Getting bumped by lesser seniority employee

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by notsure3335, Mar 4, 2016.

1. notsure3335

notsure3335 New Member

I am a part-time sorter and was recently sent home by the sup so that an employee with less seniority with a staggered start time can get his 3 and a half hours are they allowed to do this? I already had 4 and a half hours at this point but I missed out on about another 20 mins of work. She said that one of our stewards said it was ok as long he doesn't go over my time. I am thinking of bringing up the subject with a different steward in the hub.
  2. underworked1

underworked1 Active Member

All work is delegated based on seniority. File a grievance and get paid for his work. He showed up to work so he is entitled to a certain amount of work, but that is ups's problem. If your steward is that retarded go to another to file or call your BA
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. notsure3335

notsure3335 New Member

Another question are they allowed to bring combo / 22.3 workers from another area to come and finish up work in our
    area and send us part timers home?
  4. underworked1

underworked1 Active Member

I don't think so but I'm not sure. You for sure get a guaranteed amount of hours just for showing up. If they say we are out of work and to go home and you have only worked 2 hours tell them that is fine but yiu want your guaranteed hours. They will find something for you to do.
  5. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

No. The steward is right.

The junior employee has a right to his hours over the op.

The only time there would be a problem would be if the junior employee worked MORE hours. Then the op could file.
  6. BrownTexas

BrownTexas Well-Known Member

That's not true. Seniority trumps. He won't get paid for the time as he worked more than the junior. But he should still file a grievance.
  7. Brownslave688

It does not trump if the junior employee hasn't relceibed his guaranteed hours.

That's like saying me as a driver has a right to 12 hours of work even though someone under me only has 5.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  8. Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union Thug Eva Mendez Has A Nice (_!_)

There are many in my center that believe that. Whenever a driver won't get their 8 (or won't plan 8) they'll get sent to make someone else's pickup(s) and/or to get some work from another driver. If certain people find out they start whining about that being extra work.
  9. Brownslave688

Same thing in my center. There's a difference between extra work and evening dispatch.
  10. notsure3335

notsure3335 New Member

Does he still have a right to 3 and a half even though he came in late due to having a staggered start time.
  11. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

If he reported at this start time then yes. Staggered start has nothing to do with it.
  12. notsure3335

notsure3335 New Member

hmm ok then well if they do this again am I allowed to bump the junior employees in the unloads for the cleanup such as doing re-wraps on open packages and what not. Is that considered extra work that I as a senior employee should have a right to.
  13. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

Depends. Is that a regular job or is it really extra work? Do those employees already have their guaranteed hours?
  14. browntroll

browntroll Active Member

i always wondered about this but never have come across this issue till recently with all the new hires.
    normally our hub goes by seniority rules but new hires are not allowed to sort specially if not trained to do
    so, recently i heard they have new hires not only sorting but doing corrections/clerking and even going from
    one area to the next getting more hours in positions seniority employees never got the chance to train for.
  15. The Razor's Edge

The Razor's Edge New Member

If you don't complain about your assignment, management assumes that you are content with your situation. You will not be bothered and management will find someone else to fill the holes in the operation.
  16. MC4YOU2

MC4YOU2 Yep, not wearing brown anymore

Actual extra work is usually work that is performed after your guarantee.

Say employee A has more seniority than employee B and they've both met their guarantee.

Then if employee C calls in sick, that work goes first to A, but also can be forced onto B if A declines it.

If B only has one hour into their shift, and A has 4, the work goes to B.

Employee A could definitely make the case for any work hours over their already completed 4 if B exceeds that. It's probably miniscule though unless it's habitual.

Save your powder for a different battle unless it's happening a lot. Keep a diary of these things for reference.
  17. BigUnionGuy

BigUnionGuy Got the T-Shirt

The company has a contractual obligation, to fulfill the guarantee.

So the answer is yes.

Assigned work ?

If your contractual (guarantee) has been met.... sure.

With all things being "equal".

"Extra work"

Has been consistently defined.... as work;

That is unplanned, or unscheduled.

18. MC4YOU2

MC4YOU2 Yep, not wearing brown anymore

19. browntroll

browntroll Active Member

so if person A and person B start at the same time in the same area, they send person A home after guarantee but keep
    person B for longer hours to work in a different area can person A (assuming they have more seniority) file a grievance?
  20. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Yes unless they agreed to go home or are not qualified to do the work in that area.