Garmin GPS ~ full stop manifest integration

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Sweet, so i didn't want to pay for a newer Garmin gps(with the special "apps" function) so it can adopt this trip plan tech

I went on ebay for a month to finally win 2 auctions (outvof 20) within my price range (under $50)

Got the nuvi 58LMT and 55LMT. Was only planning to get one, but won the 2nd unit for under $30 (so it's gonna be my backup or i may rent it to other drivers to help make up their minds of getting one)

Not bad that i have all my stops on the device.

I wish those stops can auto delete once i get to a flag. Sometimes i dont follow orion trace, but the gps doesn't know it and ill have to override the gps to skip the ones i did out of sequence.

I do use the 3rd key of the smith system so its not a distraction like what express or ups thinks about having a gps unit stuck on the windshield

So this dumb truck driver can now be even dumber with this tech! Not really, but it seems to be a good tool for a swing~ cover driver.

Its better than that "show me ~ take me " gps maps in the powerpads

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Sweet, so i didn't want to pay for a newer Garmin gps(with the special "apps" function) so it can adopt this trip plan tech

I went on ebay for a month to finally win 2 auctions (outvof 20) within my price range (under $50)

Got the nuvi 58LMT and 55LMT. Was only planning to get one, but won the 2nd unit for under $30 (so it's gonna be my backup or i may rent it to other drivers to help make up their minds of getting one)

Not bad that i have all my stops on the device.

I wish those stops can auto delete once i get to a flag. Sometimes i dont follow orion trace, but the gps doesn't know it and ill have to override the gps to skip the ones i did out of sequence.

I do use the 3rd key of the smith system so its not a distraction like what express or ups thinks about having a gps unit stuck on the windshield

So this dumb truck driver can now be even dumber with this tech! Not really, but it seems to be a good tool for a swing~ cover driver.

Its better than that "show me ~ take me " gps maps in the powerpads

What a waste of time entering each and every address. I wonder what people did before GPS and smartphones. People must have been pretty dumb back then.

STFXG

This for HD? It doesn't work worth a :censored2: on the Ground side. Tried it last peak and it downloaded about 1/10 stops.

OrioN

Yup, but this tech at Homedelivery is pretty neat... it uploads all the stops for the day on my gps in minutes to avoid having to do it manually. It can't do the full route in one file, it has to split it up to separate trip logs.

After i close out my powerpad to reboot to p&d mode, I'll take my GPS to dispatch and finish buttoning up my vehicle (pretrip, getting supplies, ice for my cooler, etc). By the time i switch to uniform mode to fool the customers that im a FedEx employee, my gps n paperwork is ready to be picked up.

Also means anyone with a relatively clean license can hop on to the route and do it, in case bid driver has a "no call~ no show " incident.

Having area knowledge does trump this tech, but doesnt hurt it either in case you're in the blind when the sun is going down sooner this time of year. Stress free driving on my part.

Last edited:

It will be fine

What a waste of time entering each and every address. I wonder what people did before GPS and smartphones. People must have been pretty dumb back then.
It downloads all the stops for the route. You don't have to manually enter anything. Just plug it in. Makes it pretty easy to get reasonable production out of new hires.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Yup, but this tech at Homedelivery is pretty neat... it uploads all the stops for the day on my gps in minutes to avoid having to do it manually. It can't do the full route in one file, it has to split it up to separate trip logs.

After i close out my powerpad to reboot to p&d mode, I'll take my GPS to dispatch and finish buttoning up my vehicle (pretrip, getting supplies, ice for my cooler, etc). By the time i switch to uniform mode to fool the customers that im a FedEx employee, my gps n paperwork is ready to be picked up.

Also means anyone with a relatively clean license can hop on to the route and do it, in case bid driver has a "no call~ no show " incident.

Having area knowledge does trump this tech, but doesnt hurt it either in case you're in the blind when the sun is going down sooner this time of year. Stress free driving on my part.

It downloads all the stops for the route. You don't have to manually enter anything. Just plug it in. Makes it pretty easy to get reasonable production out of new hires.

So you can hook up a personal GPS to FedEx computers and have the route manifest loaded to it? Guess that's not so bad so long as the GPS unit has no issues throughout the day.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
So you can hook up a personal GPS to FedEx computers and have the route manifest loaded to it? Guess that's not so bad so long as the GPS unit has no issues throughout the day.

Still not as reliable as making friends with the mail carriers and postmasters/postmistresses out on the rural routes. Or learning where the nearest volunteer fire company was.

rod

Retired 22 years
I'm about ready to toss my Garmin nuvi 65 in the trash. On our last trip it sent us on a wild goose chase once too often. As an example we had it set to the Chamber of Commerce in Bayfield Wisc. About a mile before reaching the town it told us to take a right on some little backwoods country road. As soon as I turned I told the wife " I bet this road comes into the town on a back street". It didn't even do that. We drove one mile then made a sharp left turn and it brought us out to the hi-way again just before town. You could see back up the road where it had told us to turn off and there wasn't any road construction, detours or accidents. I don't appreciate taking 2 mile unnecessary detours pulling a camper. My wife swears by her Garmin--I swear at it. (yes it has been updated yearly)

OrioN

Scooby, yup! Its one of the reasons why i stayed with HD vs Ground... me dumb n lazy!

I dont want to wear out my body for peanuts doing bulk stops all day, and trying to make pickup deadlines while still delivering.

HD is all mostly resis and if i didnt catch a business stop by closing time, no worries~ i will break Orion trace tomorrow to make sure they get it

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I'm about ready to toss my Garmin nuvi 65 in the trash. On our last trip it sent us on a wild goose chase once too often. As an example we had it set to the Chamber of Commerce in Bayfield Wisc. About a mile before reaching the town it told us to take a right on some little backwoods country road. As soon as I turned I told the wife " I bet this road comes into the town on a back street". It didn't even do that. We drove one mile then made a sharp left turn and it brought us out to the hi-way again just before town. You could see back up the road where it had told us to turn off and there wasn't any road construction, detours or accidents. I don't appreciate taking 2 mile unnecessary detours pulling a camper. My wife swears by her Garmin--I swear at it. (yes it has been updated yearly)

Google Maps on a smart phone.

In my minimum wage, part-time, retirement job, I get sent all over the state and then some. Google Maps has never let me down.

OrioN

Rod, its just another tool... maybe u didnt set the nav preferences to avoid dirt roads. Sometimes faster route vs shorter route also makes a difference

I usually look at the overview to make sure...

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Rod, its just another tool... maybe u didnt set the nav preferences to avoid dirt roads. Sometimes faster route vs shorter route also makes a difference

I usually look at the overview to make sure...

No. I've seen some Garmin screw-ups lately.

rod

Retired 22 years
Google Maps on a smart phone.

In my minimum wage, part-time, retirement job, I get sent all over the state and then some. Google Maps has never let me down.

First I have to get a smart phone-------------------------------------------and learn how to use it. That shouldn't take longer than 3 or 4 years.