the exchanges now or the gov. run plan. UPS will agree to pay part timers a higher pay rate. Lets face it half of the part timers can now be on mom and dads plan until 26. There are so many factors coming down the road from this over rated law, wake up and see the Sh** coming. For a long time now people in this country have been sleeping at the wheel and not paying much attention to what our union is doing or our government. If you think the teamsters will not place you on the back burner to keep the union alive then I feel sorry for you. All I can say is really think about how this all linked and you will see what is coming. I could be wrong and will say so I'm but I have a feeling I'm not. I all comes to back to math and math and money and numbers go hand and hand with each other. Just look at the math it adds up to simple things. UPSTATE most of the time I don't like your post but you are on to something here. Just what I feel and think again I don't care if you agree or not. You guys have a good day and I don't say this very much but God bless you and all of us and whatever God you worship, I have a feeling we are all going to have to believe in something before and after the sh** stop rolling.

That tax rate is only for "Cadillac" health plans. Our plans are below the threshold of the Cadillac category.

steward71

That tax rate is only for "Cadillac" health plans. Our plans are below the threshold of the Cadillac category.

no we have a this type of plan in my area i have a 10 dollor co-pay with a 100% pay after that look at the law and read the whole part covering health care, i have asked HR and BA and Blue Cross, they have all stated most if not all hourly employees at UPS are in this type of plans. why do you think after the plans was passed then Hoffa and all of the union heads asked the obama team to reduce this or delay the law until 2018.

steward71

If that's the case, at least its 2018 & not 2013. That being said, nobody knows what the economic climate will be in 2018 anyway. I'm not going to fret about something 6 years down the road.
that is what is wrong with the union now it is people like you who i'm not going to worry well good luck with that. look at what the union has to so now in new york they have take all of your raises or part them to make sure the pension is not under funded. the near future your wage increase going into the pension is not even going help fill the piss can without taking it from somewhere else. if we did not worry about what is ahead then why do you even attend or even belong to the union or even vote on a contract.