Future of UPS

Browndriver5

Nope. Sinking ship is correct. The thing about slow leaks is they tend to become VERY LARGE leaks very suddenly if not fixed. We were already handing FedEx volume on a silver platter before ORION. Just wait and see what happens once ORION is the normal thing. Torpedos away!

Yeah we are just giving it away but remain making more money...I wonder how that works

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
A person would have to work two jobs at $15 an hour. You can't rent a dump here for under $700 a month. There aren't many companies willing to pay a fair wage anymore. It's a sad state of affairs that this country has let itself get into.
And yet we have people on here saying burger flippers don't deserve $9 an hour.

They don't realize that when you are able to devalue 1 man's labor, you can theN devalue all men's labor.

Browndriver5

If the ship is big enough, it becomes an island.

I guess what ive learned most from this board in the past day is that according to the Fed Ex board they are a sinking ship and according to our board we are a sinking ship. I guess I'm going to enjoy the great job that I have and enjoy the ride

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We are not a sinking ship. You can not say a company who brings in 58 billion dollars a year is a sinking ship. We are still a very profitable company, we still hammer fed ex making almost 12 billion dollars more a year than they do...think about that for a minute. We are still growing just not at the pace of the 80's. Every company hits their peak, we will still be the leading shipping company 20 years from now its just changes will be made to ensure that

20 years from now small package will be just another opco within United Parcel Service, Inc.

box_beeyotch

The best thing you can do is be prepared in the event of such events happening. Have a back up plan. There's no use in worrying too much over it now. To me this has always been a job you have to take one day at a time, because you really can never tell exactly what is going to happen next.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The best thing you can do is be prepared in the event of such events happening. Have a back up plan. There's no use in worrying too much over it now. To me this has always been a job you have to take one day at a time, because you really can never tell exactly what is going to happen next.
99% of the people in this country don't work at UPS. They seem to be surviving.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/30/opinion/greene-two-occupations/index.html

"(CNN) -- If the trajectory of American daily life keeps heading in its current direction, the country may end up with only two dominant occupations:

-- Carrying stuff in boxes to people's houses.

-- And keeping a watchful eye on those same people so they don't hurt each other or steal things when they do leave their homes."
Not likely.

People will just print their good at home with a 3D printer.

Brownslave688

We are not a sinking ship. You can not say a company who brings in 58 billion dollars a year is a sinking ship. We are still a very profitable company, we still hammer fed ex making almost 12 billion dollars more a year than they do...think about that for a minute. We are still growing just not at the pace of the 80's. Every company hits their peak, we will still be the leading shipping company 20 years from now its just changes will be made to ensure that
Uh we haven't ever made 12 billion dollars in a year.

Griff

The reason the union is shrinking is because the American dream is no more and that's something that has a long way to go to get back to where it was when my parents were growing up. The majority of young adults my age have no desire to put in work for something they want and its sad, the other problem I have is there are too many employees that are supported by the union who shouldn't have jobs. I am a big fan of unions, but there are people at UPS who shouldn't be employed and I think that's where unions get a bad name

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/future-of-ups.361208/#ixzz3Wk2z3o8b

Why don't you get seniority before you start declaring whether or not someone is qualified to keep their job. There's a quantum leap of inside knowledge of what goes on inside this company between being a cover driver and having 10-15+ years behind the wheel.

Brownslave688

Why don't you get seniority before you start declaring whether or not someone is qualified to keep their job. There's a quantum leap of inside knowledge of what goes on inside this company between being a cover driver and having 10-15+ years behind the wheel.
I have almost 10 years in and I was just thinking today how I feel like a noob so often still.