Gaming FT Driving by "school" transfers

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by reginald396, Apr 26, 2015.

1. reginald396

reginald396 Member

I know at least one guy who transferred into my building for "school" he's not going to school anymore but he pretty much jumped over dozens of people waiting for a ft position. Can anything be done about this?

2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Did he attend for at least one semester?

3. upschuck

upschuck Avatar bet gone wrong

If you transfer, I thought you went to bottom of building seniority list, but kept company seniority for only vacation weeks. That is what they tell people here.

4. reginald396

reginald396 Member

I think it's only for vacations and part-time work. For full-time bids you have your company seniority.

5. reginald396

reginald396 Member

I don't think he did.

6. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

The driver shouldn't have any building seniority as to bidding. File a grievance based on bidding seniority. File that tomorrow when you get to work and have the other people that the driver jumped over file also.

Also how long did he attended school after he got a transfer ??? Was it a semester or was it less ???

7. UpstateNYUPSer

I assume that you started this thread as you were one of the people who got passed over. I would think that if he transferred for school and quit without competing at least one semester that you may have a valid grievance, although I don't know what article of the contract you would use when you file.

8. reginald396

reginald396 Member

Not quite. We are both part-timers. He's an air driver and I've been a cover driver for about 3 years now. My number is coming up pretty soon and he has 1 year on me. I had him as a driver helper one peak season so that's how I know how he deliberately gamed the school transfer to position himself the way he is now.

9. box_beeyotch

box_beeyotch Well-Known Member

He openly admitted that to you? Sometimes you should just keep your mouth closed. Talk to a steward or even your center manager ASAP.

10. silenze

silenze Lunch is the best part of the day

Its not gaming the system if he followed the rules. Ups only requires you to enroll in classes. It doesn't say anything about attendance or graduating

11. UpstateNYUPSer

It's gaming the system if he clearly had no intent to complete the semester, let along graduate.

I would be curious as to how much of a refund, if any, he got from the school for dropping out before the semester was over.

12. silenze

Who cares. Thats his life choice. He followed the rules set by ups.

13. UpstateNYUPSer

BS. He knowingly abused a perk for his own benefit.

This is no better than someone who is supposed to be on jury duty but is seen working on his roof or someone who's grandmother has died for the third time and is out on bereavement leave (again).

14. silenze

The employee lost all building senority transfering. He did not jump ahead of anyone. The op needs to read the contract. Not rely on he said she said

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. He couldn't jump ahead of you. He may have more company seniority, but he's at the bottom of the list for bidding. You must have missed something.

16. jerseyupser

jerseyupser Member

He transferred FT to FT? Was it with in the union?

17. UpstateNYUPSer

He is PT.

18. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

If I had to guess the guy that transfered. THINKS he kept seniority and jumped everyone.

19. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

It was part time but there are local and regional supplements you can transfer within FT to FT.

As far as transfers go it's a local by local basis and everyone needs to realize that. What you think is the correct answer probably does not cover every local.

20. Probably spot on there. He's going to be surprised when he looks at the seniority list. We had a guy that transferred from another region to my building about a year ago and he's still telling everyone he's top seniority in our building for PT. He threatened to file a grievance on me when we were bidding vacations. The Steward told him I had it right and he had it wrong. Wish I got that on tape.