German Shepherds

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
First, I was a K-9 handler and worked German Shepherds. They are one of the smartest breeds. You state that you love dogs, Rotties, Pit Bulls and Dobermans are no different. German Shepherds are fear bitters. Which means that when they get scared they are likely to bit. I would not suggest the use of a mag light as 1 you could get sued by the owner. 2nd more than likely you would just cause yourself to get attacked. I would suggest that you back up or drive the entire driveway if you fear for your safety.

Im not disputing that German Shepherd are smart, and there are several on my route that are friendly to me. But as a general rule, they are a breed of dog whose body language I am unable to read. I can look right at a pit bull and know immediately whether or not it is aggressive. Not so with shepherds. Ive had Shepherds act friendly and then turn on me for no reason. I simply dont trust them. As far as this particular situation goes, backing down the driveway or turning around in it are not possible. Im not worried about getting sued by the owner because the only way I would ever hit any dog is in self defense.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The route I made book on over the summer was a "up in the woods" route. It had loads of outdoor dogs roaming around yards. Beep horn for owner, if they don't come ni1 and loose dog in the remarks column. If it doesn't change next day, bagged and placed as close as I can safely get.

If you already know that you are going to bag and DR the pkg why would you make a second attempt?

JL 0513

So what's the best way to sheet a package that you cannot deliver because of a raging dog that won't even let you step out of the truck?

I had to do this once. I sheeted as "other" and typed in "dog". I got a text back later saying don't use other and to void and re-sheet. I forgot what they said to do but it didn't describe the actual situation.

If I know an owner is home, I'll beep the horn and wait, but owner wasn't home and this dog was ready to tear me apart.

Any suggestions?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had a situation like this when I had my country run. I backed up as close as I could to the front door, bagged the package, quickly opened one of the barn-style rear doors and tossed the package on to the porch. The look on the dog's face was priceless.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I had a situation like this when I had my country run. I backed up as close as I could to the front door, bagged the package, quickly opened one of the barn-style rear doors and tossed the package on to the porch. The look on the dog's face was priceless.

​+1 dogs may be able to get in the side doors but they are t jumping in the back.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
So what's the best way to sheet a package that you cannot deliver because of a raging dog that won't even let you step out of the truck?

I had to do this once. I sheeted as "other" and typed in "dog". I got a text back later saying don't use other and to void and re-sheet. I forgot what they said to do but it didn't describe the actual situation.

If I know an owner is home, I'll beep the horn and wait, but owner wasn't home and this dog was ready to tear me apart.

Any suggestions?
Not In 1. Dog in yard in remarks column.
Give parcel to clerk and have them call consignee and explain that attempt will be made the next day if dog is restrained.

MDupsernj

If you already know that you are going to bag and DR the pkg why would you make a second attempt?

The ni1 is if I can't get close enough to house. I'd rather not leave a package near the street. I'm with you tho I want to get rid of pkg first try. I had a bad dog on a route last peak and customer gave me the ok to leave with neighbor so that was nice. I even got it in writing.

gingerkat

Im not disputing that German Shepherd are smart, and there are several on my route that are friendly to me. But as a general rule, they are a breed of dog whose body language I am unable to read.
That fella is smart. Smart because he is disguising his body language to fool you. He is guarding his home & owner. Smart move on backing down. My dad was an Army MP for almost all of his years in the service and worked with and trained GS's, when he retired he never allowed us to have one as a pet. He loved them, but he didn't want those dogs around his kids.

Plus that dog runs #3 on the bite category of dog breeds and most home owners insurance either will flat out refuse to carry them or will jack up policy sky high because of the dangerous nature.

soberups

That fella is smart. Smart because he is disguising his body language to fool you. He is guarding his home & owner. Smart move on backing down. My dad was an Army MP for almost all of his years in the service and worked with and trained GS's, when he retired he never allowed us to have one as a pet. He loved them, but he didn't want those dogs around his kids.

Plus that dog runs #3 on the bite category of dog breeds and most home owners insurance either will flat out refuse to carry them or will jack up policy sky high because of the dangerous nature.

+1

There are a total of 8 pit bulls running loose (on the owners property) on my route, and every single one of them is a lick-o-matic lap dog that jumps up into the truck to greet and slobber all over me as soon as I park. There are at least twice as many German Shepherds as that on my route...and of those there are only 3 that can even be remotely described as friendly. They are simply not an affectionate breed.

cb1969

I know what you are saying. Their body language is due to them being fear bitters, their natural slanted stance and their tales between their legs till they a comfortable is what makes them hard to read. Their neck hair will stand up in a very noticeable way. They turned because they were scared and were not properly socialized and there is just no way to know for sure. Always put your safety first and be safe. If a Shepherd runs at you the best thing is to stop don't stare a talk sweet to the dog and get the owners attention if possible. Never put you hands out with the palms facing the dog always palms in to let them smell you.

Im not disputing that German Shepherd are smart, and there are several on my route that are friendly to me. But as a general rule, they are a breed of dog whose body language I am unable to read. I can look right at a pit bull and know immediately whether or not it is aggressive. Not so with shepherds. Ive had Shepherds act friendly and then turn on me for no reason. I simply dont trust them. As far as this particular situation goes, backing down the driveway or turning around in it are not possible. Im not worried about getting sued by the owner because the only way I would ever hit any dog is in self defense.

didyousheetit

+1

There are a total of 8 pit bulls running loose (on the owners property) on my route, and every single one of them is a lick-o-matic lap dog that jumps up into the truck to greet and slobber all over me as soon as I park. There are at least twice as many German Shepherds as that on my route...and of those there are only 3 that can even be remotely described as friendly. They are simply not an affectionate breed.
I am the proud owner of a 3 year old german shepherd dog. With that being said my worst bite came from a gsd that lunge at my face I only stopped it by putting arm up still have nice scar. Had another corner me at the front door after I gave it a treat and now I don't deliver to any of them any more. What I have read about them and learned from my own, which I have had much training with, is that they are very loyal to their family and their breeding is to protect their family at all cost. Mine will just sit and watch the mailman make his rounds until he hits our sidewalk. Then she goes nuts tries to get him any way possible, then the second he leaves our sidewalk she sits down and just watches him deliver the rest of the cul-de-sac. But when I come home she just rolls on her back curls her legs in and shows me how much of a big baby she is. On the flip side there is gang activity coming into our neighborhood and every one stays away from her.

MethodsMan

+1

So off base on that last sentence. They can be the most affectionate dog around.

soberups

So off base on that last sentence. They can be the most affectionate dog around.

I wont dispute that they can be affectionate...there is one on my route that is actually quite friendly to me....but my in my 26 years of experience in dealing with other peoples dogs as a UPS driver I have found that the breed as a whole tends to not be particularly friendly or affectionate. I find the same to be true for Chows. On the opposite end of the spectrum, it is the Labradors, Golden Retrievers and Pit Bulls that wind up spending the most amount of time up in my truck and leaving the highest quantity of doggie slobber on my hands and face.