Gay Rights

rod

Retired 22 years
Re: Civil Rights

It’s going to be a remarkable year when it comes to Civil Rights. First time ever, there will be a UPS employee driving with a beard on, I heard in Dallas, TX and benefits for Gay couples. :thumbup1:
Oh please tell us the name of this bearded gay women. :) Texas? Isn't that the home of steers and ______?

dammor

It's a sad time when ambulance chasing lawyers can dictate the way companys should run their business. Especially companys that have been around as long as UPS has.

This country is being eaten alive from within the same way Rome was. The disease is called Moral Decay.

Oh My, You sound like Jim Baker.

upsgrunt

For the record, I'm not touching this thread with the proverbial 10 foot pole! "This private feels that any answer he gives will be wrong and the senior drill instructor will beat him harder if he reverses himself, sir.":w00t:

Overpaid Union Thug

Oh My, You sound like Jim Baker.

I don't know much about him. So I guess you could say I'm "ignorant" about him. But gays...NO. I'm not ignorant about them. It's impossible to not know anything about them in today's society. I hear kids are even having to learn about them in school now. Wow times have changed. Like I said before...I don't have a problem with the individual. It's their lifestyle I don't like. I have a friend that is gay and he knows my position. Nor do I have a problem with them recieving benefits. I never said that. What I have a problem with is them, or anyone else, trying to dictate how a company runs their business while that company is obeying the laws. The funny thing is that the issue of these couples being gay isn't even what really set me off on this thread. It was actually the thought of these so called civil rights lawyers. I'm sick of these whackos going after companys to fatten their pockets under the guise of discrimination. It's getting out of hand. These lawyers have been popping up on message boards, this one not to be excluded, all over the internet. It's not about civil rights with these guys. It's about $$$$.

W

westsideworma

You might not want to post that here, most people are very conservative on this board.

Personally, I couldn't care one way or the other, if its allowed ok, if not ok, isn't going to ruin my day or keep me up at night either way

oper8tor

The article was not well written. The state of New Jersey is asking the teamsters to provide insurance for gay teamsters, UPS already provides insurance for non-union domestic partners.

HazMatMan

Are these gay people married?? If not, why should they get benefits for their partner?? What about a man and a woman dating?? living together for years and years?? Should they get the benefits??

HazMatMan

Corzine is an as*hole anyway, not wearing a seat belt almost killed him, now he goes and makes a commercial about how important it is to wear a seat belt, no :censored2: as*hole.. That cop who was speeding for no reason and caused the accident should be stripped of his badge.. And yes, I wear my seat belt ALL THE TIME.. And yes, I do have a grudge against the police.. FIGHT THE POWER!! off topic sorry... just had to vent....

over9five

Staff member
"over9five, gays are not "sick deviants" who "should be asking for help." Grow up."

I disagree. Homosexuality is a mental disorder. There is something wrong in their brain that needs to be fixed, not accommodated!

"Whatever... you all can hate as much as you want... "
"..the only thing I really hate is the intolerance and ignorance.."

And I take offense when someone calls me hateful, intolerant, ignorant, and a bigot because I disagree with them. Is that how you defend your argument? By calling me names??? I think you should grow up.

PMSair

It’s going to be a remarkable year when it comes to Civil Rights. First time ever, there will be a UPS employee driving with a beard on, I heard in Dallas, TX and benefits for Gay couples. :thumbup1:

I think its all great i cant wait till I can wear my beard again and get an insurence card for the person i share my life struggles with.

HazMatMan

Most of you are offensive on several points. Firstly, look at this:

Gallup Poll. May 10-13, 2007. N=1,003 adults nationwide. MoE ± 3.
"As you may know, there has been considerable discussion in the news regarding the rights of homosexual men and women. In general, do you think homosexuals should or should not have equal rights in terms of job opportunities?"
Should 89%
Should Not 8%
Depends 1%
Unsure 2%
"Do you think marriages between same-sex couples should or should not be recognized by the law as valid, with the same rights as traditional marriages?"
Should 46%
Should Not53%
Unsure 1%

Source: www.pollingreport.com

So only 53% of Americans are against gay marriage, not 75%.

Secondly, the law is the law. If the law provides for domestic partnership benefits, and DPs do include straight people also, then the law must be followed.
quote]

I was never polled.

over9five

Staff member
"I was never polled."

I always think that about polling. Millions and millions of polls are taken, but I've never been polled. I've spoken to friends of this, and they've never been polled either.

How can this be?? Who do they actually poll?? (My theory is that they actually poll nobody).

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Polls are often targeted to a select audience to get a certain response. Thats why they are so inaccurate. The poll I was talking about that said 75% of people disapproved of Gay Marriage was taken a couple of years ago and had to do with states starting to work on laws to protect traditional marriage. Also, the way poll questions are worded are very misleading too. I was polled once, but was hung up on before the end of the poll because of an answer I gave.

This is a discussion board, and I have previously posted in other threads that I was pro-life and pro-marriage. That is not being bigoted, hate filled, or ignorant, that is what my moral standards are. It seems hypocritical to me that people with the liberal mindset always start calling other people names when they disagree with them. Different people have different ideas about morality, mine are based on a Christian upbringing. I don't conveniently ignore certain parts of the Bible that don't support what I think. I also realize that society has changed (usually for the worse) since it was written a couple of thousand years ago. Gay Marriage and Abortion are hot topics that often bring out a lot of emotion.

beatupbrown

about 500 species have been found to display homosexual behavior.

The researches made on animals also confirm the hypothesis that homosexuality is innate.existing in, belonging to, or determined by factors present in an individual from birth .

Overpaid Union Thug

"over9five, gays are not "sick deviants" who "should be asking for help." Grow up."

I disagree. Homosexuality is a mental disorder. There is something wrong in their brain that needs to be fixed, not accommodated!

"Whatever... you all can hate as much as you want... "
"..the only thing I really hate is the intolerance and ignorance.."

And I take offense when someone calls me hateful, intolerant, ignorant, and a bigot because I disagree with them. Is that how you defend your argument? By calling me names??? I think you should grow up.

Agreed on both points. Concerning the second point...slapping the word "bigot" on someone is a standard tactic these days. Nevermind that the majority of the country is against gay marriage. Otherwise there would be more than one state that recognizes it. And the accusations that people are ignorant is laughable too. How could anyone in this country be ignorant of the issue when it is being shoved down our throats on a national scale? And intolerant? Not quite. Other than stating my opinion about the issue I have done nothing in the real world that would put me in the intolerant category. I have a friend that is gay. Would an intolerant, ignorant, hatefull bigot have a gay person as a friend? I don't think so.

over9five

Staff member
"Otherwise there would be more than one state that recognizes it."

Not even ONE legitimate state. The government of The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts would not allow the people to vote on this issue.

civilrightsfighter

UPS Civil Rights Fighter
rod:Oh please tell us the name of this bearded gay women. Texas? Isn't that the home of steers and ______?civilrightsfighter:No. He is a guy and he has a full grown beard. And I found out through my union rep that he will be driving in about a week or two. He was given peemission because of his religious belief.

aspenleaf

I don't recognize Civil Unions to be the same as traditional marriage. Gay couples cannot have children naturally, so to me, they cannot get married. I don't care if they have some ceremony devoting themselves to each other, it just isn't the same. If some company wants to give them health benefits, that should be up to that company. The last time I read a national poll on this issue, 75% of respondents were against Gay marriage.

I can't have children naturally either so does that mean my marriage is null and void? I understand that a lot of people are against Gay marriage but I have known some great Gay couples that were far better suited to be married than some straight couples I have known.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I found this....

Polls show that religiosity is a factor in the opposition to gay marriage. According to a July 2006 survey by the Pew Forum, Americans oppose gay marriage 56% to 35%, but those with a high level of religious commitment oppose it by a substantially wider margin of 75% to 18%. Opposition among white evangelicals is even higher, at 79%. A majority of Catholics (53%) and black Protestants (74%), as well as a plurality of white mainline Protestants (47%), also oppose gay marriage. Only among seculars does a majority (63%) express support. However, sizable majorities of white mainline Protestants (66%), Catholics (63%) and seculars (78%) favor allowing homosexual couples to enter into civil unions granting many of the legal rights of marriage. As with gay marriage, white evangelicals (66%), black Protestants (62%) and frequent church attenders (60%) stand out for their opposition to civil unions. The general public narrowly supports civil unions (54% to 42%).