Gas Prices

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I wonder if bho motorcade will decrease in size now, does he really need 40 vehicles ?
Maybe he could show some leadership and trade-in his limo for a Chevy Volt .

I wonder if bho motorcade will decrease in size now, does he really need 40 vehicles ?
Maybe he could show some leadership and trade-in his limo for a Chevy Volt .
) should just get one tank from the military and let that suffice. All of Sheriff Joe's ideas aren't bad. :)

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have to point out the fact that the pain of high gas prices is largely self-inflicted.

We all get to choose where we live, we all get to choose the distance of our commute, and we all get to choose the vehicle we drive.

I chose to buy a home that is 13 miles from where I work, and I chose to buy a car that gets 40 MPG. So, quite frankly, I could care less whether gas is 2 or 3 or even $4 per gallon.

A car that gets 40MPG on $4 per gallon fuel costs the same amount to drive as a car that gets 10MPG on $1 per gallon fuel. If you want to pay less for fuel, then use less fuel. It isnt rocket science.

If your lifestyle involves commuting long distances via car, and/or driving a gas hog SUV, then perhaps that lifestyle needs to be reevaluated. Any rational person who looks at what is going on in our world today and who does some basic research into the reality of fossil fuels should know that our days of burning up $1 a gallon gas like it was water are over. They should have been over back in the early 1970's during the first energy crisis, but we Americans seem to regard cheap gas as some sort of birthright. So we find that history is simply repeating itself and we are getting to learn the same painful lessons all over again.

"Drill here, drill now" is a joke. It does nothing to solve the underlying problem, it only delays the inevitable and prolongs the pain. The solution is conservation and the use of alternate and renewable sources of energy. The answers are all around us, we as a nation simply lack the wisdom and willingess to make the necessary changes.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
) should just get one tank from the military and let that suffice. All of Sheriff Joe's ideas aren't bad. :)

Obama's "limo" (it's really a car body on a truck chassis) is a lot more specialized than a tank. If Sheriff Joe were in charge, bad things would happen, because he's an idiot.

klein

Für Meno :)
I have to point out the fact that the pain of high gas prices is largely self-inflicted.........

Still hurts to pay almost double at the pump then a year ago.
Those extra $20 or more per week, could go towards a pizza nite, or clothing, or just into savings.

And, if it wasn't for those Hummers, p/u trucks, vans, motorhomes, etc, then the price at the pump would be much less then it is today.
It's all supply and demand.
If demand goes down, so does the price.
In the end, every little gasoline consumer pays for those that "waste it as if it were water" .

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I have to point out the fact that the pain of high gas prices is largely self-inflicted.........

Based on his previous posts, it's not in klein's nature to assume responsibility ... therefore I predict he will blame someone else ... maybe a group of people since he hates to recognize individuals and prefers to think in groups.

Still hurts to pay almost double at the pump then a year ago.
Those extra $20 or more per week, could go towards a pizza nite, or clothing, or just into savings.

And, if it wasn't for those Hummers, p/u trucks, vans, motorhomes, etc, then the price at the pump would be much less then it is today.
It's all supply and demand.
If demand goes down, so does the price.
In the end, every little gasoline consumer pays for those that "waste it as if it were water" .

Lo and behold ... I was correct. :funny:
Only $20 a week more ... man, you need to get out more!

Last edited:

island1fox

How do transportation companies keep their costs down ??
Small and large trucking companies are really hurting or just passing the cost along to the general public with high shipping costs and high food prices.
Drill now may not be the end game but if we had been using ALL energy sources while we transform it would be a lot less painful.
Almost three years ago Obama told us alternate fuels would be our salvation. For the past 60 years Presidents have been telling that to us.
Last week Obama made a speech and claimed that in "a few more years" we will have a viable alternative plan ---Please --we are decades away.
Drill now, drill now ,drill now.
Obama gives Brazil billions of dollars to hook up with a oil drilling company that Soros is heavily invested in. Brazil will then charge us whatever they want for the oil.
Cuba and China are pairing up to drill of of OUR coast.
I am in favor of alternative fuels and being serius about it but making drilling very difficult or impossible of what we control today is foolish and will hurt the entire economy.
P.S. In the early sixties in the UPS building in Metro N.Y. -43RD st -ups introduced a truck run by battery. Almost 50 years later we are still jerking around with alternatives.:sad-little:

I have to point out the fact that the pain of high gas prices is largely self-inflicted.

We all get to choose where we live, we all get to choose the distance of our commute, and we all get to choose the vehicle we drive.

I chose to buy a home that is 13 miles from where I work, and I chose to buy a car that gets 40 MPG. So, quite frankly, I could care less whether gas is 2 or 3 or even $4 per gallon.

A car that gets 40MPG on $4 per gallon fuel costs the same amount to drive as a car that gets 10MPG on $1 per gallon fuel. If you want to pay less for fuel, then use less fuel. It isnt rocket science.

If your lifestyle involves commuting long distances via car, and/or driving a gas hog SUV, then perhaps that lifestyle needs to be reevaluated. Any rational person who looks at what is going on in our world today and who does some basic research into the reality of fossil fuels should know that our days of burning up $1 a gallon gas like it was water are over. They should have been over back in the early 1970's during the first energy crisis, but we Americans seem to regard cheap gas as some sort of birthright. So we find that history is simply repeating itself and we are getting to learn the same painful lessons all over again.

"Drill here, drill now" is a joke. It does nothing to solve the underlying problem, it only delays the inevitable and prolongs the pain. The solution is conservation and the use of alternate and renewable sources of energy. The answers are all around us, we as a nation simply lack the wisdom and willingess to make the necessary changes.
How many sheets of plywood and/or drywall can you haul in that gas miser?

Of course personal choices effect the amount of fuel one uses, however, sometimes the choices are not as simple as we would like them to be.

soberups

If they had started drilling, when they did all the talking, we could've been free of foreign oil by now.

Free for how long? A year? 5 years at the most? "Drill here drill now" is like a heroin addict who pretends to solve his problem by going upstairs and breaking into his mothers medicine cabinet to steal her pain pills. He isnt solving anything, he is only delaying the inevitable.

soberups

How many sheets of plywood and/or drywall can you haul in that gas miser?

Of course personal choices effect the amount of fuel one uses, however, sometimes the choices are not as simple as we would like them to be.

When I need to haul firewood or tow a heavy trailer, I fire up my '76 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4. It has a 4bbl carb, headers, an Edelbrock intake manifold, and it gets about 8 MPG on a good day.

I drove it less than 400 miles last year.The same cannot be said for many of the commuters I see every day driving to work by themselves in grossly inefficent SUV's or full-sized trucks with empty beds.

I get that high fuel costs can affect transportation companies as well as contractors, builders and plumbers whose trades require vehicles that haul heavy loads. I must point out, however, that all such people are affected equally and such people (my sister is a house painter by trade so I know of what I speak) can simply pass the additional fuel costs onto their customers. Once fuel reaches a certain price, it becomes cost-effective to own multiple vehicles such as I have done, and to only use the "gas hog" when it is absolutely needed. And the reality is that for every contractor whose job legitimately requires a large truck, there are probably a hundred people for whom a large truck or SUV is simply a lifestyle choice that reflects their desire to own and haul a boat or RV. And I have no sympathy for such people when they complain of high fuel prices; they made a choice and that choice has consequences as well as benefits.

When I need to haul firewood or tow a heavy trailer, I fire up my '76 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4. It has a 4bbl carb, headers, an Edelbrock intake manifold, and it gets about 8 MPG on a good day.

I get that high fuel costs can affect transportation companies as well as contractors, builders and plumbers whose trades require vehicles that haul heavy loads. I must point out, however, that all such people are affected equally and such people (my sister is a house painter by trade so I know of what I speak) can simply pass the additional fuel costs onto their customers. Once fuel reaches a certain price, it becomes cost-effective to own multiple vehicles such as I have done, and to only use the "gas hog" when it is absolutely needed. And the reality is that for every contractor whose job legitimately requires a large truck, there are probably a hundred people for whom a large truck or SUV is simply a lifestyle choice that reflects their desire to own and haul a boat or RV. And I have no sympathy for such people when they complain of high fuel prices; they made a choice and that choice has consequences as well as benefits.

Free for how long? A year? 5 years at the most? "Drill here drill now" is like a heroin addict who pretends to solve his problem by going upstairs and breaking into his mothers medicine cabinet to steal her pain pills. He isnt solving anything, he is only delaying the inevitable.
I drove it less than 400 miles last year.The same cannot be said for many of the commuters I see every day driving to work by themselves in grossly inefficent SUV's or full-sized trucks with empty beds.
Not everyone can keep more vehicles than their main driver/s for various reasons. I don't have a boat or an RV, but do haul building supplies quite often, have no place to legally keep an extra vehicle. A full size PU is important in my life, not exactly essential nor a "life style choice" but important just the same.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
ask they to forget about building all those high speed railroads and spend the money on something more important.
I want to see recharging stations on every urban street, just like the current parking meters are. how else is an urban dweller going to be able to have a Chevy Volt type vehicle.

klein

ask they to forget about building all those high speed railroads and spend the money on something more important.
I want to see recharging stations on every urban street, just like the current parking meters are. how else is an urban dweller going to be able to have a Chevy Volt type vehicle.

Quick recharging systems are comming soon, but don't expect to see them on the streets , atleast not anytime soon.
Basically just at gas stations.
Don't really need one with the Chevy Volt, anyways. Since it has a gas engine, too.
60 miles should get you to work back and forth on electricity, or any other city, urban runs you make.

The Volt looks better and better with these gas prices.
$40K though ????
I would need to make major calculations on that one. But above $4/gallon, or even $5.00, I think the extra cost may just pay itself off in the long term.

klein

get a prius..only $24,000 and it gets 60 mpg.
over one million sold

Gee, give the Volt a chance, will ya ? Just because you hate GM, don't turn it down too much.
If I had extra money I would invest in GM now.
The Volt is only sold in 4 states , I believe.
Not until the Fall, will it become available nationwide in the US.

The Prius has been on the market for sometime now, and available worldwide.
I'm giving GM a chance on this one. Nothing out there, like it , yet !

Besides, I rather have 60 miles Zero Gallons. Don't want to see another gas station if I don't need to.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The Prius is in it's 3rd version which means they have worked all of the bugs out. It even has a solar panel built in to the sunroof which helps to keep the interior cool in the summer.

There are Federal and State tax credits available for the Volt which brings the $40K sticker down to around $25-30K.

I get 26 mpg in the city and 34 on the highway with my Altima. I could probably get even better mileage if I didn't drive it the way I drive my pkg car.