Future looking bad for Pt'ers?

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Do u have any idea what just my opinion means?

Not much if your not involved in the negotiations. Or maybe IMO means you have a crystal ball. In all seriousness people do not pay attention to IMO and these whisperings down the lane take on a life of there own which lead to nowhere and amount to nothing.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Never liked the benefits. Wish there was an option out of it. They always say we get them for working here, pretty much free, as PTers. But I always look at the stub and see I'm paying for them anyways. The money back, not worth losing them. And they are there for some type of emergency. It would be nice to have the option not to have them and get a greater sum each week.

I feel kind've snobish to say that, being that many Americans across the country cant afford coverage to being with. I do say working here makes one feel quite spoiled at times.

The benefits at UPS as negotiated by the IBT are second to none. Before I came to UPS in '98 I was paying $700.00 a month for my family at my full time job.I have had operations,xrays,MRI's,bloodwork,eyeglasses,dental work ,and prescriptions and paid next to nothing.Please keep your extra $$ in the paycheck I will take the benefits. All this for 16 to 20 hours a week.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
The benefits at UPS as negotiated by the IBT are second to none. Before I came to UPS in '98 I was paying $700.00 a month for my family at my full time job.I have had operations,xrays,MRI's,bloodwork,eyeglasses,dental work ,and prescriptions and paid next to nothing.Please keep your extra $$ in the paycheck I will take the benefits. All this for 16 to 20 hours a week.

I would only ask if, for a few years, I could get a better pay. Then again, who knows what could happen at anytime. I had a friend I was discussing this with, he told me " once you do away with them, will be the time you actually need them " how true.

curiousbrain

I would only ask if, for a few years, I could get a better pay. Then again, who knows what could happen at anytime. I had a friend I was discussing this with, he told me " once you do away with them, will be the time you actually need them " how true.

Offer an opt-out provision; even the few who do opt-out will save UPS money. So, both sides get what they want - those who don't want it won't have a health plan, and UPS will save a few bucks.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Offer an opt-out provision; even the few who do opt-out will save UPS money. So, both sides get what they want - those who don't want it won't have a health plan, and UPS will save a few bucks.

I have been saying this for years, especially for part timers still eligible for coverage under their parents' plan.

ftballer67

Maybe I'm oversimplifying this but why couldn't the IBT just negotiate the benefit package to come in under the "cadillac" threshold and make the difference up in what was lost from the old benefit plan in wage increases. Thus keeping overall compensation the same for employees but avoiding the tax on "cadillac" plans?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Oh I know all about chemo. My gf had a month supply of the pill type chemo. It was 10,000 just that months worth. I'm thankful that I'm not married to her... that may seem rather harsh. But she got the cover from the state. If I was married to her, I would've had to front everything. Under UPS plan, it wouldve cost 10$ a visit, pills and so on. Yet, I dont know if UPS wouldve covered that chemo, or radiation and so forth. It would've added up so quickly.

Marrige is a curse sometimes. Life deals you a bad hand at times.
It's got nothing to do with marriage........a drunk driver hits you and you need a lifetime of care.......you are not invincible.

As far as chemo......at least when you have insurance, they bargain the cost down and then the ins. does pay for it.

Just be thankful you have the coverage.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
It's got nothing to do with marriage........a drunk driver hits you and you need a lifetime of care.......you are not invincible.

As far as chemo......at least when you have insurance, they bargain the cost down and then the ins. does pay for it.

Just be thankful you have the coverage.

I'm thankful for the 10 drivers I see driving at 3:50am... And in the morning 9 - 10Am the blockage is always on the other side of the flow.

No.. marrige laws are really crazy. If I was married to her, I would be taken at 100% of all cost and responsibilities. Its staten by state laws, keep in mind.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I'm thankful for the 10 drivers I see driving at 3:50am... And in the morning 9 - 10Am the blockage is always on the other side of the flow.

No.. marrige laws are really crazy. If I was married to her, I would be taken at 100% of all cost and responsibilities. Its staten by state laws, keep in mind.

Trust me, you are not the marrying kind !!

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Just a thought If they offered an opt out and the thousands of invincible young part timers took it. What would it do to the premiums paid by the company for the rest of us ?

opie

Probably would have to offer some type of incentive to opt out being covered. And Obamacare could be repealed in the future. I think actually the Supreme Court will rule on this sometime this year.

Southwestern

Just a thought If they offered an opt out and the thousands of invincible young part timers took it. What would it do to the premiums paid by the company for the rest of us ?

Most P/T are covered by a plan administered by the company, not the union. UPS itself is fully self-insured -> it contracts companies to handle claims but all monies paid out come from the company itself. (UPS itself hears & determines final appeals.) I'll bet that few young employees take advantage of their benefits. I didn't use my benefits for the first 8 years I worked for UPS (I hired at 17). I was fortunate to remain healthy, nor am I one to see a doctor when I have a cold. And I visited a local community college for deal cleanings (free).

ups1990

I feel that UPS will always find a way of keeping its young part-timers. The lure of going full-time and making some coin is a big incentive for young people, particularly young men. Although the prospect of going driving isn't very good at the moment, the future does look bright.
By using my center as a comparison, it seems that starting around 2016 and for the next 10 to 15 years thereafter, many a drivers will call it quits. With today's current ups structure, you can't blame anyone for leaving using Peer 80. Those retiring will still be relatively young and can continue to work if they choose.

Part-timers will continue to be an integral part of operations and must be treated as such because this is where the future lies for the company and retires.

Southwestern

In my area, UPS has never appealed to young employees. When I reached my tenth anniversary, I was both one of the most senior employees and youngest employees (I was 27) in my facility. Beginning in 2008, when jobs became scarce, there was a youth injection but now that entry-level jobs are becoming more plentiful, few youth are hiring in. Nonetheless, as UPS is self-insured, offering an alternative such as system-wide tuition reimbursement, would likely be more costly. And the youngsters are pivotal in keeping costs down in areas where UPS forks over cash to the Teamsters to purchase plans.

From 2000-2005 (at least), turn over was very high -- both among PT and FT (I live in the heart of suburb sprawl, and they were adding routes frequently). In fact, we had a very large number of PT that, although employed with UPS for a number of years, actually worked for a temp agency earning higher wages in the short-term. Once again, turn over has been high... if UPS were to eliminate benefits, how attractive would these jobs be? Get up at 3AM, work 3 hours for $8.50 an hour, have immense pressure for productivity & perfection - while paying union dues.

UPS could keep benefits for new hires for many years, but become more creative: offer the same menu of plans as management & non-union (including the same premiums). Dilute benefits for current employees ($10 office visit goes to $20, which IS the national average, etc.) Incorporate lower-cost alternatives such as pharmacy-style clinics (Minute Clinic, etc.) and waive co-pays. Offer a level of reimbursement for OTC drugs -- if employees were able to medicine like (generic) Clariton for free, it'd discourage more costly office visits.

Just my two cents...

brown_trousers

I feel that UPS will always find a way of keeping its young part-timers. The lure of going full-time and making some coin is a big incentive for young people, particularly young men. Although the prospect of going driving isn't very good at the moment, the future does look bright.
By using my center as a comparison, it seems that starting around 2016 and for the next 10 to 15 years thereafter, many a drivers will call it quits. With today's current ups structure, you can't blame anyone for leaving using Peer 80. Those retiring will still be relatively young and can continue to work if they choose.

Part-timers will continue to be an integral part of operations and must be treated as such because this is where the future lies for the company and retires.

I dont think ups will ever have a hard time finding new part-time workers even if they cut benefits and such. in my 7 years here I have never seen a shortage of applicants touring through our building, hoping to get hired on. there are just WAY too many kids looking for first jobs out there.

and the strange thing is that these kids are overwhelmingly excited to be making just 8.50 an hour and they dont even care about the health benefits.