Getting a suspension letter for misloads?

klolx

I haven't misloaded at all last week but I got 3 misloads so far this week and today one of the sup with a union steward talked to me and she said that she will be giving me a suspension letter but won't give me a discharge letter. My belt sup, which I'm really close to said to not stress about it and explained to me all the things I needed to know like going to the panel and stuff. Any advice, tips or anything? I've already got a warning letter before btw. Thanks!

barnyard

KTM rider
Just shrug your shoulders and take the time off. Just before I went FT, there was a 'no misload' push on my preload. Pretty much everyone got warning letters, pretty much no one got days off. We begged for the days off, begged. At some point, someone saw the folly and gave up on that.

rod

Retired 22 years
Offer to take a friday or a monday off (or both if thats the case). Long weekends are the best.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Than don't worry about. Do your best nobody is perfect. If your keep misloading package your going to find yourself in the primary unloading trailers which isn't a bad thing.

I have a new preloader because my previous one had too many misloads. He was transferred to the unload but does cover for preloaders who call in or are on vacation. He loads my car and two cars which deliver to a town 1 hour from the center so it is a pain in the butt to make service on misloads on my car for that town.

rocket man

I haven't misloaded at all last week but I got 3 misloads so far this week and today one of the sup with a union steward talked to me and she said that she will be giving me a suspension letter but won't give me a discharge letter. My belt sup, which I'm really close to said to not stress about it and explained to me all the things I needed to know like going to the panel and stuff. Any advice, tips or anything? I've already got a warning letter before btw. Thanks!
its a just a letter remedy i want it removed from file i dont agree with it and i want to keep my job. and just get ready for many more welcome to the club

Southwestern

A suspension letter is just that -- notice of the company's intent to suspend you.

You can:
(1) attempt to negotiate with your manager; e.g. if you go 90-days without a misload, the letter (and suspension) will be tossed out
(2) agree to serve the suspension
(3) grieve the suspension; in which case #1 may be agreed to, or alternatively, the suspension will be reduced; this could happen at the building level or the panel hearing (or an agreement struck in between).

Have your steward discuss the situation with your manager. If he's not willing to offer #1, or a working suspension, it may be best to serve it. If the problem persists, you will be terminated, regardless of the length of suspension (and panel ain't pretty). If you're struggling with misloads, asked to be moved to a non-loading position.

Cementups

Box Monkey
They don't do crap about misleads in our building. My loader has at least 1 every day. The other day I had 5 walked in wrong cars for my neighbor. Anything done to loader? Not a chance. And the more we complain about the loads, the less they do.

nystripe96

Misloads are the sorters fault. If the package wasn't picked off and sent to the recycle than it shouldn't be the loaders problem. You won't get suspended. Maybe moved to the unload which ya isn't that bad, but even a caveman can do it. <----------- Coincidental Geico plug

menotyou

bella amicizia
Always include this clause in any grievance-'and all other articles that may apply.'

ALWAYS REBUTT ANY WRITE-UP. You are simply telling your side of the story in a grievance form so that you have a paper to match their paper in your file. ALWAYS cover your butt. Should you ever end up at panel, the arbitrator reads that stuff. You might not get another opportunity to present your side.

UPSER110

Wait can anyone tell me where it talks about missloads in the contract?? I havent seen it anywhere.. that's BS and the steward should stand up for you! Oh and dont believe anything your sup says, they lie.

nystripe96

My supe yesterday told me my pph is faster when I work alone rather than with someone else because I talk too much. Lies lies lies. They're just puppets. I just yawn when they try to BS me

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Wait can anyone tell me where it talks about missloads in the contract?? I havent seen it anywhere.. that's BS and the steward should stand up for you! Oh and dont believe anything your sup says, they lie.

There isnt anything about missloads in the contract. I would see it has missloads fall under production. Yet a shop steward here would say otherwise. Filing might be a bad thing. Sad, UPS scares people into thinking they will become targets if they do. Theres a person loading feeders on my side. He's been fire 3-4 times now, biggest part of it was about filing too many times, which is BS ( not filing parsay, but they made him into a target ). But if you do get the time off, enjoy it. When you get back, file and get paid for the time off that you had, easy money

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
My supe yesterday told me my pph is faster when I work alone rather than with someone else because I talk too much. Lies lies lies. They're just puppets. I just yawn when they try to BS me

Oh yea, such bull. I dont like getting help myself, usally they slow me down, get in the way and such. I can see where drivers complain about helpers at the end of the year. One driver told me " its more like driver hinderance, then helping ".

I love those three guys down at the end, always talking with each other. Clean cages all night too. I bust my butt all night, and always have stuff in cages. Yet its always me who is first pick to go do eregs. Dont worry kids, they pay for it later, lulz.

washington57

ORLY it sounds like you have more pieces to load than them. If their cages are clean and yours aren't then tell your supervisor to ask one of them because you are busy.

klolx

There isnt anything about missloads in the contract. I would see it has missloads fall under production. Yet a shop steward here would say otherwise. Filing might be a bad thing. Sad, UPS scares people into thinking they will become targets if they do. Theres a person loading feeders on my side. He's been fire 3-4 times now, biggest part of it was about filing too many times, which is BS ( not filing parsay, but they made him into a target ). But if you do get the time off, enjoy it. When you get back, file and get paid for the time off that you had, easy money

I'm still a bit new here and I want to know my rights. So if i get the day off, when I get back, can I grieve and get paid for that day off?

Southwestern

UPS scares people into thinking they will become targets if they file grievances? Um, management MAKES people targets if they file grievances. Heck, they don't even have to file grievances -- they need only ask for their contracted rights (e.g. 3.5 guarantee, signing intent sheets, exercising seniority, etc.) and they;ll become targets.

Oh, and UPS does not fire anybody without first ensuring there's a paper trail. If you participate in any 'union activity' (say, you request your 3.5) you can expect that the paper trail will begin: every time you get a drink of water, yawn, scratch your behind, etc. - it will all be documented so UPS can make something up. Get fired, you'll probably get your job back... but those 5-seconds you spent scratching your behind will be enough to deny you back pay.

Yes, I'm exaggerating but you get the point. Back pay's rarely offered, even when the company's dead wrong.