Getting bumped by lesser seniority employee

I am a part-time sorter and was recently sent home by the sup so that an employee with less seniority with a staggered start time can get his 3 and a half hours are they allowed to do this? I already had 4 and a half hours at this point but I missed out on about another 20 mins of work. She said that one of our stewards said it was ok as long he doesn't go over my time. I am thinking of bringing up the subject with a different steward in the hub.

underworked1

All work is delegated based on seniority. File a grievance and get paid for his work. He showed up to work so he is entitled to a certain amount of work, but that is ups's problem. If your steward is that retarded go to another to file or call your BA

All work is delegated based on seniority. File a grievance and get paid for his work. He showed up to work so he is entitled to a certain amount of work, but that is ups's problem. If your steward is that retarded go to another to file or call your BA
Another question are they allowed to bring combo / 22.3 workers from another area to come and finish up work in our
area and send us part timers home?

underworked1

Another question are they allowed to bring combo / 22.3 workers from another area to come and finish up work in our
I don't think so but I'm not sure. You for sure get a guaranteed amount of hours just for showing up. If they say we are out of work and to go home and you have only worked 2 hours tell them that is fine but yiu want your guaranteed hours. They will find something for you to do.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
No. The steward is right.

The junior employee has a right to his hours over the op.

The only time there would be a problem would be if the junior employee worked MORE hours. Then the op could file.

BrownTexas

The only time there would be a problem would be if the junior employee worked MORE hours. Then the op could file.
That's not true. Seniority trumps. He won't get paid for the time as he worked more than the junior. But he should still file a grievance.

Brownslave688

That's not true. Seniority trumps. He won't get paid for the time as he worked more than the junior. But he should still file a grievance.
It does not trump if the junior employee hasn't relceibed his guaranteed hours.

That's like saying me as a driver has a right to 12 hours of work even though someone under me only has 5.

Last edited:

Overpaid Union Thug

It does not trump if the junior employee hasn't relceibed his guaranteed hours.

That's like saying me as a driver has a right to 12 hours of work even though someone under me only has 5.
There are many in my center that believe that. Whenever a driver won't get their 8 (or won't plan 8) they'll get sent to make someone else's pickup(s) and/or to get some work from another driver. If certain people find out they start whining about that being extra work.

Brownslave688

There are many in my center that believe that. Whenever a driver won't get their 8 (or won't plan 8) they'll get sent to make someone else's pickup(s) and/or to get some work from another driver. If certain people find out they start whining about that being extra work.
Same thing in my center. There's a difference between extra work and evening dispatch.

Does he still have a right to 3 and a half even though he came in late due to having a staggered start time.

If he reported at this start time then yes. Staggered start has nothing to do with it.

hmm ok then well if they do this again am I allowed to bump the junior employees in the unloads for the cleanup such as doing re-wraps on open packages and what not. Is that considered extra work that I as a senior employee should have a right to.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
hmm ok then well if they do this again am I allowed to bump the junior employees in the unloads for the cleanup such as doing re-wraps on open packages and what not. Is that considered extra work that I as a senior employee should have a right to.
Depends. Is that a regular job or is it really extra work? Do those employees already have their guaranteed hours?

browntroll

i always wondered about this but never have come across this issue till recently with all the new hires.
normally our hub goes by seniority rules but new hires are not allowed to sort specially if not trained to do
so, recently i heard they have new hires not only sorting but doing corrections/clerking and even going from
one area to the next getting more hours in positions seniority employees never got the chance to train for.

If you don't complain about your assignment, management assumes that you are content with your situation. You will not be bothered and management will find someone else to fill the holes in the operation.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Actual extra work is usually work that is performed after your guarantee.

Say employee A has more seniority than employee B and they've both met their guarantee.

Then if employee C calls in sick, that work goes first to A, but also can be forced onto B if A declines it.

If B only has one hour into their shift, and A has 4, the work goes to B.

Employee A could definitely make the case for any work hours over their already completed 4 if B exceeds that. It's probably miniscule though unless it's habitual.

Save your powder for a different battle unless it's happening a lot. Keep a diary of these things for reference.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I am a part-time sorter and was recently sent home by the sup so that an employee with less seniority with a staggered start time can get his 3 and a half hours are they allowed to do this?

The company has a contractual obligation, to fulfill the guarantee.

So the answer is yes.

All work is delegated based on seniority.

Assigned work ?

If your contractual (guarantee) has been met.... sure.

Seniority trumps.

With all things being "equal".

It does not trump if the junior employee hasn't received his guaranteed hours.

Yep.

Does he still have a right to 3 and a half even though he came in late due to having a staggered start time.

Absolutely.

If he reported at this start time then yes. Staggered start has nothing to do with it.

Yep.

Is that a regular job or is it really extra work?

Actual extra work is usually work that is performed after your guarantee.

"Extra work"

Has been consistently defined.... as work;

That is unplanned, or unscheduled.

-Bug-

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
The company has a contractual obligation, to fulfill the guarantee.

So the answer is yes.

Assigned work ?

If your contractual (guarantee) has been met.... sure.

With all things being "equal".

Yep.

Absolutely.

Yep.

"Extra work"

Has been consistently defined.... as work;

That is unplanned, or unscheduled.

Yes, agreed.

-Bug-

browntroll

so if person A and person B start at the same time in the same area, they send person A home after guarantee but keep
person B for longer hours to work in a different area can person A (assuming they have more seniority) file a grievance?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

so if person A and person B start at the same time in the same area, they send person A home after guarantee but keep
person B for longer hours to work in a different area can person A (assuming they have more seniority) file a grievance?

Yes unless they agreed to go home or are not qualified to do the work in that area.