GDP UP

wkmac

WK--
That the wars are unfunded is certainly true. I think more to the point of my point of view was that Bush and his team didn't even include those expenditures in their "budgets". That is simply disingenuous, misguiding, and wrong.

I don't disagree at all but if Bush was as you said, "disingenuous, misguiding, and wrong" then what would that mean of Obama if he broke his campaign promise to not do the same thing? Oppps, check the record from April 2009' where President Obama in fact went to Congress for an $88 bil war supplemental that by the time it came back to his desk in June 2009' it was over $100 bil, in no small part to republicans I might add. Not even they are willing to push to cut gov't even it the cut is used to pay for a worthless war!

Let's see, what did I say again?

When it comes to unfunded wars, I don't think you've got much room to chastise the republicans yourself and now I see our Noble Prize winner for Peace, President O-Bomb-A is now out to jack up the nuclear option. Your messiah is bringing hope to all the wrong places for what he pretends to be!

And I still stand behind that!

All smart arsing aside on my part, I do think you are more honest than many in the elephant crowd so I'll give you that and admire you for it. And you mentioned in another post about Hoover not intervening after the 29' crash to avoid the Great Depression. You need to seriously read the record as in fact Hoover did intervene in a massive way and it was his start that FDR picked up on that he made his own to sow the mythology of what became the New Deal. Ironically it's become a case study because of Bush doing much of what Hoover did and then like FDR to Hoover so is Obama to Bush.

If you like, here is a 5 minute YouTube quickie on the subject with the facts pretty good but the guy isn't a geek when it comes to sound quality.

If you are willing for a little more exhaustive consideration, the late economist and Professor of Economics Murray Rothbard gives due diligence to the whole Hoover/FDR "New Deal." Just as George Bush was no fiscal conservative if you will, neither was Hoover and in fact both were interventionists of the worst type and big spenders at that. Remember, democrats traditonally had come from a Jeffersonian ideal and not til the era of FDR did democrats start acting like republicans.
:wink2:

av8torntn

I don't disagree at all but if Bush was as you said, "disingenuous, misguiding, and wrong" then what would that mean of Obama if he broke his campaign promise to not do the same thing? Oppps, check the record from April 2009' where President Obama in fact went to Congress for an $88 bil war supplemental that by the time it came back to his desk in June 2009' it was over $100 bil, in no small part to republicans I might add. Not even they are willing to push to cut gov't even it the cut is used to pay for a worthless war!

The problem is the Constitution mandates that the federal government provide for the defense of the states. Your worthless wars are just a drop in the bucket to your worthless entitlement programs which are not mandated by our Constitution. Just my opinion we'd be much better off without some of those social programs and have much more freedom.

bbsam

Staff member
Thank you, Wk. I will take your assertion that Hoover/FDR is a case study in Bush/Obama. But in doing so the question arises, "Why all the doom and gloom from the Right?" According to Robert Reich on NPR last week, government debt spending under FDR I believe rose to 120% of GDP. We didn't fall apart as a nation. Current unchecked government spending would reach 70% by 2020. My numbers may be off a little, but the point remains the same. The debt is not the number one problem right now and the government in a sluggish economy remains the "buyer of last resort". I will even go so far as to say that maybe even without government intervention maybe the country would have pulled out of the Great Depression. Maybe we'd pull out of this recession without government intervention. But (and this is a huge Rush Limbaugh sized but), life would become far more painful and far more difficult for alot of the citizens of this country. There is nothing wrong with the government helping to alleviate some of that pain no matter how draconian one's reading of the Constitution may be.

bbsam

Staff member
Barry has not even spent the first 800 billion yet but is already working on his next stimulus "jobs" bill. This will also be a stimulus bill but will not be called one since the first stimulus bill was such a dud.
Do you listen to yourself? Are you conflicted? The first sentence states "has not even spent the first 800 billion". How then in the second can you claim that "the first stimulus bill was such a dud"? Let me clean up the question: How can the first stimulus be a dud if it hasn't yet been implemented? I think you're tripping over your hatred of all things Obama. It's swelling like a tumor. Might want to go seek that "professional help".:happy-very:

moreluck

golden ticket member
The first stimulus was to help create jobs.......unemployment at 10% is worse than it was. The prez. and vice prez. throw around fairy tale numbers of "jobs saved". What the hell is a "job saved"? They are grabbing these numbers from you know where. The patients are running the asylum!!

The first stimulus was to help create jobs.......unemployment at 10% is worse than it was. The prez. and vice prez. throw around fairy tale numbers of "jobs saved". What the hell is a "job saved"? They are grabbing these numbers from you know where. The patients are running the asylum!!

A saved job is now defined as any person who received any money from the stimulus bill. So I believe that a contractor that is paving a road and has 50 employees. Now that was 50 saved jobs. A big scam.

Same scam as the unemployment rate. We lose 20,000 jobs in January and the unemployment rate drops to 9.7%?

wkmac

The problem is the Constitution mandates that the federal government provide for the defense of the states. My corporate wars are just a drop in the bucket to your worthless entitlement programs which are not mandated by our Constitution. Just my opinion we'd be much better off without some of those social programs and have much more freedom.

Ok, if you're gonna force me to be honest then I think you should be honest too. Honesty is the best policy!
:happy-very:

wkmac

Thank you, Wk. I will take your assertion that Hoover/FDR is a case study in Bush/Obama. But in doing so the question arises, "Why all the doom and gloom from the Right?" According to Robert Reich on NPR last week, government debt spending under FDR I believe rose to 120% of GDP. We didn't fall apart as a nation. Current unchecked government spending would reach 70% by 2020. My numbers may be off a little, but the point remains the same. The debt is not the number one problem right now and the government in a sluggish economy remains the "buyer of last resort". I will even go so far as to say that maybe even without government intervention maybe the country would have pulled out of the Great Depression. Maybe we'd pull out of this recession without government intervention. But (and this is a huge Rush Limbaugh sized but), life would become far more painful and far more difficult for alot of the citizens of this country. There is nothing wrong with the government helping to alleviate some of that pain no matter how draconian one's reading of the Constitution may be.

Your welcome bbsam. Although I came from the "right" if you will, I'm not of what is called "the right" so they may have a different take other than why I'm concerned about the present path. You said:

According to Robert Reich on NPR last week, government debt spending under FDR I believe rose to 120% of GDP. We didn't fall apart as a nation.

and you are right we didn't fall but first off, what is GDP? The short simple answer is it's the measure of the value of all goods and services produced within a country in a period of a year. But what do we use as the means to measure that value with? The dollar so to understand the real value and what we have to work with, would it not behove us to also consider the value of that dollar (or another fun approach)of which we use to measure GDP? When FDR did what he did, the value of the dollar was vastly stronger then than it is today with current actual value around a nickel and as these created debts begin to transition into real dollars and out into circulation, inflation will rear it's ugly head.

If you the private person go out and spend well beyond your means, what are your options when it comes time to pay the bill? Well if you can make the minimum payments, over time the debt can be retired or you can get banks to increase your credit limits and manipulate new credit lines to mask the underlying reality for a time, you can get a second job to retire the debt or make the current standard workable, you can get a raise (inflate) your salary or wages or you can re-structure the debt and take the hit. Gov't is using 2 of the above with one being more effective than the other. The more effective is seeking greater and greater credit limits, raise the debt ceiling, but the other has thus far elluded them. That is inflation.

Part of the reason inflation hasn't kicked in is that the private sector has been retiring debt as the gov't scambles to increase it thus maintaining a balance on the money supply and checking inflation in the face of vast increases in the national debt. "WAY TO GO AMERICA!" In light of this paying down debt, reducing the money supply (making dollar stronger in value) and thus pressuring de-flation, falling prices, falling wages, falling tax revs, falling GDP thus effecting that prized GDP to debt ratio and most important a stronger dollar actually effects the ability of gov't to service the very debt it created in our nam. :surprised: Still the same ole level of debt, I hope it becomes clear why the gov't is cannibalising the economy and the nation's future to keep it's own shell game afloat. Either way, the credit game will run out as the dollar reaches closer to zero, one reason many are fleeing the dollar now and when the borrowing stops, just as an airplane reaches an apex in a vertical ascent and falls backwards, so too will this shell game. It did in the private sector and so shall it also in the public arena.

Doug French wrote a pretty good basic article on GDP worth consideration IMO and Frank Shostak put it best in his August 2001' article on GDP when he said the following:

We can thus conclude that the GDP framework is an empty abstraction devoid of any link to the real world. Notwithstanding this, the GDP framework is in big demand by governments and central bank officials since it provides justification for their interference with businesses. It also provides an illusory frame of reference to assess the performance of government officials.

Also the gov't is using debt on future generations to transfer capital (wealth in the form of future tax burden) to today's corporations and yes private persons too as a means to pump up and get the economy rolling. From your POV, Obama and the democrats are trying to do good and help people. But consider this, where does this stand morally and ethically to in effect enslave a yet born or even concieved child with a debt of which we get the money today and they will have to labor tomorrow to pay the bill? How much harder will they have to work, the effect on the standard of living when they are transferring ever larger amounts of capital out of the private business sector just for debt service?

In order to live the good life, I go to Africa and enslave a bunch of folks and by force bring them over to work my fields (pay my burden) so I can enjoy a good life beyond my own ability as a sole individual to maintain/sustain just on my own. Is there really any difference on a moral or ethical level when you actually boil it all down or is it just easier to avoid the root philsophical and moral questions and cast it all aside as nothing more than political hyperbole? Stick your head in that political hole but the bottom line it is morally and ethically wrong no matter how you spin it. To future generations, we are nothing more than welfare queens!

Democrats do indeed IMHO violate all manner and princple of the ideal of the true Free Market, Laissez-Faire but even in their dishonesty, they've never pretended to be something they are not (well to a degree :wink2:) but republicans, the "right" if you will are certainly another matter or at least no better. Using economic law and truths applied to what Mises called "human action" IMO exposes the so-called republican right for what they are and what they have always been. I knew what the democrats were and by 1982' it was clear what republicans were so I departed them both as a whole and never looked back and what use to be an empty room that I stood is really starting to fill up with each passing day. The music is coming to an end, the chairs are reducing at ever fastening pace and the comedic irony is that both sides fight for the last chair believing they will stand atop the pinnacle of power but in fact that last chair will seat who everyone will focus as who to blame and then off the head of the poor dis-illusioned soul. Remember the warning of the Roman slave to the Roman general riding in chariot in grand percession? Whispering "all glory is fleeting!" Watch the folks in power as they more and more start to understand what is happening, bail out of the game and head for the exits. When this starts to further accelerate towards critical mass, then the whole thing will fall on it's face as they are on the inside looking out.

Also, if you sit down, shed the party loyality BS and honestly look at the historical record, you'll realize gov't actually causes the very misery they claim they are here to help. Once you begin to understand this everything else changes. I may not agree but enjoy your POV and the fact you are a FedExer makes it even more fun to watch!

tieguy

Banned
Your welcome bbsam. Although I came from the "right" if you will, I'm not of what is called "the right" so they may have a different take other than why I'm concerned about the present path. You said:

and you are right we didn't fall but first off, what is GDP? The short simple answer is it's the measure of the value of all goods and services produced within a country in a period of a year. But what do we use as the means to measure that value with? The dollar so to understand the real value and what we have to work with, would it not behove us to also consider the value of that dollar (or another fun approach)of which we use to measure GDP? When FDR did what he did, the value of the dollar was vastly stronger then than it is today with current actual value around a nickel and as these created debts begin to transition into real dollars and out into circulation, inflation will rear it's ugly head.

If you the private person go out and spend well beyond your means, what are your options when it comes time to pay the bill? Well if you can make the minimum payments, over time the debt can be retired or you can get banks to increase your credit limits and manipulate new credit lines to mask the underlying reality for a time, you can get a second job to retire the debt or make the current standard workable, you can get a raise (inflate) your salary or wages or you can re-structure the debt and take the hit. Gov't is using 2 of the above with one being more effective than the other. The more effective is seeking greater and greater credit limits, raise the debt ceiling, but the other has thus far elluded them. That is inflation.

Part of the reason inflation hasn't kicked in is that the private sector has been retiring debt as the gov't scambles to increase it thus maintaining a balance on the money supply and checking inflation in the face of vast increases in the national debt. "WAY TO GO AMERICA!" In light of this paying down debt, reducing the money supply (making dollar stronger in value) and thus pressuring de-flation, falling prices, falling wages, falling tax revs, falling GDP thus effecting that prized GDP to debt ratio and most important a stronger dollar actually effects the ability of gov't to service the very debt it created in our nam. :surprised: Still the same ole level of debt, I hope it becomes clear why the gov't is cannibalising the economy and the nation's future to keep it's own shell game afloat. Either way, the credit game will run out as the dollar reaches closer to zero, one reason many are fleeing the dollar now and when the borrowing stops, just as an airplane reaches an apex in a vertical ascent and falls backwards, so too will this shell game. It did in the private sector and so shall it also in the public arena.

Doug French wrote a pretty good basic article on GDP worth consideration IMO and Frank Shostak put it best in his August 2001' article on GDP when he said the following:

Also the gov't is using debt on future generations to transfer capital (wealth in the form of future tax burden) to today's corporations and yes private persons too as a means to pump up and get the economy rolling. From your POV, Obama and the democrats are trying to do good and help people. But consider this, where does this stand morally and ethically to in effect enslave a yet born or even concieved child with a debt of which we get the money today and they will have to labor tomorrow to pay the bill? How much harder will they have to work, the effect on the standard of living when they are transferring ever larger amounts of capital out of the private business sector just for debt service?

In order to live the good life, I go to Africa and enslave a bunch of folks and by force bring them over to work my fields (pay my burden) so I can enjoy a good life beyond my own ability as a sole individual to maintain/sustain just on my own. Is there really any difference on a moral or ethical level when you actually boil it all down or is it just easier to avoid the root philsophical and moral questions and cast it all aside as nothing more than political hyperbole? Stick your head in that political hole but the bottom line it is morally and ethically wrong no matter how you spin it. To future generations, we are nothing more than welfare queens!

Democrats do indeed IMHO violate all manner and princple of the ideal of the true Free Market, Laissez-Faire but even in their dishonesty, they've never pretended to be something they are not (well to a degree :wink2:) but republicans, the "right" if you will are certainly another matter or at least no better. Using economic law and truths applied to what Mises called "human action" IMO exposes the so-called republican right for what they are and what they have always been. I knew what the democrats were and by 1982' it was clear what republicans were so I departed them both as a whole and never looked back and what use to be an empty room that I stood is really starting to fill up with each passing day. The music is coming to an end, the chairs are reducing at ever fastening pace and the comedic irony is that both sides fight for the last chair believing they will stand atop the pinnacle of power but in fact that last chair will seat who everyone will focus as who to blame and then off the head of the poor dis-illusioned soul. Remember the warning of the Roman slave to the Roman general riding in chariot in grand percession? Whispering "all glory is fleeting!" Watch the folks in power as they more and more start to understand what is happening, bail out of the game and head for the exits. When this starts to further accelerate towards critical mass, then the whole thing will fall on it's face as they are on the inside looking out.

Also, if you sit down, shed the party loyality BS and honestly look at the historical record, you'll realize gov't actually causes the very misery they claim they are here to help. Once you begin to understand this everything else changes. I may not agree but enjoy your POV and the fact you are a FedExer makes it even more fun to watch!

wkmac you made some jabs here at those who responded to backsides troll post as being hooked fish? There are different forms of trollery. A liberals attempt to detour the conversation away from the bad results Obama and congress are delivering to stroke your desire to be the intellectual political pundit here is realistically your hook.:)

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Same scam as the unemployment rate. We lose 20,000 jobs in January and the unemployment rate drops to 9.7%?
That's because those numbers are generated by two separate reports. Job loss numbers are drawn from the payroll report, which computes job gains/losses by looking at the payroll tax filings of public companies. The unemployment rate comes from the household survey which includes farm workers, the self employed, and workers in private homes, none of which show up on the payroll report.

bbsam

Staff member
Actually from where I come from, the patients do run the asylum. It's been found that we know better what's going on than the doctors.