FWD step vans.

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by gman042, Jan 9, 2014.

1. gman042

gman042 Been around the block a few times

It occurred to me as I was mucking around in 8" of new snow today that front wheel drive would be a plus. The rear wheel drive is outdated and inadequate. These new trucks are so light in the rear that getting traction is a losing battle in loose snow. With front wheel drive you have the weight of the vehicle that would assist in traction.
    Perhaps it is an engineering impossibility with weight of the trucks but it sure seems plausible to me.
  2. rod

rod retired and happy

But its harder to spin donuts with front wheel drive.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

We have some trucks that get around decent in the snow. Others are terrible.

The workhorse p57 man I can get out of about anything in those. The diesel p700 a dusting and it's tow truck time.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

Borrow a FWD van, load a ton of crap in the back, and see how well it gets around in the snow with the front wheels un-weighted.
  5. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

The front wheel drive transmission has not been made that would hold up to the abuse of a UPS delivery route for 200,000 miles. Front wheel drive transmissions have half the lifespan of rear wheel drive units, and cost 2 to 3 times as much to overhaul when they fail. A better way to gain traction would be for pkg cars in snow country to be equipped with locking rear differentials. That, plus good tires and chains, would be far better and more affordable than trying to design an entirely new transmission and drive train.
  6. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

RWD is better with anything with weight on tires. FWD is only better in small cars in lighter snows.
  7. gman042

Do it in reverse.....OH wait.....what was I thinkiing
  8. gman042

Yeah.....these limited slip diffs are the worst.
  9. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

And manual transmission is much better than automatics in the snow too.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Anybody remember the Dodge Caravan air cars back in the late 80's early 90's?
  11. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

Yes. I saw a new one at my building today.
  12. PT Car Washer

Was it brown?
  13. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

Yea. It's a brand new ups van.
  14. PT Car Washer

We have one Isuzu Reach van. Also called a Euro Van. Diesel rear wheel drive. Take a new gas 500 any day.
  15. Future

Future Well-Known Member

Old 800's where tanks...could drive through walls with them
  16. justcrankn

justcrankn New Member

One winter I had a unique P1000 with a full locker that could go anywhere. That truck is long gone.
  17. Old International

Old International Now driving a Sterling

How long do you think the CV joints would last under a package car drivers full throttle starts? Hard High rpm shifts? I knew a driver that dropped the clutch at 2000 rpm during a standing start......all the time....
  18. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

That sounds like how on car sups drive.
  19. rod

rod retired and happy

You ain't working fast enough if you don't get a little wheelie going on every start-up.
  20. bbsam

bbsam Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure any mechanic being honest would tell you clutch replacement is really a simple job. Actually dropping the transmission only takes about a half hour. That's no reason to abuse, but the fix is easy.