Gaming FT Driving by "school" transfers

reginald95

I know at least one guy who transferred into my building for "school" he's not going to school anymore but he pretty much jumped over dozens of people waiting for a ft position. Can anything be done about this?

upschuck

I know at least one guy who transferred into my building for "school" he's not going to school anymore but he pretty much jumped over dozens of people waiting for a ft position. Can anything be done about this?
If you transfer, I thought you went to bottom of building seniority list, but kept company seniority for only vacation weeks. That is what they tell people here.

reginald95

If you transfer, I thought you went to bottom of building seniority list, but kept company seniority for only vacation weeks. That is what they tell people here.

I think it's only for vacations and part-time work. For full-time bids you have your company seniority.

UPSGUY72

The driver shouldn't have any building seniority as to bidding. File a grievance based on bidding seniority. File that tomorrow when you get to work and have the other people that the driver jumped over file also.

Also how long did he attended school after he got a transfer ??? Was it a semester or was it less ???

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't think he did.

I assume that you started this thread as you were one of the people who got passed over. I would think that if he transferred for school and quit without competing at least one semester that you may have a valid grievance, although I don't know what article of the contract you would use when you file.

reginald95

I assume that you started this thread as you were one of the people who got passed over. I would think that if he transferred for school and quit without competing at least one semester that you may have a valid grievance, although I don't know what article of the contract you would use when you file.

Not quite. We are both part-timers. He's an air driver and I've been a cover driver for about 3 years now. My number is coming up pretty soon and he has 1 year on me. I had him as a driver helper one peak season so that's how I know how he deliberately gamed the school transfer to position himself the way he is now.

box_beeyotch

Not quite. We are both part-timers. He's an air driver and I've been a cover driver for about 3 years now. My number is coming up pretty soon and he has 1 year on me. I had him as a driver helper one peak season so that's how I know how he deliberately gamed the school transfer to position himself the way he is now.

He openly admitted that to you? Sometimes you should just keep your mouth closed. Talk to a steward or even your center manager ASAP.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Its not gaming the system if he followed the rules. Ups only requires you to enroll in classes. It doesn't say anything about attendance or graduating

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Its not gaming the system if he followed the rules. Ups only requires you to enroll in classes. It doesn't say anything about attendance or graduating

It's gaming the system if he clearly had no intent to complete the semester, let along graduate.

I would be curious as to how much of a refund, if any, he got from the school for dropping out before the semester was over.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Who cares. Thats his life choice. He followed the rules set by ups.

BS. He knowingly abused a perk for his own benefit.

This is no better than someone who is supposed to be on jury duty but is seen working on his roof or someone who's grandmother has died for the third time and is out on bereavement leave (again).

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
The employee lost all building senority transfering. He did not jump ahead of anyone. The op needs to read the contract. Not rely on he said she said

F

FrigidAdCorrector

He couldn't jump ahead of you. He may have more company seniority, but he's at the bottom of the list for bidding. You must have missed something.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The employee lost all building senority transfering. He did not jump ahead of anyone. The op needs to read the contract. Not rely on he said she said

He couldn't jump ahead of you. He may have more company seniority, but he's at the bottom of the list for bidding. You must have missed something.

If I had to guess the guy that transfered. THINKS he kept seniority and jumped everyone.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
He transferred FT to FT? Was it with in the union?
It was part time but there are local and regional supplements you can transfer within FT to FT.

As far as transfers go it's a local by local basis and everyone needs to realize that. What you think is the correct answer probably does not cover every local.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

If I had to guess the guy the transfered. THINKS he kept seniority and jumped everyone.
Probably spot on there. He's going to be surprised when he looks at the seniority list. We had a guy that transferred from another region to my building about a year ago and he's still telling everyone he's top seniority in our building for PT. He threatened to file a grievance on me when we were bidding vacations. The Steward told him I had it right and he had it wrong. Wish I got that on tape.