Gag the internet, another czar is coming

P

pickup

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07112009/postopinion/opedcolumnists/gag_the_internet__178749.htm

BHO is set to appoint another czar who will be going after internet bloggers.
Basically anyone who posts anything online that this czar thinks is a false statement will have to remove the posting. He thinks a fine of $15,000 is reasonable for failure to obey.

Baba, cheryl is gonna have to ban you and wkmac right off the bat if this bears fruit. Unless you got multiples of 15,000 dollars

P

pickup

1 plus 1 = 3. There! I posted a false statement. Come get me , you illuminati b-stards. How am I going to view my favorite website www.davidicke.com if this comes to pass?

wkmac

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07112009/postopinion/opedcolumnists/gag_the_internet__178749.htm

BHO is set to appoint another czar who will be going after internet bloggers.
Basically anyone who posts anything online that this czar thinks is a false statement will have to remove the posting. He thinks a fine of $15,000 is reasonable for failure to obey.

Took some of the red pill did ya? A little late to the party but better late than never!

Cass Sunstein was discussed in this capacity back in Jan.

There were also questions about Congressional rumblings related to the internet and the Fairness Doctrine.

One of the best ways to slow or even stop something is to just expose it to the light of day. Good job in doing that!

:thumbup1:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Baba, cheryl is gonna have to ban you and wkmac right off the bat if this bears fruit. Unless you got multiples of 15,000 dollars

I don't know how deep wkmac pockets are, so I would like to offer anyone the unique opportunity to donate to help pay the coming fines.

diesel96

Am I detecteing a double standard here amongst my conservative buds that The Patriot act, FISA, and wiretapping created by the Third Reich wing Bush Adm is fine and dandy, and never interupted us average Joe's privacy. But now, being that Obama, is creating the Internet Czar, isn't it a little late to be all up in arms crying foul....

A little less bias than Media Czar Rupert Murdock's "enquiring minds publication, The New York Post....

wkmac

Am I detecteing a double standard here amongst my conservative buds that The Patriot act, FISA, and wiretapping created by the Third Reich wing Bush Adm is fine and dandy, and never interupted us average Joe's privacy. But now, being that Obama, is creating the Internet Czar, isn't it a little late to be all up in arms crying foul....

A little less bias than Media Czar Rupert Murdock's "enquiring minds publication, The New York Post....

In your defense of the leader of your cult of personality, since by name I wasn't excluded and the fact this conversation so far is very limited in number (also bubs being plural) I guess I'm lumped into this load of coal. However, I think there in turn may be an equal bit of hypocracy and double standard here on your part.

The President, who by name represents your party, has failed to do nothing in taking down, let's see, how did you put it, "The Patriot act, FISA, and wiretapping created by the Third Reich wing Bush Adm" so to the Bush supporters you are correct but one has to now ask you about the danger of throwing rocks while living in glass houses!

Spencer Ackerman yesterday attended a Senate hearing at which the DOD's General Counsel, Jeh Johnson, testified. As Ackerman highlighted, Johnson actually said that even for those detainees to whom the Obama administration deigns to give a real trial in a real court, the President has the power to continue to imprison them indefinitely even if they are acquitted at their trial. About this assertion of "presidential post-acquittal detention power" -- an Orwellian term (and a Kafka-esque concept) that should send shivers down the spine of anyone who cares at all about the most basic liberties -- Ackerman wrote, with some understatement, that it "moved the Obama administration into new territory from a civil liberties perspective." Law professor Jonathan Turley was more blunt: "The Obama Administration continues its retention and expansion of abusive Bush policies — now clearly Obama policies on indefinite detention."

Greenwald

Locking up people who haven’t done anything wrong is worse than un-American and a violent attack on the most basic principles of Western jurisprudence. It is contrary to the most essential notion of human decency. That anyone has ever been subjected to “preventive detention” is an outrage. That the president of the United States, a man who won an election because he promised to elevate our moral and political discourse, would even entertain such a revolting idea offends the idea of civilization itself.
Obama is cute. He is charming. But there is something rotten inside him. Unlike the Republicans who backed George W. Bush, I won’t follow a terrible leader just because I voted for him. Obama has revealed himself. He is a monster, and he should remove himself from power.
“Prolonged detention,” reported The New York Times, would be inflicted upon “terrorism suspects who cannot be tried.”
“Cannot be tried.” Interesting choice of words.

Ted Rall

And then there are these guys (I doubt you'd find them at Elephant parties) who had the honesty to point this out.

The first 100 days of the Obama administration presented a historic opportunity to restore the Constitution after the Bush administration’s systematic attempts to dismantle it, right by right, while ignoring international human rights standards. Yet, despite several strong steps, the Obama presidency has failed to live up to its promises in many areas of critical importance, including human rights, torture, rendition, secrecy and surveillance.

Center for Constitutional Rights

Now that is just the very tip of the "Titanic" iceberg and not a single "RightWing Nut" among them. Your initial point is very valid, no arguement on that point but if you now think you hold a higher ground?

You best think again. A lot of honest folks on both sides and across the middle are waking up to realize that no matter which side you vote in, the same outcome just continues marching onward!

Sorry Diesel, but just because one used car lot has a slick, crooked salesman doesn't mean the lot next door has the opposite. In this case, there really is no real difference.

Maybe you should consider these 10 questions and their answers but then I guess it's just as easy to blow that off as it will be for you to blow of the growing iceberg too. There's always the serenity of the Cult of Personality!

:peaceful:

diesel96

In your defense of the leader of your cult of personality, since by name I wasn't excluded and the fact this conversation so far is very limited in number (also bubs being plural) I guess I'm lumped into this load of coal. However, I think there in turn may be an equal bit of hypocracy and double standard here on your part.

The President, who by name represents your party, has failed to do nothing in taking down, let's see, how did you put it, "The Patriot act, FISA, and wiretapping created by the Third Reich wing Bush Adm" so to the Bush supporters you are correct but one has to now ask you about the danger of throwing rocks while living in glass houses!

Greenwald

Ted Rall And Don't forget this.

And then there are these guys (I doubt you'd find them at Elephant parties) who had the honesty to point this out.

Center for Constitutional Rights

YouTube - Rachel Maddow: Indefinite detention? Shame on you... President Obama

Now that is just the very tip of the "Titanic" iceberg and not a single "RightWing Nut" among them. Your initial point is very valid, no arguement on that point but if you now think you hold a higher ground?

You best think again. A lot of honest folks on both sides and across the middle are waking up to realize that no matter which side you vote in, the same outcome just continues marching onward!

Sorry Diesel, but just because one used car lot has a slick, crooked salesman doesn't mean the lot next door has the opposite. In this case, there really is no real difference.

Maybe you should consider these 10 questions and their answers but then I guess it's just as easy to blow that off as it will be for you to blow of the growing iceberg too. There's always the serenity of the Cult of Personality!

You've just wasted ten-twenty minutes of your life preaching to the choir inaccurately insinuating my position. Nowhere in that post am I defending Obama....I'm not with Obama on any of his continuation of Bush policies pertaining to the Patriot Act, Fisa, or wiretapping and have expressed that to you in the past. ( I did hold Obama to his 18-months leadway to pull out of Iraq).....Do I still think Obama was the best man for the job...Hell yes, compared to any "Holier than thou" candidate the right presented or any "Lame Duck" Libertarian/Independent could mustard up...I realize exposing hypocrasy is stimulatingly exciting for you, but keep your pants zippered up on this higher ground, glass house, crooked salesman spliel, to prevent premature ejaculation.....:happy-very: now make sure you use a towel to wipe yourself off....:wink2:

wkmac

You've just wasted ten-twenty minutes of your life preaching to the choir inaccurately insinuating my position. Nowhere in that post am I defending Obama....I'm not with Obama on any of his continuation of Bush policies pertaining to the Patriot Act, Fisa, or wiretapping and have expressed that to you in the past. ( I did hold Obama to his 18-months leadway to pull out of Iraq).....Do I still think Obama was the best man for the job...Hell yes, compared to any "Holier than thou" candidate the right presented or any "Lame Duck" Libertarian/Independent could mustard up...I realize exposing hypocrasy is stimulatingly exciting for you, but keep your pants zippered up on this higher ground, glass house, crooked salesman spliel, to prevent premature ejaculation.....:happy-very: now make sure you use a towel to wipe yourself off....:wink2:

Half a century ago, President Dwight Eisenhower warned
Americans about the growing power of the military-industrial complex. Is the updated version -the financial-military-industrial complex - making US foreign policy no matter who is in the White House?

Hopefully not. But, aside from the thinning of US forces in Iraq, there has been remarkably little change of direction in US foreign policy since Obama took office.

ICY SMILES FOR OBAMA IN MOSCOW

The new president of the bankrupt American imperium should heed Gorbachev’s wisdom. Barack Obama’s inauguration offered a perfect opportunity to pause the US-led Afghan War, and open talks with Afghan groups resisting foreign occupation (both the Soviets and US branded them `terrorists’). Instead, Obama vowed to intensify the eight-year war which has so far cost the US $ 62 billion.

President Obama declared he will send 17,000 more US troops to Afghanistan on top of the 6,000 troops dispatched by George Bush. Another 13,000 will follow in the spring, raising the total US garrison to at least 66,000. These reinforcements are supposed to come from US occupation forces in Iraq.

But Pentagon hardliners and their Republican allies are trying to delay or thwart the troop drawdown from Iraq. Equally, I suspect that Iraq is in a temporary lull. Pulling out US forces may prove far harder than Obama expects.

Afghanistan is no longer George Bush’s War. It’s now President Obama’s War. Obama just defined his goals in Afghanistan as: 1. `preventing it from being used as a launching pad for attacks on North America;’ and `defeating al-Qaida.’ He also allowed that some sort of negotiations to split Taliban might be attempted.

Both stated goals are patently false. 9/11 was organized in Germany and Spain, allegedly by Saudis and Pakistanis. Attacks on New York, Washington, London, Madrid and Mumbai were plotted in apartments and houses, not the mountains of Afghanistan. Most of the so-called `terrorist training camps in Afghanistan in 2001’ were actually camps run by Pakistan intelligence where mujahidin were being prepared to fight in Indian-held Kashmir.

Al-Qaida never had more than 300 men and is today reduced to a handful of fugitives hiding in Pakistan’s tribal territories and Baluchistan. The movement’s primary function, as my new book explains, was as a guest house and data base for foreign mujahidin fighting the Soviets and Afghan Communists. It was not and is not a `world-wide terrorist organization.’ Catching al-Qaida’s survivors requires police work, not thousands of heavy troops.

WELCOME TO OBAMA’S WAR

First we had this
GeorgeBushHenryPaulsonShakingHands.jpg

Now we have this
alg_obama_geithner.jpg

Then we read this Whitney Gives Goldman Her Only ‘Buy’ Recommendation

According to the Washington Post, in a pre-holiday call with half a dozen top House and Senate Democrats, Obama asked health care advocates to ratchet back their pressure for a public option. He's apparently concerned about advertisements and on-line campaigns targeting foot-dragging Democrats.
We've been here before. Back in the fall and spring, when popular fury at private bankers was soaring, Washington urged liberal lobbying groups to focus more on backing the White House plan and less on attacking bankers and banks.
What happened? Washington allowed Wall Street insiders, many of whom had overseen the breaking apart of the economy, to manage the so called recovery, putting most of what was rotten back in place. The re-distributions of wealth to the top continued, while civilian unemployment headed through the roof.......

The health care debate is suffering from the same dynamic.
Specifically, on July 4, Obama said he is hoping left-leaning organizations will rally support for "advancing legislation" that fulfills his goal of expanding coverage. But the words public option were left out.
Pro-reform activists are pushing a public plan because it's popular, it's doable -- and it's at least a step closer to the only thing most actually think will work -- which is a totally public system.
Why are they pushing so hard? Well, consider what they're up against. Pulling against anything remotely public, is the biggest lobbying blitz Washington's ever seen. The Washington Post reports that private insurers, drug companies and their representatives spent more than $126 million on lobbying in the first quarter of this year. That's over $1.4 million a day.
And they've hired more than 350 former government staff members and retired members of Congress to do all that lobbying work.

Obama Hushes Health Care Advocates

FISH3degrees3.jpg

Now tell me again what's changed?
:wink2:

wkmac

Congress is outraged that Cheney concealed a CIA program to assassinate al Qaeda leaders, but they should also be investigating why Obama is continuing—and expanding—U.S. assassinations.

Is Obama Continuing the Bush/Cheney Assassination Program?

The announcement points out that, despite repeated administration promises of an eventual pullout, the Pentagon is operating under the assumption that they will maintain the current level of troops through at least the beginning of next year. They say this is to prove the continued commitment of the United States to the security of the Iraqi people.”

Still with President Obama promising during the campaign to have all the troops out by May of 2010, the apparent halt to what little troop level reductions have happened already suggests that far from being almost over, the war will continue for the forseeable future.

Pentagon Prepares to Maintain Iraq Troop Levels Through Early 2010

wkmac

As Democrats try to build momentum for the hearings, a senior Obama official has now come forward to defend the legality of Cheney and the C.I.A.s' alleged concealment. President Obama's Director of National Intelligence, Dennis Blair, says the C.I.A. did not violate the law. In an interview with The Washington Post, Blair said that he believes the C.I.A. should have informed Congress, but was not required to.

Senior Obama Official Backs Cheney and CIA, Says Concealment of Assassin Program Legal

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Makes one wonder just what kind of smoke & mirrors congress is trying to do now.
Why would they waste time & effort to looking into an idea that they were not told about because it never made it past the planning stage ?

What is it that they are so afraid of ?

wkmac

Makes one wonder just what kind of smoke & mirrors congress is trying to do now.
Why would they waste time & effort to looking into an idea that they were not told about because it never made it past the planning stage ?

What is it that they are so afraid of ?

I see you've not been following the "Drone Wars" as from your statement above. As was said in the movie Contact, "there's much more here guys!"

tieguy

Banned

I believe those laws are still intact thus your savior the great Obama is apparently a member of the third reich?