Gas Prices

Rainman

Its all good.
I never realized till now that hydraulic fracking doesn't count as drilling. So much for that gold rush of energy production capacity.
Plenty of places in Alaska "shovel ready projects" to drill if Obama hadn't stopped it.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

wkmac

Plenty of places in Alaska "shovel ready projects" to drill if Obama hadn't stopped it.

Did Obama single handedly stop it or did he just maintain the status quo of previous Presidential administrations of both political parties? Besides, in 2010' the United States Geological Survey re-evaluated the amount of oil on Alaska's North Slope in the area known as NPRA (National Petroleum Reserve of Alaska) and instead of a reserve of 10 plus billion barrels of oil, there are only 890 million barrels in reserve. Here is the the USGS media release on their new findings. I also find it interesting in looking at the average gasoline price over the last 10 years that the price of gas actually went higher during the late Bush term as opposed to anytime during the current Obama term. Now under Obama prices have stayed higher but looking once again at the 10 year price averages, in late 2010' the price of gas went vertical to then stabilize into higher averages. This upward spike occurred at the same time as the USGS released the reassessment of projected oil reserves as being only 10% of what was previously thought. Less actual product to known growing demand with in the laws of economics say the price will go up and stay up. And as to the recent boom in fracking oil, there is some evidence that not all is as it may seem.

As I said earlier, there are many variables and factors to be considered beyond just the latest sock puppet who occupies the WH. As to oil pipelines, more and more of the Canadian Shale is owned by China State Oil interests. MacKay River shale is all but controlled by Chinese National State Oil Company and former Canadian Oil player Nexen is now fully owned by same Chinese State Oil interests. Again, the complexity of oil is far above Obama's or Bush's pay grade.

For the record and full disclosure, I have no love for either Obama or Bush, democrat or republican. I detest them all and consider all nothing more than on this scale.

rod

Retired 22 years
I drive a Prius that gets almost 50MPG. Last time I filled up, I paid about $4 a gallon for gas.
20 years ago I drove a '77 Mercury Cougar with a 351 V-8 that got about 10MPG. Back then, a gallon of gas cost about $1. So my reality is that I am paying the same amount of money per mile to fuel my car as I did 20 years ago. Its all about choices.

Your 1977 Cougar could be equipped with a hitch to pull a decent size camping trailer----and it would do it with no problem. You could also win a few drag races and look cool doing it. Try that with you Prius.

Rainman

Its all good.
Did Obama single handedly stop it or did he just maintain the status quo of previous Presidential administrations of both political parties? Besides, in 2010' the United States Geological Survey re-evaluated the amount of oil on Alaska's North Slope in the area known as NPRA (National Petroleum Reserve of Alaska) and instead of a reserve of 10 plus billion barrels of oil, there are only 890 million barrels in reserve. Here is the the USGS media release on their new findings. I also find it interesting in looking at the average gasoline price over the last 10 years that the price of gas actually went higher during the late Bush term as opposed to anytime during the current Obama term. Now under Obama prices have stayed higher but looking once again at the 10 year price averages, in late 2010' the price of gas went vertical to then stabilize into higher averages. This upward spike occurred at the same time as the USGS released the reassessment of projected oil reserves as being only 10% of what was previously thought. Less actual product to known growing demand with in the laws of economics say the price will go up and stay up. And as to the recent boom in fracking oil, there is some evidence that not all is as it may seem.

As I said earlier, there are many variables and factors to be considered beyond just the latest sock puppet who occupies the WH. As to oil pipelines, more and more of the Canadian Shale is owned by China State Oil interests. MacKay River shale is all but controlled by Chinese National State Oil Company and former Canadian Oil player Nexen is now fully owned by same Chinese State Oil interests. Again, the complexity of oil is far above Obama's or Bush's pay grade.

For the record and full disclosure, I have no love for either Obama or Bush, democrat or republican. I detest them all and consider all nothing more than on this scale.
Yes, Obama did stop it with an executive order. I also detest both parties. Scum and scummer.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Your 1977 Cougar could be equipped with a hitch to pull a decent size camping trailer----and it would do it with no problem. You could also win a few drag races and look cool doing it. Try that with you Prius.
1. I have no need to win drag races in the car I commute to work in.
2. If I need to pull a trailer or haul heavy loads, I also have a '96 F250 4x4 with a 351 V8. Its a gas hog, but since I drive it about 1500 miles per year at most, I really dont care. Its paid for and it only has 127k on the odometer, so at that rate it will last me the rest of my life. My Prius meets my needs about 99% of the time and gets 50MPG in the process...even if it doesnt win any drag races.

wkmac

Yes, Obama did stop it with an executive order. I also detest both parties. Scum and scummer.

To offshore drilling in hindsight of the Deepwater Horizon, yes, he did reverse his earlier position of allowing off shore drilling. But that is off shore drilling only. To my understanding, he has yet to reverse himself again on off shore drilling. George H.W. Bush first instituted an off shore drilling ban via executive order in 1990' which it wasn't until the summer of 2008' that his son George W. rescinded his father's order but Congress also had a say and refused to act. Thus making off shore drilling a campaign issue which IMO was the point to W's actions so late in his term in the first place. In 2005' none other than Don Rumsfeld objected to off shore drilling in the gulf and along the Florida coast as interfering with military training and preparedness operations.

As to the specific EO you are speaking of, can you link that specific EO and what drilling Obama has prohibited as a result of?

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The prices could drop more if Obama would allow domestic oil drilling instead of banning it in most areas as he has. He shares part of the blame too. If you are going to blame one, then blame all who have their hand in it.

What you said here is exactly the problem with people who dont understand how the price of oil works. Your "sources" continue to preach a narrative that tells you that "supply" is the reason for high prices, yet, what they DONT tell you is that we are OVER SUPPLIED right now and our country has more oil than it can consume.

In California alone, for example, our suppliers here are OVERSTOCKED with refined fuel and that should bring the prices down in California, yet, instead, to hold prices HIGHER, they simply sell the overage to MEXICO and keep the supply levels down to a 30 level.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?id=8564377

This has been discussed OVER and OVER since 2012, yet, NONE of you talk about it. WKMAC is correct is saying that MORELUCK made a choice to live in a pricey part of so cal, and the price for that choice is higher fuel prices. She could drive 20 miles north into Anaheim and gas prices could be as much as .25 cents cheaper.

We have ENOUGH oil already, but its the traders who in conjunction with the oil companies set the prices and make a ton of money. They dont care about the economy, they dont care that people hurt with fuel prices, its the new free market system.

You want more drilling in a period where we cant even store any more crude.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...soline-than-imported-last-year/1#.U1fRLbMU99A

Political rhetoric sounds great if you dont understand what is really going on with oil. The republicans will continue to assist the oil companies in making as much money as possible by promoting more drilling so that oil can be sold OVERSEAS.

There is NO reason prices should be this high with inventories as high as they are and consumption down as it is.

Another pipeline will NOT have any effect on the price on a barrel of oil in the USA. Its clear the traders are going to keep a price of oil between 90 dollars and 100 for years to come regardless of where we drill.

TOS.

rod

Retired 22 years
What you said here is exactly the problem with people who dont understand how the price of oil works. Your "sources" continue to preach a narrative that tells you that "supply" is the reason for high prices, yet, what they DONT tell you is that we are OVER SUPPLIED right now and our country has more oil than it can consume.

In California alone, for example, our suppliers here are OVERSTOCKED with refined fuel and that should bring the prices down in California, yet, instead, to hold prices HIGHER, they simply sell the overage to MEXICO and keep the supply levels down to a 30 level.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?id=8564377

This has been discussed OVER and OVER since 2012, yet, NONE of you talk about it. WKMAC is correct is saying that MORELUCK made a choice to live in a pricey part of so cal, and the price for that choice is higher fuel prices. She could drive 20 miles north into Anaheim and gas prices could be as much as .25 cents cheaper.

We have ENOUGH oil already, but its the traders who in conjunction with the oil companies set the prices and make a ton of money. They dont care about the economy, they dont care that people hurt with fuel prices, its the new free market system.

You want more drilling in a period where we cant even store any more crude.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...soline-than-imported-last-year/1#.U1fRLbMU99A

Political rhetoric sounds great if you dont understand what is really going on with oil. The republicans will continue to assist the oil companies in making as much money as possible by promoting more drilling so that oil can be sold OVERSEAS.

There is NO reason prices should be this high with inventories as high as they are and consumption down as it is.

Another pipeline will NOT have any effect on the price on a barrel of oil in the USA. Its clear the traders are going to keep a price of oil between 90 dollars and 100 for years to come regardless of where we drill.

TOS.

I very seldom agree with TOS but I do agree with his views on gas prices.

wkmac

This link to the United States Energy Information Administration has some interesting info in graph form that dates from 1980' through 2012'. At the link, click on Petroleum under Overview US and then look at the history graph for total oil production and it shows an interesting picture. Same is true for consumption.

wkmac

Drag Racing icon Big Daddy Don Garlits has built SR-37 (Swamp Rat 37) that is electric with the goal of breaking the 200 mph barrier. Shake down test next Wednesday.

wkmac

now there's a name for throw back Thursday.

Rod, I know you are a bit of a gearhead as we've talked sprint cars before so you might find this short video of Big giving an early mockup of the electric dragster a quick launch and shut off. This is from late 2012' and you'll see the car is very stripped down. Big ran it to the 330 ft. mark and clicked it but his 60 ft. and 330 ft times are interesting. 60 ft. was 1.138 seconds and 330 ft. was 3.222 seconds. As comparison, a 200 plus mph Pro Stocker 60 ft. will be sub 1.1 sec and 330 ft will be sub 2.8 to 2.9. This early mock up in it's first shakedown run was already in the ballpark. Also seems weird to not hear the thunder of nitro and 10k horsepower.

Being Fast Friday, here you go!

rod

Retired 22 years
Rod, I know you are a bit of a gearhead as we've talked sprint cars before so you might find this short video of Big giving an early mockup of the electric dragster a quick launch and shut off. This is from late 2012' and you'll see the car is very stripped down. Big ran it to the 330 ft. mark and clicked it but his 60 ft. and 330 ft times are interesting. 60 ft. was 1.138 seconds and 330 ft. was 3.222 seconds. As comparison, a 200 plus mph Pro Stocker 60 ft. will be sub 1.1 sec and 330 ft will be sub 2.8 to 2.9. This early mock up in it's first shakedown run was already in the ballpark. Also seems weird to not hear the thunder of nitro and 10k horsepower.

Being Fast Friday, here you go!

I can respect the torque and the speed but it just isn't right unless your eardrums are being destroyed. If you happened to be looking into your beer cup or at some good looking babe when these electric things launch you wouldn't even know you missed something.

wkmac

I can respect the torque and the speed but it just isn't right unless your eardrums are being destroyed. If you happened to be looking into your beer cup or at some good looking babe when these electric things launch you wouldn't even know you missed something.

That's true but it would sure kill the noise problem of any dragstrip.

Many people see racing of any kind and don't get it but they never realize how racing, even the overblown marketing kind today which is most of racing, still serves as a testing ground and engineering platform to develop and improve automotive technology. Big has always been an innovator and often ahead of the curve. No one argues that take Big out of history and fuel racing would be a very different animal and maybe not at all. With his wife just months ago passing away, he knows his time is short but could he be about to not just dramatically change racing but change even our own daily lives? That may take a few decades to fully answer but I'm going to enjoy watching the Da Vinci of drag racing in his last gift to the sport. After reading yesterday about the newly developed Forever Battery, maybe The Old Man really is once again ahead of the curve and the rest of us.

As to gas prices, ours just jumped up 10 to 12 cents a gallon, we have an excess surplus of oil (unrefined) but they are taking refineries off line for routine maintenance. My question is, why doe Obama see the need to do this and put us through such misery and economic hardship? Is it the communist or the muslim in him that is the root cause? I look forward in humorous delight to reading your explanations!
:wink-very:

rod

Retired 22 years
I am getting to the point where I am too old or just plain too stubborn to change my ways. I enjoy the "noise" at any kind of race I attend. Unfortunately many many tracks have been closed because the noise was too much for the neighbors----the majority of the complainers having move close to a track knowing full well what they were getting into. Within 10 miles of me there is a big time drag strip that hosts a national race every year in August and weekly drag races, a 1/3 mile dirt track that races every Saturday night for 4 months, a motor cross track that races every Friday night and a National Guard training camp that shoots off the big guns that rattle windows for miles at any time of the day or night. Summer weekends can be pretty noisy around here at times but I love it. Every week there is a letter to the editor in the local paper complaining about some track making too much noise. There are even idiots who complain about the Camp making too much noise. All these crybabies are the ones who have moved her in the last 10 years or so and should have realized that the Drag Strip and the Dirt Track have been here since the 60's and the Camp has been here forever.

oldngray

nowhere special
I am getting to the point where I am too old or just plain too stubborn to change my ways. I enjoy the "noise" at any kind of race I attend. Unfortunately many many tracks have been closed because the noise was too much for the neighbors----the majority of the complainers having move close to a track knowing full well what they were getting into. Within 10 miles of me there is a big time drag strip that hosts a national race every year in August and weekly drag races, a 1/3 mile dirt track that races every Saturday night for 4 months, a motor cross track that races every Friday night and a National Guard training camp that shoots off the big guns that rattle windows for miles at any time of the day or night. Summer weekends can be pretty noisy around here at times but I love it. Every week there is a letter to the editor in the local paper complaining about some track making too much noise. There are even idiots who complain about the Camp making too much noise. All these crybabies are the ones who have moved her in the last 10 years or so and should have realized that the Drag Strip and the Dirt Track have been here since the 60's and the Camp has been here forever.

Urban sprawl is killing many tracks that were built out in the country away from people. Now the new neighbors complain about the noise from the track that was there before them. There is a short track about 3 miles away from me that I can hear in summer with my windows open but it doesn't bother me.