General President's health failing?

How long did you have to wait to go FT? Perspective is everything here.

If you got hired PT in your late teens/early 20's and went FT in your mid-20's/early 30's, then you have a different perspective than someone having to wait 10-15+ years to go FT and put off starting a family/buying a home/having some financial security until they can do so.
I bought my first house at 21 as a part time upser. I also worked a full time job. I got married when I was still part time as well.

I bought my first house at 21 as a part time upser. I also worked a full time job. I got married when I was still part time as well.
I wish I would have performed the trifecta and had the kids when I get as part time as I'd be younger earlier in their lives but my wife and I wanted to travel. Part time ups had nothing to do with it.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I wish I would have performed the trifecta and had the kids when I get as part time as I'd be younger earlier in their lives but my wife and I wanted to travel. Part time ups had nothing to do with it.
It's no wonder you didn't have time to finish high school and can't write.
You are truly an inspiration to us all.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
It's no wonder you didn't have time to finish high school and can't write.
You are truly an inspiration to us all.

It just goes to show ya....

A "degree" in english literature.... will only go so far.

"Talking over" the members will not produce the desired results.

You owe an "elected" official an apology.

-Bug-

Last edited:

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

My wife and I own our home (well, the banks owns it, but you get the idea.. it helps that she works and makes pretty good bank where she's at) and I've been working side gigs since before we got engaged. Not everyone is as lucky as we are, though.

How long did it take you to go FT?

-Bug-
I graduated from high school and would never want an apology. That guy was a good life lesson. He taught me that guys will stab you in the back at all costs because they are jealous. Friends are happy for others when they move up others are jaded jealous guys with good punctuation grammar and spelling. Jimmy SR dropped out of school in the 8th grade and is arguably the greatest union man ever.

First he was embraced by the members then elected. Once his own members were behind him the world was his for the taking. He never had the luxury/humiliation of losing five elections. Neither have I.

My wife and I own our home (well, the banks owns it, but you get the idea.. it helps that she works and makes pretty good bank where she's at) and I've been working side gigs since before we got engaged. Not everyone is as lucky as we are, though.

How long did it take you to go FT?
Five and a half years. I won the job early on a grievance. Others close in seniority waited anothe 6 to 8 years. See I might have misspelled and had some punctuation errors in the said grievance but it got me a full time job.

Appointed and then elected by 91% of the vote. Then a white ballot. The sore loser is the epitome of a loser. He is angry. He is jaded. He is beaten over and over and over. He wanted to win every time but the members his very own peers didn't think highly enough of him to actually vote him in. It actually kind of sad. Not for me but for him. Just imagine your own members telling you that they don't want you to represent them multiple times. You go home to your family and friends the loser. You go back to work the loser. That really must suck.

Anyway elected and appointed and then a white ballot. That's a fact.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Jimmy SR dropped out of school in the 8th grade and is arguably the greatest union man ever.

First he was embraced by the members then elected. Once his own members were behind him the world was his for the taking.
He was a convicted felon, who lead our union into involvement with organized crime, subsequently spending four years in prison and was banned from the union.
His "disappearance" was an epic end to one of the biggest falls from grace in our nations history, rivaled only by that of Richard Nixon, the man who pardoned him.

He never had the luxury/humiliation of losing five elections. Neither have I.
He suffered a much greater humiliation than any failed local candidate, and you have never won or lost anything, it was given to you.
I had a similar opportunity when offered a BA appointment, but I declined.
The situations were not parallel, had they been, I may have accepted.
Again congratulations on your gig.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Anyway elected and appointed and then a white ballot.
You were appointed as an alternate steward, then again as a Trustee, elected Trustee uncontested due to your slate affiliation(that's a white ballot), then again on a white ballot delegates election.
You never beat anybody in an election, that's a fact.

I think you will one day though, I think we both will.

Brown Spider

-Bug-

That's quite a sense of entitlement you've got there Bug. It's been some time since I've seen a union official with the attitude of the British Royal Family. Reminds me of the GEB of the 1980's.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I was and agree 100% with what he said.

As was I. I was a casual driver then. No vacations, sick, or rovers. For 10 yrs. For 16 an hr. Then when I gained seniority. I lost 2 dollars an hr. You know a promotion demotion. Then 2 yrs later I went to 16 an hr. No progression. With 1 week vacation. So now with 28 plus yrs. I still only get 4 weeks vacation. So since I've been here. The union has been concession galore. That is only half of my story. Other half is during casual yrs. Each. (4) contract. Another pt was put in as I was next to go full time. They were only 2 or 3 yr contracts then. Not like the last 3. 5-5-7

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Why did you decline?
My Local is an absolute mess.
There is a huge divide among the eboard and there is very little leadership in the wake of 2 different slates having candidates elected in the last cycle.
Our ST is a pathological liar and a complete fraud, who I will never again be a part of anything he is involved with.

For those of us UPSer's who aspire to serve as full time local officials in the Central Region, we risk sacrificing pension credits and health benefits.

If I run and win, I will accept the position despite the results and who else wins.
An appointment however, needs to be a good fit for me to accept and this scenario just wasn't, so I declined.

@Lead Belly and myself pick at each other and I'm not sure if he's serious or not, but I'm for sure just playing.
His Local seems pretty solid and he has always been very active and squarely behind them, so for him, it was a no-brainer to accept.
I was and continue to be happy for him.

I've made some mistakes in the past 2 election cycles, but have learned a lot.
So, I'll continue to grind and bide my time, until I find my spot

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
If remember correctly, there were two whole regions that weren't getting TeamCare forced upon them so it passed by about 3000 votes.
I have to believe also that there were many people who fell victim to the hard sell from the union and were not provided all of the details to make an educated decision.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

My Local is an absolute mess.
There is a huge divide among the eboard and there is very little leadership in the wake of 2 different slates having candidates elected in the last cycle.
Our ST is a pathological liar and a complete fraud, who I will never again be a part of anything he is involved with.

For those of us UPSer's who aspire to serve as full time local officials in the Central Region, we risk sacrificing pension credits and health benefits.

If I run and win, I will accept the position despite the results and who else wins.
An appointment however, needs to be a good fit for me to accept and this scenario just wasn't, so I declined.

@Lead Belly and myself pick at each other and I'm not sure if he's serious or not, but I'm for sure just playing.
His Local seems pretty solid and he has always been very active and squarely behind them, so for him, it was a no-brainer to accept.
I was and continue to be happy for him.

I've made some mistakes in the past 2 election cycles, but have learned a lot.
So, I'll continue to grind and bide my time, until I find my spot
Are you saying that if you were appointed you would feel a little obligated to fall in line and do as told,but if you were elected you can do whatever you feel is right......or you just want to win an election so nobody can say it was given to you and not earned