Getting hurt at work.

Indecisi0n

If someone got hurt at work and is getting denied medical help from UPS (MRI/xrays etc) will the union provide a lawyer to fight for him to get these test? If yes can you tell me where in the contract this is. I am asking for a good friend. Thank you.

UPSGUY72

You get hurt at work notify your SUP then drag your ass to the ER and tell them you got hurt at work then they start all the paper work for you on a workman comp claim. If they want you to go see there DR also so be but take care CYA.

barnyard

KTM rider
The union does not provide a lawyer for comp cases. Your coworker's best bet is to search your state's worker's comp laws, read them and understand them. If he/she does not understand the law, get an attorney. The path most comp cases go, when working with a comp doctor is: PT, lots of pt; when the pt does not work, order more advanced imaging; proceed according to what the imaging shows.

Most of the time, unless there is a bone protruding or something really obvious, advanced imaging will not be ordered until cheaper therapies are exhausted.

Indecisi0n

He got hurt and went to ER. They said it was nothing. He filed injury at work and thy sent him to their doc. UPS "doc" says he is fine and won't order addition testing.

barnyard

KTM rider
If both the ER doc and the WC doc said it was, 'nothing' there is not going to be a whole lot that can be done. Especially if a non-comp doc said nothing is wrong.

barnyard

KTM rider
If the coworker tries to fight it, UPS will use the report from the ER doc to support what the WC Doc says. Chances are, a judge reviewing the case would not find for the coworker.

OptimusPrime

As to not start another thread, is there any recourse for long duration injuries? My left shoulder gives me fits here and there, and it's pretty obvious to me it's a repetitive motion injury from sorting. I'm FT PC now, but fear that in the future it will one day rear it's ugly head. Like I said, it comes and goes. I assume UPS would fight this tooth and nail? No smoking gun, not like I blew my shoulder out at work or anything.

barnyard

KTM rider
and if the coworker goes to another Doc to try and get advanced imaging and does find a Doc that prescribes it, if nothing is found, your coworker will be on the hook for the charges. Plus the Comp people will have a good case of doctor shopping.

k946

Every state has different laws for workmans comp. Tell him to look up the labor and industry sector of his state on the computer, it should direct him from there. From that point it is just a matter of educating yourself. On the freight side, when I got hurt I was offered a union atty. but refused, got one on my own(just my preference) UPS has enough bed fellows. I do know in some states you have to treat with a company Dr. for 90 days then you can seek out your own Dr.....No matter how it goes, from experience here UPS and LM will stall at every step of the way, thats the reason I looked for outside counsel.

UPSGUY72

He got hurt and went to ER. They said it was nothing. He filed injury at work and thy sent him to their doc. UPS "doc" says he is fine and won't order addition testing.

This person has seen three Dr. The first one at the ER says he fins and the second one the one UPS sent him to says he fine but the third one that he went to wants to do more test. Maybe the OP needs to go see a 4th Dr and see what that one says.

He wasn't denied anything. Sounds like he shopping for a Dr. People that shop for Dr. are looking for free money either from a settlement or workmans comp.